Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you don’t have the switches installed from the factory, are the wires still run under the hood and stuff?

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don’t have the switches installed from the factory, are the wires still run under the hood and stuff?
Somewhat. To summarize page 1, you need to source the related parts from your Ford dealer (parts numbers outlined on pg 1) and swap out the a-pillar harness (has wiring for switches), dome light (which adds switches), battery junction box (has necessary fuses and relays for the switches) and program it all up. The OEM harness under the hood has the needed incoming & outgoing wires (you'll see the pigtail under the hood). After that, test the connections & go to town on adding accessories.

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This week I will be adding @Baja Designs pocket and a-pillar lights to my Bronco, further confirming the OEM approach if you made the mistake of ordering your truck without the upfitters.

Has anyone else had success installing their switches?

20220502_133651.jpg

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@RustysBronco This is amazing! The amount of work and investigation here is impressive! I don't want to take you too far off topic, but you may be the only person that can answer this:

Did you get the impression that there is enough room to do some splicing at either end of the harness (either at the switches or the fuse box)? I need to get at the violet/orange wire for Aux-6.

I'm currently trying using an "normally closed" relay to control an "always on" accessory from Aux 6, which works.... Until I want the accessory off; which again works fine until the ignition is off. That's when the non-powered aux switches and delays in powering them on/off really make things funky.

My idea would be soooo much simpler if I could run that circuit directly through the aux-6 violet wire rather than a relay.

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@RustysBronco This is amazing! The amount of work and investigation here is impressive! I don't want to take you too far off topic, but you may be the only person that can answer this:

Did you get the impression that there is enough room to do some splicing at either end of the harness (either at the switches or the fuse box)? I need to get at the violet/orange wire for Aux-6.

I'm currently trying using an "normally closed" relay to control an "always on" accessory from Aux 6, which works.... Until I want the accessory off; which again works fine until the ignition is off. That's when the non-powered aux switches and delays in powering them on/off really make things funky.

My idea would be soooo much simpler if I could run that circuit directly through the aux-6 violet wire rather than a relay.
They really dont leave much slack at all. Just to connect the new BJB I really had a tough time since there wasn't much length. When it comes down to cutting into the factory harnesses, I've always been hesitant of the unforseen consequences (electrical issues, warranty problems, etc). Might be easier to run a dedicated circuit with an in-line fuse off the battery. What are you installing?

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They really dont leave much slack at all. Just to connect the new BJB I really had a tough time since there wasn't much length. When it comes down to cutting into the factory harnesses, I've always been hesitant of the unforseen consequences (electrical issues, warranty problems, etc). Might be easier to run a dedicated circuit with an in-line fuse off the battery. What are you installing?
I have the RSE slider/steps. They come with a dedicated toggle switch & circuit; which I ran to the relay because I already have the Aux switches and I am determined to use them. 😂

My goal looks like a no-win situation for now. Unless, and this is a big if, there is enough room that a guy could get the proper plugs and pins to make a t-harness on one end of the OEM harness. Lots of hassle for small reward, even if possible, though.

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was too excited to wait until later this week to install the pocket lights. Sharing s big thanks to @4x4TruckLEDs.com for shipping me out your last set (thanks for the Airhead candy) and @Baja Designs for manufacturing such a great product.

A-pillar lights are next.

20220502_205907.jpg

20220502_223242.jpg

20220502_223524.jpg

20220502_223508.jpg

20220503_005105.jpg

20220502_234546.jpg

20220503_005051.jpg

Looking forward to hearing everyone's success stories and accessory installs!

Ps. I need ideas for the other 3 switches.

Shoutout to @MangoldFordParts again for the efforts on the project.

Last edited:

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I finally had time to get the fuse box installed. Not too bad, just understand you have to put pressure on the small harness assemblies after you get the main box tabs freed. I was worried I was going to break something, so took a timeout and figured it out. Once applied pressure the bolts fully released. I haven't done the programming yet but no issues so far.

I have dynamic diode SS3 max white spot, SSC2 Pro yellow SAE fog, and SSC2 Pro white Flood. I got them and the bracket from @4x4TruckLEDs.com. I can't wait to try them out once dark. I have the Fogs running off factory since originally had the plastic bumper and had everything already in place for them.

I also installed the Amber BRONCO letters from Oracle.

Again, I can't thank @RustysBronco and @flip for making this a reality.

Better pictures to come but these were as I worked.

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_100740

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_103510

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_110933

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_111004

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_111035

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_111058

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_152627

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_174528

Sponsored
OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally had time to get the fuse box installed. Not too bad, just understand you have to put pressure on the small harness assemblies after you get the main box tabs freed. I was worried I was going to break something, so took a timeout and figured it out. Once applied pressure the bolts fully released. I haven't done the programming yet but no issues so far.

I have dynamic diode SS3 max white spot, SSC2 Pro yellow SAE fog, and SSC2 Pro white Flood. I got them and the bracket from @4x4TruckLEDs.com. I can't wait to try them out once dark. I have the Fogs running off factory since originally had the plastic bumper and had everything already in place for them.

Ford Bronco Aux Upfitter Overhead Switches installed! - DIY writeup instructions & photos 20220506_174528

That's awesome! Any DTC'S showing up if you pull codes? I didn't get a dash light, but there was one when I loaded up ForScan the first time after.

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The lights look great btw!

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's awesome! Any DTC'S showing up if you pull codes? I didn't get a dash light, but there was one when I loaded up ForScan the first time after.
I haven't pulled codes, but no dash lights. I'm going to see if my one auto buddy has the right tool to do the programming. Figured with my most recent experiences at dealerships they wouldn't know what to do even if I brought in the procedure you provided.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kind of like when the wife came out to the garage and found her couple week old 4dr BL in this condition and asked me…”I thought you were just installing a dashcam?” I was but I wanted to see where everything was while I was doing it. Not to mention I went ahead and wired switches 5&6 to be hot at all times.

You'll have to do a write up about making 5 & 6 hot at all times. There's a few guys asking how to do exactly that.

Cosmo

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco big bend 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just checked slots 60-65 on mine and it looks like all the contacts are there. So, it appears all that it needs are actual fuses.
thanks for all this information! did you still have to replace the harness? My 2022 big bend has all the fuse box pins, do you think this could mean the harness is pinned? do you think all I would need is the over head assembly and some fuses? What did you purchase? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Sponsored