First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the fine folks over at Autopian have an interesting read on how a lot of audio systems installed in today's vehicles are all sourced from the same supplier but (mostly) just badged/branded to provide the illusion of differentiation. Not surprising to anyone that is into HiFi (or whatever the kids call it today) as we've watched Harman gobble up audio companies one after another (and I'm not a Harman hater, my FIRST integrated amp was an HK, LOL - but boy that was some time ago!). There is a call out to the B&O system that Ford is selling as "premium" though this *specific* reference is to the Bronco Sport; I can't imagine that Ford kicked in any bigger bucks to make the non-Sport model systems any different.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-open-secret-behind-most-premium-car-audio-systems/
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice read, thanks for sharing. I opted for the B&O in my Badlands and it's ok. A step down from the Lexicon system in my 2019 Genesis G70. The Bronco's sub rattle is getting to me a little bit so I may start fiddling with fixing those creaks and using some polyfil. I mostly justified the upgraded audio package for the prewiring and framework as I only intend to maybe swap speakers down the road. No plans on going extreme because an automobile is not a critical listening environment, especially with the wind noise of my roof rack!

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Um, I bought an Appalachian snow runner, not a stereo* system. If you're interested in HI Fi* you're buying the wrong thing. An off road vehicle is not a great acoustic environment for audiophiles. Can't put enough lipstick on that pig to make it one...

*Old time terms.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Um, I bought an Appalachian snow runner, not a stereo* system. If you're interested in HI Fi* you're buying the wrong thing. An off road vehicle is not a great acoustic environment for audiophiles. Can't put enough lipstick on that pig to make it one...
All of the upgrades people are doing to improve the bad factory system disprove your theory. I don’t know why people like to make excuses for Ford’s poor execution in many areas.

*Old time terms.

OP
OP
Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

*Old time terms.
Right, OK, I was never saying a vehicle is an ideal environment for critical music appreciation - please keep in mind that I am not the one marketing these systems as such, it is the auto manufacturers that are doing so - just to clear up any confusion you may have.

Sponsored

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

*Old time terms.
Glad you speak for everyone. If I’m spending hours driving I’m going to be listening to music, if I’m listening to music I want it to sound as tonally accurate as possible. The OEM system sounds like a crappy set of free headphones they hand out on a plane. The “B&O” System sounds like a set of headphones that came with by Discman in the 90’s.

OEM audio, especially Harman based systems are crap, crap that they think people won’t think sounds like crap if they slap a “brand” on that used so mean something.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Glad you speak for everyone. If I’m spending hours driving I’m going to be listening to music, if I’m listening to music I want it to sound as tonally accurate as possible. The OEM system sounds like a crappy set of free headphones they hand out on a plane. The “B&O” System sounds like a set of headphones that came with by Discman in the 90’s.

OEM audio, especially Harman based systems are crap, crap that they think people won’t think sounds like crap if they slap a “brand” on that used so mean something.
All good. Not putting anyone else's choices down. But I can't imagine anyone thinking that a Bronco will under any circumstances be a concert hall experience.

Pretty sure very few up in here actually rode in a gen 1 Bronco. The rattle from the tailgate damn year drowned out the AM radio. Matter of perspective I guess...

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

People buy cars/trucks for different reasons. If you care about audio, you need to be able to hear clear, low distortion audio over the road noise. Because the Bronco is a boxy, noisy vehicle (even with the top on and windows rolled up) it needs a better audio system than an aerodynamic sedan. Better amplification and better quality speakers get you there. Anybody who orders the Lux package is paying over $50K for the truck. Ford: spending an extra $500 to make the B&O system a little better just makes sense. Or, make it a stand alone option. Trust me, if I could order Lux without B&O I would do so in a heartbeat. The base system is far easier to upgrade. Many of us are ordering Lux for the Adaptive Cruise Control and other tech features.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I knew going in from others the bronco audio was lacking. Had no idea how lacking until I got my truck. Needless to say that was tossed in the trash and replaced.

What I was really surprised about is the difference between the bronco and my suburbans bose system. Being 2022 I didn’t think they would be that far apart. Gm produces a excellent sound stage with the basic Bose setup in the Burbans. Escalade has 31 or 37 speakers in that. Not much different than the burban for sound. Damn broncos audio was worse than the $24 transistor radio I just bought. Our can am audio systems are better than the broncos to. My 99 f-150 with 4 speakers sounded better then my bronco.

This is my first ford in 20 years. Not sure if all fords have this poor quality audio in them. Some things ford did I like better than gms, but gm also did a lot of thing better than ford did too. Just learn to live with the differences. Neither vehicle is perfect.

It does get confusing if not fully awake in the morning switching between the 2. I do love both trucks.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The sound is going to be my biggest disappointment with the Bronco (assuming it doesn't just decide to wig out and leave me stranded). My 2015 Jeep has a great system in it and the off road box amplifies the alpine sub that Jeep put on the back.

It astounds me that Ford handicapped the rear speakers so bad. Especially knowing that they specifically wanted to beat Jeep with that open air experience. Meaning The Wrangler has rear speakers almost right above the driver's head in the middle of vehicle. If Ford wanted to move that bar to the back, they should have known that the speakers needed to have a little more umph... But instead, they actually dumb them down even worse than just a regular stock speaker....makes no sense.

tigerpete

Outer Banks
First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 explorer/2019 escape
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The sub rattle comes from the panel where the sub is. If you remove the access panel for soft top bolts there is two pieces of plastic that are right on top of each other(on the right side of access hole. I put a small piece of microfiber between them. rattle gone

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The sub rattle comes from the panel where the sub is. If you remove the access panel for soft top bolts there is two pieces of plastic that are right on top of each other(on the right side of access hole. I put a small piece of microfiber between them. rattle gone
Awesome, thank you for sharing that fix! I'm going to be trying this. Have you experimented with Polyfil in the cavities?

tigerpete

Outer Banks
First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 explorer/2019 escape
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

no. didnt bother after rattle gone