Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Relays have other uses than what’s been discussed, including the ability to add multiple normally-open and normally-closed ”dry“ contacts.

I am considering adding a solenoid valve on the fuel line that I can wire to two auxiliary switches, then set in an on/off combination that’s necessary to open the fuel valve. I may also add a switch hidden in the cab or under the body somewhere and use it and one or more of the auxiliaries. Again, just thinking about it at this time.

If a would-be thief tries to steal my Bronco they won’t get far before running out of fuel unless they have the switches set to open the fuel line up. It’s peace of mind when parking with the top and/or doors off.
I like this. However a simpler solution would be one or more switches in circuit to the fuel pump relay fuse. I replaced the fuel pump relay fuse in all my cars with this. They are all hidden and at least one is within easy reach in case I’m carjacked. One press and the car dies immediately as I exit and run. This is sadly now a real threat and need in Chicago.
Sponsored

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand the accessory switches have wires going to the engine bay, but they are just loose wires taped off. If there is room, I plan to add a junction box like this one to make wiring easier and to have a "cleaner" more professional look. Also water resistant. Thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Way-Electrical-Trailer-Junction/dp/B07QDQRX7P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

JctBOX.jpg
This is also a great idea and the first thing I do before wiring additional lights/powered accessories. It would be nice to have junction box that also has a few relays for higher draw items.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They will probably be similar to the Raptor. So just plain wires that end in the engine compartment. Just run your accessories to the bundle and find out which wire goes to which switch and you're good to go! It should be in the owner's manual.
Will the wires go to the fuse box? Or do you need to include an inline fuse in your accessory add on?

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will the wires go to the fuse box? Or do you need to include an inline fuse in your accessory add on?
I don't know where the fuse box is, but I believe the Raptor's upfitter switches are fused in a box in either the driver side or passenger footwell. Each switch should support varying levels which has changed depending on whether its a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor. I believe the Gen 2 Raptors have two 15 amp, two 10 amp, and two 5 amp (from 1-6, but I am not certain). Each switch will also have different gauge wires connected to it depending on what it can support. Which switch is which should be in the owners manual; however, none of this should matter if you only use the switches to trigger relays.

This is just what I know from digging through Raptor forums to try and figure out what our setup might be like. My guess is that ours will be very similar on the Broncos.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Newbie when it comes to customizing here....but looking at LED's front and rear. And I'm seeing, for example, Rigid makes a rear light that's two position, one for a rear drl, one for brighter when you want it: fog....

Do our Aux switches have only on/off? Or is there an Off/Low/High possible? And if not, I guess Rigid or whomever would provide the switch?

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Newbie when it comes to customizing here....but looking at LED's front and rear. And I'm seeing, for example, Rigid makes a rear light that's two position, one for a rear drl, one for brighter when you want it: fog....

Do our Aux switches have only on/off? Or is there an Off/Low/High possible? And if not, I guess Rigid or whomever would provide the switch?
Currently, the Ford AUX switches are on/off only. Others have talked about modifying them to be momentary, but I’m not sure anyone has completely figured it out.

For your purposes, you could always wire the DRL’s into the factory harness so they come on whenever your other lights do and just toggle the fog light with a switch. That’s probably what I would do. Another option is to add a switch pro, but if you’re not adding lots of accessories it’s a bit pricey. If you’re only adding one or two sets of lights, you can probably run all the DRL’s to one switch and then separately toggle the fog light or spot light for each set.

There are lots of options if you’re looking to get a bit creative.

dPhilpott

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could the OEM auxiliary be built to the 10th degree? Sure BUT how many people would really use them? How many manufacturers even offer pre-wired and fused switches?

It is just starting point and if you are the 1% of 1% then you will modify the hell out if it anyway.
I will be ordering a Bronco soon. My LR4 just had a catastrophic engine failure which rendered it useful for parts only. I had since 2013. Was shocked to discover that not only were there no blanks or even spaces to wire switches in the dash, it had no accommodation what so ever for additional LED lighting. I was astounded that such a vehicle not only had no preexisting hardware, it was extremely difficult to install and run. I am so happy Bronco is accommodating this at the start.

