Sponsored

Auxillary Switches and compatible replacements.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was reading a thread about reverse lighting and it has me thinking about future projects.

Are the auxillary Switches a proprietary design, or are they swappable with commonly available switches?

I'm thinking it would be handy if 3-position switches or momentary switches were direct, and hopefully matching, replacements.

For example, a 3 position switch would suit my reverse lighting wishes:

Neutral position: no aux reverse lighting (so as not to blind anyone behind me).
Up: Aux reverse lights on (and maybe even more light sources).
Down: Aux reverse lights on only when in reverse.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are a proprietary shape and mounting solution.

Additionally, they have a harness that interfaces with the vehicle systems to trigger the actual aux wiring, so it’s not even like the actual loads are being switched directly through them.

If you want more info, you can read up on the upfitter switches Ford puts in their other trucks.

All that said, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before someone offers a panel to either replace the overhead switches/sunglasses holder or other location to accommodate traditional aftermarket switches.

OP
OP
Jhuff

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are a proprietary shape and mounting solution.

Additionally, they have a harness that interfaces with the vehicle systems to trigger the actual aux wiring, so it’s not even like the actual loads are being switched directly through them.

If you want more info, you can read up on the upfitter switches Ford puts in their other trucks.

All that said, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before someone offers a panel to either replace the overhead switches/sunglasses holder or other location to accommodate traditional aftermarket switches.
Ah! Looked up the maker and found some photos. Even IF you could replace the switch itself, there are more shenanigans that would have to happen with the relays.

I guess the module is a double edged sword... Super useful wiring for simple projects, but not very expandable.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was reading a thread about reverse lighting and it has me thinking about future projects.

Are the auxillary Switches a proprietary design, or are they swappable with commonly available switches?

I'm thinking it would be handy if 3-position switches or momentary switches were direct, and hopefully matching, replacements.

For example, a 3 position switch would suit my reverse lighting wishes:

Neutral position: no aux reverse lighting (so as not to blind anyone behind me).
Up: Aux reverse lights on (and maybe even more light sources).
Down: Aux reverse lights on only when in reverse.
It's not a proprietary idea, a lot of vehicles have factory switches. However it's FORDS design with where it sits and how it works.

With that said, you could make your own panel with aftermarket switches. SwarfWorks makes a Switch-Pros holder that goes in the sunglass spot on the F150s. This lets you run switches OR additional switches while maintaining he upfitters.

On our Broncos, not as usefull if you already have upfitters, but for those who did not, you could have a switch panel.

I think it would be easier to design your own panel to replace the factory upfitters with a 3 position switch. The thing is, you would not be able to utilize your existing upfitter harness since you are changing the design.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jhuff

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not a proprietary idea, a lot of vehicles have factory switches. However it's FORDS design with where it sits and how it works.

With that said, you could make your own panel with aftermarket switches. SwarfWorks makes a Switch-Pros holder that goes in the sunglass spot on the F150s. This lets you run switches OR additional switches while maintaining he upfitters.

On our Broncos, not as usefull if you already have upfitters, but for those who did not, you could have a switch panel.

I think it would be easier to design your own panel to replace the factory upfitters with a 3 position switch. The thing is, you would not be able to utilize your existing upfitter harness since you are changing the design.
These are interesting ideas. As long as I already have the upfitters, I will probably look at solutions for that panel in order to keep a nice look and to not have more switches than the space shuttle. 😂

I have a long while yet until the Bronco arrives, and no specific plans for wiring, so I will have to wait a while, but you gave me some ideas....

I have a 3D printer and some electrical knowhow, so either (a) modifying the existing panel or (b) making a new panel that can mix and match upfitters and aftermarket switches (with their own harnesses) would be ideal. Unfortunately, I would bet big money that the upfitter switches are integrated heavily into their housing (pivots, contacts, etc), which would make modifications a huge pain in the butt, if not impossible. If they pop out individually, though, game on!

OP
OP
Jhuff

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On second thought: my entire post just above was based on the assumption that aftermarket switches would be bulky and not as nicely integrated with the looks of the interior, thus not my preferred option.

If a style of switch exists that looks nice and is the right size... Your idea of making a new panel for them would be easy as pie. Just wire the 2 way switches to the upfitter relays and the 3 way switches to the modified wiring.
Sponsored