Sponsored

Availability / Timing of Painted Roof (be it black, white or matching)?

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t know much about this...but why do you need to sand vs just painting textured service?
One would want to sand it to have a smooth finish. This would allow one to paint it to have a similar look to the rest of the body panels, as well as the modular painted top due out later. But if you use the Line-X option, it is textured by nature so negates having to sand off the original MIC surface. There are a few examples of it on some of these threads.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well, if you end up waiting to order past the 1/14 schedule date for those options you should realize you are negating some of your early reservation advantage. Believe me, I understand, which is why I am taking things in my own hands and going to order ASAP and fix the things soon after delivery that I don't like (i.e., MIC top). My reservation isn't even that early (7/20) but I don't see how you could jump ahead of folks that placed and scheduled their order prior to 1/14/21 if the options you were waiting for become available prior to those first orders being built. I think your advantage would be getting ahead of others that decided to wait but had a later reservation time stamp than yours.
Since the white top is 2022, I'd be at the front of the line when the white tops become available for production. By then Mansquatch is available, and maybe they fix a few more things.

I will chew on this conundrum until it is time to order, and then see which way I am leaning.

That gray MIC top is so stupid...

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And what the hell does "late availability" mean? I'm assuming it means so late that no reservation holder will be able to get it; only future model years.
Late availability could mean a week or could be 6 months. No way to know until they happen.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's not the same top. The modular top we're waiting for is of higher quality.

As has been noted numerous times the plant making the modular top is not finished/up to full production. It may be a month behind it could be several. We don't know yet.
I'll wait for this top. If the waiting gets too long (August) I'll cancel and buy something else.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's right, I recall the materials difference now. I can see how the fiberglass could be a slight advantage to insulate and noise. I am hoping by using sound deadening, it lessons the difference between the two. I also have heard that aftermarket sound deadening options can be better than factory... so will look into that too.

I am worried about their definition of "late availability". I guess I am impatient and don't like the unknown lol.
I'm wondering if the better quality of the modular top translates to durability? Will the cheaper MIC top be more prone to cracking or the locking handles pull through after a couple of years?

Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since the white top is 2022, I'd be at the front of the line when the white tops become available for production. By then Mansquatch is available, and maybe they fix a few more things.

I will chew on this conundrum until it is time to order, and then see which way I am leaning.

That gray MIC top is so stupid...
ah, I gotcha. Yes, you should be one of the first for white tops then ;)

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Explorer; 2019 Honda CR-V; 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Word on the street is my friend's cousin Bubba can get you anything, bring small unsequential bills and meet up behind the old bait shop and he'll get you that new top.

Either that or wait until late production for black and MY22 for white and color matched as we were last told and yes, it sucks.
When you say "wait until late production," are you saying cancel your reservation and order later in 2021 or 2022. I assume there is no way to defer one's reservation to wait and see what becomes available?

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called Ford about my reservation. They said keep the reservation and wait until the options I want are available and then order. At time of order my reservation has earlier priority than other orders from people holding later reservations.

Of course can we trust that. ?‍♂
Interesting. Wonder if that is true or if the reservation gets cancelled if you don't order in the Dec - Jan open window time-frame....

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When you say "wait until late production," are you saying cancel your reservation and order later in 2021 or 2022. I assume there is no way to defer one's reservation to wait and see what becomes available?
This is in the email Ford sent but SO many people either haven't read that email (no offense to you) or they're conveniently forgetting
They state that when you order in December, the black top will be an available option but your vehicle will be late

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is in the email Ford sent but SO many people either haven't read that email (no offense to you) or they're conveniently forgetting
They state that when you order in December, the black top will be an available option but your vehicle will be late
Not everyone got that email.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, thanks. Maybe I missed that. Well, if that's the case, then I may be staying in. I'm willing to order with black top and wait. I'm assuming black top means painted black and not some plastic mold.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ye
Ok, thanks. Maybe I missed that. Well, if that's the case, then I may be staying in. I'm willing to order with black top and wait. I'm assuming black top means painted black and not some plastic mold.
Yeah its the black painted modular top

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not everyone got that email.
I didn't either (have an obx reservation, but getting a wildtrak), but there were many threads showing the email. The people saying "black modular will come MY22" are spreading false information

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm in the same situation and expect they will allow ordering late availability items in Dec-Jan order window. Don't cancel your reservation. The late availability items will keep pushing your build further out until those items become available.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm not saying cancel anything nor do I know when those items will be available to order based on your reservation, just repeating the only thing any of us have been told about availability of said items.

Lots of theories out there, hopefully by the time orders actually open up we'll know Ford's answer and go from there.
Sponsored