I assume there is no pre-run wiring to the rear view mirror base, roof above windshield, etc?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I doubt there will be wires running to the mirrors. There is a bundle in the engine bay that you have to tap into. Ford provides what you need but they have no idea how peeps will use them so you need to tap into the bundle and run wires where you need them. I hope this makes sense.

I will be ordering a Bronco soon. My LR4 just had a catastrophic engine failure which rendered it useful for parts only. I had since 2013. Was shocked to discover that not only were there no blanks or even spaces to wire switches in the dash, it had no accommodation what so ever for additional LED lighting. I was astounded that such a vehicle not only had no preexisting hardware, it was extremely difficult to install and run. I am so happy Bronco is accommodating this at the start.

I assume there is no pre-run wiring to the rear view mirror base, roof above windshield, etc?

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand the accessory switches have wires going to the engine bay, but they are just loose wires taped off. If there is room, I plan to add a junction box like this one to make wiring easier and to have a "cleaner" more professional look. Also water resistant. Thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Way-Electrical-Trailer-Junction/dp/B07QDQRX7P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

JctBOX.jpg
If it helps, I've used the 'Conntec' brand junction box on Amazon under a Military trailer conversion with good success. It has held up very well on a conversion from NATO 12pin through all sorts of conditions and terrain. I did my own soldering/marine shrink and dielectric grease to help bolster what it offers.

A thread I wrote that may be useful:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-12v-and-matching-land-cruiser-spares.154700/

No experience with them on the truck side of the equation (I use an sPod) but quality wise it has held up.

BTW I lived in Corvallis a number of years for OSU then HP. I miss it..in the Summer!

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I’m not getting the aux switch option because I want the overhead sunglass holder, and I don’t have an immediate need for switches. That said I do usually end up putting a switch or two in all my past vehicles.

Anyway, I stumbled upon a pretty cool aftermarket alternative. The Trigger 6-shooter and Trigger 4 Plus. More expensive than OEM option, but has a wireless remote switch panel, as well as smart phone control. Dimmable and momentary switch options as well. Probably too much for my needs, but pretty cool and seems easy to install.

Anybody tried these before?

Sponsored

KnightBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roush Ranger, Lifted Subarus, Harley Davidson, etc
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think it would be the same or similar to the upfitter switches in the Raptors. (had 2 Raptors in the past) There should be wires for connections under the hood and thru firewall for in cab.
But, then again we wont know until we actually get our Broncos. :D

Btw, on the Gen 2 Raptors, the aux wires are on the passenger side of the engine bay, towards the back of the battery.

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My JL has the 4 aux switches wired to 1-Lightbar 2-Rear 3-Left Ditch 4-Right Ditch. 90% of the time I want the light bar and both ditch lights on. Since my Bronco has 6 switches, I've been pondering the best way to wire my lights as I am biding my time to delivery.

Aux1- All front lights, Aux2 - Fog lights, Aux3-Ditch Left, Aux4 Ditch Right, Aux5 Rear Backup, Aux6 Rear Backup and Ditch

I used bridge rectifiers because they are cheap and mount easily.

Ford Bronco Aux switches wiring AuxBridge.JPG
Ford Bronco Aux switches wiring AuxBridgeHardware.JPEG

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone seen how the wiring end points look on the factory AUX switch panel? Just plain wires or more specific connectors?

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is all great info, especially the wiring diagrams. Excellent factory option.

Canonman11

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone know if you will be able to add the Aux switches if not in the order? I have the wires running in the bronco so I am hoping I can replace out the sunglasses in the area where the switches go. I have not seen this yet and also stop by Ford and they are still waiting on the parts to be uploaded into their system yet to even see if available.
Sponsored