Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Now that's a hell of a job
I prefer flying the fields with wind turbines in Illinois, they're usually big fields on flat ground which isn't all that common. They're one of the more relaxing fields to spray in Illinois, to be honest. It's okay as long as there aren't buzzards around.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread IMG_20220908_171435_HDR

Last year I conducted some research tests for the USDA on cloud seeding and pollution control using electrostatically charged water. The cloud seeding worked great, and you could tell it was working because about 10min into the job the cloud would start letting some lightning loose. The charged droplets are a nucleating point, and if you get them in the right updraft they'll pick up moisture and head past the freezing layer where they cause a static charge of their own, that's when the lightning happens, the cell really comes alive and grows. For the pollution control, I was flying over a rural town, spraying water out at 750-1000ft AGL, because there was an automated gas chromatograph station due to a gas plant being nearby. My job was to cover a 2 square mile grid upwind over the town, hopefully catching enough particulates in the air with the static charge of the droplets that the meter would register an improvement. So....what it looked like from the ground was a government chemtrail program, happening directly over facebook conspiracy theory country, and nobody let the mayor or anyone else know what to expect beforehand. That went over about as well as expected.

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like everyone eventually, I’m looking at the possibility of hanging it up. It’s weighing heavily on me and not something I want to do, but something I may need to do for several reasons. Kind of living my own private pity party right now and not sure if I’ve flown my last flight or not.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Like everyone eventually, I’m looking at the possibility of hanging it up. It’s weighing heavily on me and not something I want to do, but something I may need to do for several reasons. Kind of living my own private pity party right now and not sure if I’ve flown my last flight or not.
Sorry to hear, my dude. No idea what you've got going on, but I've found that FPV stuff with RC planes is an absolute blast, and arguably even more fun in some cases. If you can't get back in the air for whatever reason, it might be an option to get some stick time in. It can also be more than a hobby if you wanted to take it that direction, they're already trying to take my job using drones. Right now they're just silly little things, but with another 20-30 years of tech advancements I might be sitting in an office with a joystick and FPV goggles.

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That doesn't sound like fun, but better to make a call as PIC than become a passenger unwittingly if you think that it is time. On a more positive note, there are likely other pilots local to you that would love to have company on their lunch runs/trips/IFR currency flights - if you have the desire and capacity, stay engaged and active even if not PIC!

Sponsored

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That doesn't sound like fun, but better to make a call as PIC than become a passenger unwittingly if you think that it is time. On a more positive note, there are likely other pilots local to you that would love to have company on their lunch runs/trips/IFR currency flights - if you have the desire and capacity, stay engaged and active even if not PIC!
I learned when I left Alaska, don’t go where you miss being if you don’t like being torn apart. My guess is if I stop, I won’t get in a small airplane again or be any where near aviation.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I learned when I left Alaska, don’t go where you miss being if you don’t like being torn apart. My guess is if I stop, I won’t get in a small airplane again or be any where near aviation.
[click],[click]

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Really damn sorry to hear that. That day will come for us all, and I doubt I'll handle it very well when it's my turn.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Regardless of the reason, I understand it stings.

This brings to mind one pilot I knew at work years ago, about 65-70 who did not know when to call it. He was telling me of his adventures and improperly setting the fuel selector valve and having to do an emergency landing across a tarmac.

In the next sentence, he invited me to go flying, needless to say, I declined the offer. A few months later he died in a crash, on takeoff, he must have lost the engine or stalled it.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Finally got the Bronco out on the ramp for some pictures. Got busted by the police for not having placards on my doors. I explained that the doors are aluminum and our placards are magnets, and she was cool.

Mostly she wanted to know what color it was, since apparently there were reports of "a blue Jeep, a gray Jeep, and a green Bronco" on the ramp 🤣

PXL_20230427_163057062.jpg

PXL_20230427_163035513.jpg

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Finally got the Bronco out on the ramp for some pictures. Got busted by the police for not having placards on my doors. I explained that the doors are aluminum and our placards are magnets, and she was cool.

Mostly she wanted to know what color it was, since apparently there were reports of "a blue Jeep, a gray Jeep, and a green Bronco" on the ramp 🤣

PXL_20230427_163057062.jpg

PXL_20230427_163035513.jpg
Love the 10 Tanker, beautiful aircraft, amazing footage seeing it fly over the ridge tops.

Did you take the pic at ABQ?

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Love the 10 Tanker, beautiful aircraft, amazing footage seeing it fly over the ridge tops.

Did you take the pic at ABQ?
Sure did. We still have three planes at home.
Sponsored