Auxilliary power port(s) installation.

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry I didn't take In progress pics to show what I did.. but I will describe it best I can... bought two of these on Amazon (came in a pair) because I wanted at least one usb3 port..

And on inspection I realized I had room for both so I figured while I'm in there...

Grabbed my step bit and cut two holes to fit. Snaked the wiring up from underneath (fishtape works great for this) and paired both outlets together with enough room to work, so there's only one set of wires coming down behind the glove box. Haven't connected them yet.. considering if I want to Go ahead and just run a dedicated wire to the fusebox or tap into the aux circuit that powers my gmrs radio...

Thought I'd share.. and give someone some ideas...

20220428_192003.jpg

20220428_191038.jpg

20220428_191026.jpg
Sponsored

Thomman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Cooper S, 2012 Skoda Yeti, 2018 Tiger 800
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the pics.... I like what you've done.

A few questions:
1) why did you decide to install the ports in the recessed location instead of on the raised flat surface to the side? Is it because it's easier to get to from under the dash? Reason I ask is the recessed cubby may be a good place to put coins and other small bits etc....
2) I don't have my bronco yet, so.... The flat surfaces have grooves around them - can they be pried off or are the grooves just molded in?
3) I was thinking of installing the ports on the flat surface towards the passenger side - your thoughts?
4) Can you describe how you wired it - Where did you connect the power to, is it easily accessible, is the power to the ports on all the time etc... pictures if any would help.....

OP
OP
gizmohd

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the pics.... I like what you've done.

A few questions:
1) why did you decide to install the ports in the recessed location instead of on the raised flat surface to the side? Is it because it's easier to get to from under the dash? Reason I ask is the recessed cubby may be a good place to put coins and other small bits etc....
2) I don't have my bronco yet, so.... The flat surfaces have grooves around them - can they be pried off or are the grooves just molded in?
3) I was thinking of installing the ports on the flat surface towards the passenger side - your thoughts?
4) Can you describe how you wired it - Where did you connect the power to, is it easily accessible, is the power to the ports on all the time etc... pictures if any would help.....
1... there is an access area thats under the recessed area.. The rest was relatively solid... but that area was the only one that had enough space under the dash to allow the remainder of the port (about 1 1/4" or so) to poke through.

2. All molded in.

3. There's a lot of 'stuff' over there.. there's a reason ford put their accessory port in the center.. :)

4. For now (semi temporary, may end up perm who knows)... I'm using one of my switches to power my 50watt GMRS radio, so I tapped into that power for the accessories on the dash.

as I said, i didnt take pictures of the installation process.. and TBH.. I really dont want to break open the dash just to take some pics... that was a task... LOL.. and as much as I tried not to.. I still ended up with a couple extra screws i have no clue where they go.. LOL...

Thomman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Cooper S, 2012 Skoda Yeti, 2018 Tiger 800
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks much. that helps.

A quick question - what's the workable length of the recessed cubby? Asking coz' I saw a combo strip on Amazon that has 2 x ports, a 12V port, and a control switch all in one, but want to make sure it'll fit in the recess.....

Teal68

Base
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 early Broncos and 2 6G
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice! You were able to get your hand up in there to tighten the nut?
Sponsored