MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you saying put an extra relay even though the pre wired switches have a relay already?
Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My super duties have had a bundle of wires under the drivers side dash that are tied to the upfitter switches. Super easy to wire stuff to the switches.
Yeah, I added the Up fitter switches to mine. Came as a kit with the switch bank and a separate relay box. There was a mounting spot and wiring harness for the relay box already in place, would assume the Bronco's would be similar if not gotten as an original option. The relay box had pigtails for the 4 switches. The Superduty also has feed through wires that poke through the firewall to make it easy to extend them (or anything for that matter) into or out of the cabin, albeit the location of the ends suck.

OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I added the Up fitter switches to mine. Came as a kit with the switch bank and a separate relay box. There was a mounting spot and wiring harness for the relay box already in place, would assume the Bronco's would be similar if not gotten as an original option. The relay box had pigtails for the 4 switches. The Superduty also has feed through wires that poke through the firewall to make it easy to extend them (or anything for that matter) into or out of the cabin, albeit the location of the ends suck.
Yeah I was watching some videos of the raptor wiring and I noticed that. There is the bundle that comes from the switches that is already hot.

How exactly would you use the other bundle? Where does it end up in the cabin?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah I was watching some videos of the raptor wiring and I noticed that. There is the bundle that comes from the switches that is already hot.

How exactly would you use the other bundle? Where does it end up in the cabin?
Its under the drivers side dash, the wires split out of a harness and are labeled. Found this pic on the web. Owners manual has info on the amp rating for each switch.
Ford Bronco Aux Switches with Pre-run Wires auxswitch

OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its under the drivers side dash, the wires split out of a harness and are labeled. Found this pic on the web. Owners manual has info on the amp rating for each switch.
Ford Bronco Aux Switches with Pre-run Wires auxswitch
And those are the pass through wires? They still have amp ratings? I thought they wouldn’t be tied to the relay and fuses that the pre wired switches had.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And those are the pass through wires? They still have amp ratings? I thought they wouldn’t be tied to the relay and fuses that the pre wired switches had.
Apologies, I though you were asking about the up fitter wires. The pass through wires are also under the drivers side dash, and are much easier to get to in the cab than the up fitter wires which are up higher. The problem with the pass through wires is they are very short in the engine compartment, tucked up close to the firewall, I just pulled my own wire through the firewall. Hopefully for the Bronco they give us some easy access wiring.

Ford Bronco Aux Switches with Pre-run Wires passthroughwires.PNG

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Guys ... I wired my 2013 Raptor via the oem switches and currently wiring my 2019 Raptor using some of the switches BUT also using a Switch Pro (because I am running some big lights that need more than 15amp).

But let me back up a bit. There are 6 auxiliary switches so there are 6 hot wires in the engine bay where each 1 wire is set aside for each switch. They are color coded and your owners manual will tell you which wire is for which switch.

Switch 1 and 2 will be 15 amps each
Switch 3 and 4 will be 10 amps
Switch 5 And 6 will be 5 amps

NOW ... there is also a bundle inside the car. In every Raptor and SuperDuty, it is the passenger side kick panel. You may be wondering why does Ford have 6 in the engine bay an also 6 in the cab? They are looking out for you and hooking you up. The 6 wires in the cab also represent switch 1-6

Let's say you have for lights on the bumper that draw 7amps to run. In this scenario I would use auxiliary switch 3 or 4 as those switches are rated at 10mps. IMPORTANT, YOU WANT SOME OVER HEAD. For example if your lights draw 10amps then you should NOT hook up 10 amp switch.

So you have bumper lights on switch 3 so switch 3 is being used and you hook up via the corresponding wire in the engine bay.

Let's say you have a radar detector and you want to use so you would hook up to a switch via the wires in the cab. In this scenario switch/wire 3 is no longer available because you are using that for your lights.

So Ford giving you the HOT bundle of 6 wires in the cab so that you don't have to go through the fire wall. They are already routing the wires for you.

Now it gets more involved if you need more than 15 amps. You can either use a relay or you can do what the pros do which is to run a switch pro or spod. The capabilities of the switch pro (see the video below) and spod are off the charts.

My 2013 Raptor with 5 VisionX Lights canons and also a VixionX 20" led bar on a custom bumper all wired via the oem switches. No relays needed.

Ford Bronco Aux Switches with Pre-run Wires 1600264273036

2019 raptor with a custom switchpro 3d-laser printed mount at the sunglass location"

Ford Bronco Aux Switches with Pre-run Wires 1600264657257

Watch this video on the switch pro:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you and the other guys posting in this thread and enlightening me and my ignorance.

How does a relay help you use more amps like for a light bar. Like the pre wired switches allow for up to 15a wouldn't the wire and fuse be the limiting factor there?

You guys really have gone above and beyond and this is gonna be a great source of info when people search it after the Bronco is out.

OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It makes perfect sense. Thanks.

So what I get from it is that connected to the switch is a low amp circuit to turn on the relay. The relay then provides a separate circuit that doesn’t affect the switches circuit.

So you are only using it to turn on that circuit. Which makes sense now because I have read that you keep the relays in the engine bay in case there was a failure it happens in there. None of the big power that is being drawn is fed into the cab.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A relay has its owns fuse (often 30 to 40amps)And The auxiliary switch turns the relay on and off. In this scenario whatever auxiliary is wired into the relay.
Sponsored