Sponsored

Availability / Timing of Painted Roof (be it black, white or matching)?

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not the same top. The modular top we're waiting for is of higher quality.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if one was to get the MIC top finished they way one would like, the biggest disadvantage we would have over the Modular Top is not being able to remove the rear windows... correct? I plan on adding the sound deadening material so the inside of both should be similar. If there are other big advantages, I would love to hear about them.
Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct me if I am wrong, but if one was to get the MIC top finished they way one would like, the biggest disadvantage we would have over the Modular Top is not being able to remove the rear windows... correct? I plan on adding the sound deadening material so the inside of both should be similar. If there are other big advantages, I would love to hear about them.
The outer shell of the MIC top is a molded thermoplastic. The shell of the modular top is SMC which is more like fiberglass. The modular top should be heavier, more rigid and may insulate and deaden sound better than the MIC even without the additional lining.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wildtrak.....thinking about having MIC roof and the flares painted black to match the grill

am i wrong in thinking of MIC to feel like the top of a damn cooler?

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The outer shell of the MIC top is a molded thermoplastic. The shell of the modular top is SMC which is more like fiberglass. The modular top should be heavier, more rigid and may insulate and deaden sound better than the MIC even without the additional lining.
That's right, I recall the materials difference now. I can see how the fiberglass could be a slight advantage to insulate and noise. I am hoping by using sound deadening, it lessons the difference between the two. I also have heard that aftermarket sound deadening options can be better than factory... so will look into that too.

I am worried about their definition of "late availability". I guess I am impatient and don't like the unknown lol.

Sponsored

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Join the Carbonized Body/Carbonized MIC club, the few and the proud Be the first bunch of Broncos to have color match body and top. Order Carbonized Gray paint with carbonized Gray MIC hardtop, problem solved.
Ford Bronco Availability / Timing of Painted Roof (be it black, white or matching)? Carbonized Gray Bronco Badlands 2 Door

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What is the word on the street for availability of a painted roof? Is the only way to get that (as a first day reservation holder) is to cancel and come back in 2022 or 2023?
Word on the street is my friend's cousin Bubba can get you anything, bring small unsequential bills and meet up behind the old bait shop and he'll get you that new top.

Either that or wait until late production for black and MY22 for white and color matched as we were last told and yes, it sucks.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
While they are painting the top, have them paint the bumpers, the flairs, and cowl, and the side mirrors, and the side step mounts. Only way they will match.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What is the word on the street for availability of a painted roof? Is the only way to get that (as a first day reservation holder) is to cancel and come back in 2022 or 2023?
I called Ford about my reservation. They said keep the reservation and wait until the options I want are available and then order. At time of order my reservation has earlier priority than other orders from people holding later reservations.

Of course can we trust that. ?‍♂

BroncoOvrlndr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally wanted to get dual tops with the soft top and the modular Shadow Black top. So I’m just going to order my #Badsquatch with the soft top and go back to the dealer to buy the modular top when it’s available. Problem solved!

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I called Ford about my reservation. They said keep the reservation and wait until the options I want are available and then order. At time of order my reservation has earlier priority than other orders from people holding later reservations.

Of course can we trust that. ?‍♂
Well, if you end up waiting to order past the 1/14 schedule date for those options you should realize you are negating some of your early reservation advantage. Believe me, I understand, which is why I am taking things in my own hands and going to order ASAP and fix the things soon after delivery that I don't like (i.e., MIC top). My reservation isn't even that early (7/20) but I don't see how you could jump ahead of folks that placed and scheduled their order prior to 1/14/21 if the options you were waiting for become available prior to those first orders being built. I think your advantage would be getting ahead of others that decided to wait but had a later reservation time stamp than yours.

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t know much about this...but why do you need to sand vs just painting textured service?

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don’t know much about this...but why do you need to sand vs just painting textured service?
Most mold tooling have a smooth finish so the part will "eject" from the mold...to add insult to injury...the mold is sprayed with a "mold release" and stays with the part...even if you texture the mold tooling a smooth skin tends to form on the molded part...very difficult to have paint adhere to that surface...some coating systems (Plasti-dip) now have some kind of chemical paint that aids in the final coat sticking to the part....look up coating/painting wheels on you tube...many videos showing different procedures and coatings/paints.
Sponsored