Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Working on my instrument rating, slower than I would like...

My wife want's me to get my IR, but I really don't want to do that much work, and then really stay proficient. I'd rather just fly the cub on nice days and stay inside when the weather is bad.
Sponsored

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It seems like a great time to be getting into the flying business. Our school/club can't keep CFIs as they jump to the next level pretty quick. Seems a lot are going to private charters or corporate gigs and not the big airlines. Our club has even gotten into the charter business with a Pilatus. Our small field just lengthened the runway and built a new hanger for two new Falcons to run more private charters out of the field.
Had an interesting conversation with a pilot for Netjets, itā€™s a rapidly expanding market, and has really become a viable alternative to Part 121 life. If you can tolerate a 7 on/7 off workday cycle, you can live anywhere you want (all repositioning is done commercially with paid tickets, and done during your 7 days on), be able to take a week vacation and wind up with three straight off, and be making ULCC money by year 2 these days. If my better half could put up with me being gone 12 nights out of the month, thereā€™s a huge appeal to that sort of career path.

My wife want's me to get my IR, but I really don't want to do that much work, and then really stay proficient. I'd rather just fly the cub on nice days and stay inside when the weather is bad.
I look at it that lot like I do the multi add-on, not something I use for the majority of my flying, but the process of learning the new skills, becoming proficient, and making the effort to get checkride-ready is always a good exercise to try and keep oneā€˜s self on the pointy end of being a good aviator.

If anything, grab a CFII on a solid overcast day and go hand fly in the clouds a bit and fly a couple approaches, that first time feeling your inner ear trying to kill you is a humbling event. Plus, breaking out on final lined up with the runway is just plain fun!

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Had an interesting conversation with a pilot for Netjets, itā€™s a rapidly expanding market, and has really become a viable alternative to Part 121 life. If you can tolerate a 7 on/7 off workday cycle, you can live anywhere you want (all repositioning is done commercially with paid tickets, and done during your 7 days on), be able to take a week vacation and wind up with three straight off, and be making ULCC money by year 2 these days. If my better half could put up with me being gone 12 nights out of the month, thereā€™s a huge appeal to that sort of career path.

I look at it that lot like I do the multi add-on, not something I use for the majority of my flying, but the process of learning the new skills, becoming proficient, and making the effort to get checkride-ready is always a good exercise to try and keep oneā€˜s self on the pointy end of being a good aviator.

If anything, grab a CFII on a solid overcast day and go hand fly in the clouds a bit and fly a couple approaches, that first time feeling your inner ear trying to kill you is a humbling event. Plus, breaking out on final lined up with the runway is just plain fun!

Not a flying job, but I work 7 on, 7 off nights. I see my wife once or twice during that work week. I've been doing this schedule for 14+ years now. I really like the time off, especially getting 3 weeks off in a row when I take a work week off.

I just have no desire to fly in the soup. I'd much rather concentrate on 1,000ft runways and building float time. I try to learn something every time I'm in the air, but flying IR is not a desire. Do want to add ME in 2023 too.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not a flying job, but I work 7 on, 7 off nights. I see my wife once or twice during that work week. I've been doing this schedule for 14+ years now. I really like the time off, especially getting 3 weeks off in a row when I take a work week off.

I just have no desire to fly in the soup. I'd much rather concentrate on 1,000ft runways and building float time. I try to learn something every time I'm in the air, but flying IR is not a desire. Do want to add ME in 2023 too.
May I ask what line of work youā€™re in? Iā€™ve had a surprising lack of that despite working in offshore oil and gas for 12 years now. Working projects has only netted me the two extremes, going from the 8-5 office life to being stuck on the Balder (at my old job) for up to 6 weeks at a time. I like to think the 121 life of being gone 3-4 days x 4 times a month would be a step in the right direction, but I donā€™t have applicable experience.

As to not wanting to do any soup flying, I get it, but I still advocate learning the fundamentals of flying in IMC, that first 0.5 of actual is a big transfer out of the bag of luck and into the bag of experience. Blows my mind that you can earn an instrument rating with no actual IMC time.

