Sponsored

Automatic On Demand 4x4...is it worth 10 Benjamins?

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My old 05 F150 FX4 just had 2H, 4H, & 4L.
My wife's Expedition has the 4A option, but we have never really used it. I tell her to use it when it snows, but I doubt she does.
Subject line says it all...is it worth 1K?

PROACTIVE All Wheel Drive - how it works? AWD / 4WD on demand system

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
True.

Still works better for me personally vs a part time system though.

How does it compare to Jeep and Toyota’s full time system?
As far as I know Jeep and Toyota don't offer a full time AWD system in the states.

Most manufacturers use either selectable 4wd (4Hi, 4Lo, 2wd) like the standard Bronco Tcase, Automatic AWD (Front or rear wheel drive until slippage is detected), or a combination of the two like the upgraded Bronco Tcase.

Subaru, Audi, perhaps some of the other German manufacturers, are the only full time (front AND rear wheels powered ALWAYS) AWD system users that I can think of. Focus RS was I THINK.

Last edited:

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess for some reason I was assuming that the Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On-Demand Engagement was something that would come standard when you option the 10-speed auto similar to the trail control and trail turn assist. Also looks like the one-pedal driving comes with the 2.7L. Looking at the website now I see that the Advanced 4x4 is not dependent upon either the 2.7L or 10-speed options, or at least it doesn't come out and say it. Now I'm concerned about how much that option is going to cost.

eatworksleepdie

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Renegade, 20' Wrangler, 92' VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
on my Renegade, I usually turn off all the traction control settings with 4x4 on, especially in the snow. It's more predictable to me.

Derek47

Wildtrak
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I use 4A in my F-150 pretty often when I’m driving like an a$$hole. Whether it’s trying to race to a merge or driving too fast in the rain, it has come in quite handy.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As far as I know Jeep and Toyota don't offer a full time AWD system in the states.
Most manufacturers use either selectable 4wd (4Hi, 4Lo, 2wd) like the standard Bronco Tcase, Automatic AWD (Front or rear wheel drive until slippage is detected), or a combination of the two like the upgraded Bronco tcase.

Subaru, Audi, perhaps some of the other German manufacturers, are the only full time (front AND rear wheels powered ALWAYS) AWD system users that I can think of. Focus RS was I THINK.
[/QUOTE]

Focus RS used the GKN Twinster system, which was also used on several other models include the Land Rover Evoque.

Surabu uses several different styles of AWD, some of which have a mechanical/viscous f/r torque split, and some use an electromagnetic clutch to vary front/rear split. The second kind isn't really any different from the common Haldex that uses an electromagnetic or fluid clutch to transfer power front to rear.

Setups like the Twinser, Audi's Sport Differential, BMW's active M diff, and a very select few Subarus can actively transfer power side to side. The vast majority of Subarus just pulse the brakes on the slipping wheel to send power to the other side. The aforementioned diffs typically have clutches on each axle that can actively vary lockup and move power as needed.

I'd say a system that is actively sending power to all four wheels 100% of the time is a huge disadvantage to a vehicle. Making it driver-selectable or condition-dependent provides a huge benefit to fuel economy, wear-and-tear, and drivability.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd say a system that is actively sending power to all four wheels 100% of the time is a huge disadvantage to a vehicle. Making it driver-selectable or condition-dependent provides a huge benefit to fuel economy, wear-and-tear, and drivability.
Somebody has never driven a first generation STi all locked up on the dirt!

In all seriousness, it totally depends on what you're doing with it. Personally, I don't sweat a few MPGs, I find modern vehicles to be quite reliable when well maintained, and the grip of actual AWD can be a HUGE benefit to driveability in certain (most) cases.

For the Bronco I feel the given choices to be most logical.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most manufacturers use either selectable 4wd (4Hi, 4Lo, 2wd) like the standard Bronco Tcase,
the current toyota land cruisers and lexus equivalents are still full time AWD with lockable center diffs and two speed transfer case. (most owners of said vehicles have never locked the center diff or actuated low range)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
the current toyota land cruisers and lexus equivalents are still full time AWD with lockable center diffs and two speed transfer case. (most owners of said vehicles have never locked the center diff or actuated low range)
I knew there was somebody I forgot.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have always had older 4X4's with just the basic T-Box and a manual shifter, never had AWD so this will be a new experience. Even had to stop to shift into 4X4 and lock the front hubs (yes I am THAT old). But I have driven up to 10X10's on the fire line so I don't expect any problems.
Early Bronco's had manual lock-out hubs! (y)

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Somebody has never driven a first generation STi all locked up on the dirt!
Yes, it's great because it has a driver-selectable locking center diff. It's not a lethargic n/a flat four wheezing into a CVT vaguely throwing power around like most Subarus.

In all seriousness, it totally depends on what you're doing with it. Personally, I don't sweat a few MPGs, I find modern vehicles to be quite reliable when well maintained, and the grip of actual AWD can be a HUGE benefit to driveability in certain (most) cases.
And in the real world, the performance advantage of a "true" AWD system in a non-racing application compared to a "fake" Haldex system is almost nil. But the advantage of being able to "unlock" and go into 2wd mode is real.

For the Bronco I feel the given choices to be most logical.
Certainly.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, it's great because it has a driver-selectable locking center diff. It's not a lethargic n/a flat four wheezing into a CVT vaguely throwing power around like most Subarus.
Well, we were talking about AWD systems. Not transmissions or base engine choices

And in the real world, the performance advantage of a "true" AWD system in a non-racing application compared to a "fake" Haldex system is almost nil. But the advantage of being able to "unlock" and go into 2wd mode is real.
What is this "non-racing application" you speak of?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, we were talking about AWD systems. Not transmissions or base engine choices
There was a whiff of "only Subaru makes REAL AWD" in your post, which is a dumb thing people on the internet won't stop repeating, because Subaru mostly makes junk AWD.

What is this "non-racing application" you speak of?
Something boring people do. I've heard.

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe its in the 7 pages somewhere, but lets start with how you assigned a price tag of $1000 to it. This is presumptive. My impression and feedback is that this might not be a stand alone option but included with Sasquatch but I can't confirm that it is stand alone a la carte or package deal. Was curious how you decided $1000

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There was a whiff of "only Subaru makes REAL AWD" in your post, which is a dumb thing people on the internet won't stop repeating, because Subaru mostly makes junk AWD.

Something boring people do. I've heard.
You mistake my arrogant correction of the poster's terminology for fanboism. I literally listed at least 3 other manufacturers of full time AWD systems. And never said "real."

While I am a fan of Subarus (the fun ones), I'm not a blind zealot. Although, one might call your classification of junk the opposite end of that same spectrum.
Sponsored