Sponsored

Automatic On Demand 4x4...is it worth 10 Benjamins?

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why do so many of you think that 4wd actively engaging without your input is going to help with stopping or turning?

Auto 4wd isn't going to make a vehicle safer in any way. If you can't start from a stop in bad pavement conditions then you shouldn't be driving in those conditions.
No one said that 4WD makes the vehicle stop and turn better. It simply allows forward motion in conditions where 2WD may not. But that is why I said previously that poor conditions require proper tires. I'll say to anyone that'll listen - the tires are the car's most important part. If you need to drive in slippery conditions, you should put your money on snow tires first, 4WD second.

Still, I'd contest the safety aspect statement, to a degree. Having positive drive on both ends of the vehicle would make it more stable, from a handling point of view. It would be less likely to fish tail, for example, then it would in RWD mode. That makes it safer for the less skilled driver. You can argue that 4A isn't really necessary, but if I were buying a car for my mother I'd include it just the same. See previous anecdote...
Sponsored

Last edited:

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Uggh, I'll bet the vehicles up there are in better shape than ours in Chicago-land. Their reliance on that stuff gets worse every year. They also tend to lean more towards the harsher chemicals every year also. It's absolutely a rust catalyst where 1+1 does not equal 2
Like I read in another thread....poster needs full size paint samples so he can decide which color will go best with caked on salt spray! LOL

When I go back to the Midwest I cry. Rust is a non-issue here, no broken bolts, rusted brake lines..notta. My 97 Explorer with 139k is in better shape/rust free than what I see 3-4 year old vehicles in the rust belt.

Now we go through windshields every 2 years from all the gravel. But that's a small price to pay.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Changing the gearing would cost atleast 500 so you are halfway there. Then factor in AWD and convience and your about broken even.

WNC_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4,2017 Honda Civic LX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4A IS completely uneccessary. completely a dress up item IMO and I have lived in the snow belt all my life. But, I will take it to get the lower low range!
Can you turn it off or is it always on type of thing?

I am used to the old way of turning on 4H like in my Tacoma when the weather gets bad

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
My old 05 F150 FX4 just had 2H, 4H, & 4L.
My wife's Expedition has the 4A option, but we have never really used it. I tell her to use it when it snows, but I doubt she does.
Subject line says it all...is it worth 1K?
I lived in Boston 15 years, skied in Vermont every weekend and headed north every time it snowed. I've owned Wrangers, Defenders and a 4 Runner and became proficient driving in snow. After a while, it becomes fun as you master control of slides and fish tails. I know when I need 4wd and engaging it is easy. For me, I'd rather be in control instead of having the computer do things for me. I'd take the feature if it were free, but definitely wouldn't pay for it. Also, it's one more thing that can malfunction over time. I do understand why many folks that lack confidence in their driving skills will want this feature. :)

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you turn it off or is it always on type of thing?

I am used to the old way of turning on 4H like in my Tacoma when the weather gets bad
You select it, just as you need to select 4hi/4lo. If you get it, you’ll have 4A, 4hi/4lo, and 2h.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No one said that 4WD makes the vehicle stop and turn better. It simply allows forward motion in conditions where 2WD may not. But that is why I said previously that poor conditions require proper tires. I'll say to anyone that'll listen - the tires are the car's most important part. If you need to drive in slippery conditions, you should put your money on snow tires first, 4WD second.

Still, I'd contest the safety aspect statement, to a degree. Having positive drive on both ends of the vehicle would make it more stable, from a handling point of view. It would be less likely to fish tail, for example, then it would in RWD mode. That makes it safer for the less skilled driver. You can argue that 4A isn't really necessary, but if I were buying a car for my mother I'd include it just the same. See previous anecdote...
I would much rather learn about road conditions from the rear breaking loose during acceleration than deceleration!

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was there any info Re: the 4A being included w/ the Sasquatch package or can it also be Had an individual option?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I find this debate interesting. With all the known performance/handling improvements with AWD cars, to think 4A is worthless seems like a stretch... have you never taken a corner or been driving and hit a unexpected patch of anything that makes a wheel(s) loose traction? Ever Hydroplaned before? Hell, ever accelerated into oncoming traffic either at a right turn stop light or trying to get across traffic between waves of cars, only to find you spinning the drive wheels or fish tailing?

Each to their own for sure. And spending extra to get that feature vs a different feature is totally up to individual priorities. But there is real substance to what situational 4x4 can offer... it's up to you.

For me, being able to plant that 400lbs of torque from my 2.7L V6 solidly on the ground.. hell yes it's worth $1k (y)

Sponsored

Tangent27

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Passat 2013 Road King 1987 BMW e30
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In case it wasn’t mentioned the transfer case that gives one 4A mode is also the one that gives one a 90+ crawl ratio ( with the manual transmission )

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find this debate interesting. With all the known performance/handling improvements with AWD cars, to think 4A is worthless seems like a stretch... have you never taken a corner or been driving and hit a unexpected patch of anything that makes a wheel(s) loose traction? Ever Hydroplaned before? Hell, ever accelerated into oncoming traffic either at a right turn stop light or trying to get across traffic between waves of cars, only to find you spinning the drive wheels or fish tailing?

Each to their own for sure. And spending extra to get that feature vs a different feature is totally up to individual priorities. But there is real substance to what situational 4x4 can offer... it's up to you.

For me, being able to plant that 400lbs of torque from my 2.7L V6 solidly on the ground.. hell yes it's worth $1k (y)
Not to toot my own horn...but I have adequate driving skills to handle all of the fire breathing torque of any engine Ford has ever produced in any production vehicle. I can't "drive over" gear ratios tho...so I will take the addl Low range thank you! If the 4A makes you happy then more power to ya!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In case it wasn’t mentioned the transfer case that gives one 4A mode is also the one that gives one a 90+ crawl ratio ( with the manual transmission )

Correct me if I’m wrong.
That is true...that claim was based on manual badlands in crawl gear w/4.70...95-1

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep get it for the gearing and maybe also get it for the shenannigans. I think 4A is a great gear to go fast in sand and soft fields and stuff like that when you want to throw 4 wheel rooster tails but dont want to worry about driveline binding and increasing wear.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thought they would have corrected the “Mut”/ruts by now...

Ford Bronco Automatic On Demand 4x4...is it worth 10 Benjamins? Capture.PNG

Mutt ruts?....that's what my dog leaves in the carpet after he drags his junk over it....
Sponsored