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

May I ask what line of work youā€™re in? Iā€™ve had a surprising lack of that despite working in offshore oil and gas for 12 years now. Working projects has only netted me the two extremes, going from the 8-5 office life to being stuck on the Balder (at my old job) for up to 6 weeks at a time. I like to think the 121 life of being gone 3-4 days x 4 times a month would be a step in the right direction, but I donā€™t have applicable experience.

As to not wanting to do any soup flying, I get it, but I still advocate learning the fundamentals of flying in IMC, that first 0.5 of actual is a big transfer out of the bag of luck and into the bag of experience. Blows my mind that you can earn an instrument rating with no actual IMC time.
Currently a hospital pharmacist.

I've flown under the hood regularly, as well as spin and upset recovery training in AB aircraft. I just have no desire to fly in marginal weather. I fly for fun, not for a living, which makes a big difference. I also don't do cross country flights of more than a couple of hours and feel no pressure to fly when I shouldn't. I'd much rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than in the air wishing I was on the ground.

I like low and slow and landing places that make most people nervous, sometimes even me. I've spent quite a bit of time as a passenger with real bush pilots in Alaska flying VFR in weather I would never attempt, and that's OK with me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thatā€™s the $64,000 question. I had originally planned just to teach tailwheel, spin endorsements and some mild AB on the weekends and then go do the ATP thing once the kiddos go off to college (14 more years) and the wife gets sick of me (any day now).

This year however has been an introspective one, to include a job change to a lucrative position in my industry 5 months ago, and I still donā€™t enjoy it. My wife has been encouraging me to make the jump sooner rather than later if it means Iā€™ll be happy during my time at the house (and also not subject to being sent offshore for 4-5 weeks at a time).

Itā€™s hard to argue that now isnā€™t a good time to do that if Iā€™m ever going to, the regionals are taking anyone with 1500 hours and a pulse, and the ULCCs are taking people with no TPIC time.
I got really burned out working in healthcare, and my wife encouraged me to get out of it and into aviation. Now I'm an A&P doing aerial firefighting and I love it. Wives are smart, and I wish I'd listened to mine sooner.

Good luck in your endeavors wherever they lead you. Life is too short to hate your job.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thatā€™s the $64,000 question. I had originally planned just to teach tailwheel, spin endorsements and some mild AB on the weekends and then go do the ATP thing once the kiddos go off to college (14 more years) and the wife gets sick of me (any day now).

This year however has been an introspective one, to include a job change to a lucrative position in my industry 5 months ago, and I still donā€™t enjoy it. My wife has been encouraging me to make the jump sooner rather than later if it means Iā€™ll be happy during my time at the house (and also not subject to being sent offshore for 4-5 weeks at a time).

Itā€™s hard to argue that now isnā€™t a good time to do that if Iā€™m ever going to, the regionals are taking anyone with 1500 hours and a pulse, and the ULCCs are taking people with no TPIC time.
Do it. Build hours ASAP, get on with a regional and move on to a legacy carrier or maybe a good LCC if you happen to live in a city where they have a base. I fly with a lot of career change guys/gals and never hear them say ā€œI wish I would have stayed at XYZ industryā€¦ā€

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do it. Build hours ASAP, get on with a regional and move on to a legacy carrier or maybe a good LCC if you happen to live in a city where they have a base. I fly with a lot of career change guys/gals and never hear them say ā€œI wish I would have stayed at XYZ industryā€¦ā€
Winding up at Spirit would be fine by me, assuming the plans for a base at IAH survive the merger. If not, Southwest is an hour drive away at HOU.

Sponsored

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Winding up at Spirit would be fine by me, assuming the plans for a base at IAH survive the merger. If not, Southwest is an hour drive away at HOU.
Iā€™d chose United, Spirit, then SWA in that order. But they are all good choices.

If you wind up at Spirit we might fly together someday.

https://jetcareers.com/forums/

Last edited:

JMB

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Your Bronco Model
Base
OK, I know there are a lot of cool pilots on here (aren't all pilots cool?). Lets see some pictures. Really want to see some of those fighter pilot daily rides....
Great day to borrow the wifes Bronco and go shoot a few approaches.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 1666747756233

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This guy landed in front of me tonight. Had some great winds and was hitting 205+ mph across the ground in the 182. Smoking for a 182.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 70096DE8-98A8-4EF6-8C43-987555663264