Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you have to take a leak in the middle of the night do you climb down the ladder or just unleash the hose from the second story window?
You ask the bear if he will leave the garbage alone for a moment and come help you to the ground.
Sponsored

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What is the deal with the tent on top of the car? I see all these pictures of wide open space yet someone is choosing to forego said space and put their tent on the roof like they are crammed in at a drive-in? I've camped a decent amount in my life, and I've never once thought hey, this would be more fun if this tent were on top of the car. If you have to take a leak in the middle of the night do you climb down the ladder or just unleash the hose from the second story window?
They do it for the (insta)gram. Seriously though there are advantages and disadvantages to roof top tents, but the current trend is basically bored millennials living vicariously through sponsored ā€œinfluencersā€ and since a 3k rooftop tent looks cooler then dadā€™s old coleman on the ground itā€™s what sells better in photos.

This started with tiny houses(debt driven yuppies admiring people who are financially independent) then morphed to van life(apartment dwelling yuppies admiring the freedom to live anywhere else) and now with the lockdowns itā€™s all about overlanding(getting as far away from it all as possible). Obviously the trends spur real sales, and some people run with these things and enjoy them(and good for them), but mostly itā€™s just the ā€œlifestyleā€ people are daydreaming about without any experience in the reality of it. The point is all these things are more appealing in photos and vlogs then they are in real life for the average person.

As for practical reasons for a rooftop tent. Quick setup and teardown of a tent with a matress without even needing to find a nice flat rock-less spot is a big plus. Also gets you above the snow and mud. I guess the bigger point is you can turn your car into a camping trailer minus the trailer

A lot of obvious drawbacks as well. Cost is the biggest and most obvious, needing to climb up(potentially with animals). Space limitations. Safety concerns. Flexibility(forced to stay with the vehicle). Vehicle fuel efficiency and handling.

Personally I always tell people to buy cheap things when starting a new hobby then replace them when they prove worthless or wear out and donā€™t overthink it. Good advice for gear in general although you should always overprovision a little. If you donā€™t wear out a $200 tent from overuse overlanding you will probably not get your monies worth out of a 3k one

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Got an old school vibe to them.

OP
OP
GToddC5

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Showcasing all of their overpriced chinese garbage parts.
I do get a Harbor Freight vibe when looking at their website, but some of the stuff has to at least be engineered in the USA, don't you think? Then that wouldn't make them too different from a lot of places.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I do get a Harbor Freight vibe when looking at their website, but some of the stuff has to at least be engineered in the USA, don't you think? Then that wouldn't make them too different from a lot of places.
If you have been around off-roading at all, their reputation is crap. They are the Walmart of the off-road world. Their biggest ripoff is their install "service". Sell you garbage parts and over charge to install them.

OP
OP
GToddC5

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have been around off-roading at all, their reputation is crap. They are the Walmart of the off-road world. Their biggest ripoff is their install "service". Sell you garbage parts and over charge to install them.
Duly noted, thanks.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They do it for the (insta)gram. Seriously though there are advantages and disadvantages to roof top tents, but the current trend is basically bored millennials living vicariously through sponsored ā€œinfluencersā€ and since a 3k rooftop tent looks cooler then dadā€™s old coleman on the ground itā€™s what sells better in photos.

This started with tiny houses(debt driven yuppies admiring people who are financially independent) then morphed to van life(apartment dwelling yuppies admiring the freedom to live anywhere else) and now with the lockdowns itā€™s all about overlanding(getting as far away from it all as possible). Obviously the trends spur real sales, and some people run with these things and enjoy them(and good for them), but mostly itā€™s just the ā€œlifestyleā€ people are daydreaming about without any experience in the reality of it. The point is all these things are more appealing in photos and vlogs then they are in real life for the average person.

As for practical reasons for a rooftop tent. Quick setup and teardown of a tent with a matress without even needing to find a nice flat rock-less spot is a big plus. Also gets you above the snow and mud. I guess the bigger point is you can turn your car into a camping trailer minus the trailer

A lot of obvious drawbacks as well. Cost is the biggest and most obvious, needing to climb up(potentially with animals). Space limitations. Safety concerns. Flexibility(forced to stay with the vehicle). Vehicle fuel efficiency and handling.

Personally I always tell people to buy cheap things when starting a new hobby then replace them when they prove worthless or wear out and donā€™t overthink it. Good advice for gear in general although you should always overprovision a little. If you donā€™t wear out a $200 tent from overuse overlanding you will probably not get your monies worth out of a 3k one
Haven't used a rooftop tent. A plus seems convenience, assuming it's quicker/easier to flip open and assemble, and already has padding all in place. Some downsides are having to break camp whenever wanting to use the vehicle, less options for tent placement (under a tree for shade or in a particular out of the way spot a vehicle can't access), and cost. You'd want to make sure it meets the use case.

Agree about starting at lower cost and gaining some experience. You don't need a pneumatic nail gun setup, if all you end up doing is hanging a few picture frames. Some potential Bronco owners might want to keep that in mind, when deciding what to buy.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All trims arenā€™t receptive?
Every indication has been that the threaded mounting point is present on all trim levels.

I have not seen any information to suggest otherwise.

Some people started worrying it wasn't because of guesses and worries.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Over the years I've bought stuff from 4 Wheel Parts with good results. You do want to watch what you buy though, and realize some items might require a bit more work to install, compared to items that are 3 times the cost elsewhere.

It's like some people always b*tching about Smittybuilt products. I installed one of their rear bumper/tire carrier products on my Jeep TJ last year and it works great. I especially like the bumper, because it's not some big honking narwhale type design some folks are installing these days with it's own center of gravity due to mass, lol.

But I did have to mess with the mounting holes with a grinder to fit. You just got to know what you are getting, and potentially be up for some extra work to install.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven't used a rooftop tent. A plus seems convenience, assuming it's quicker/easier to flip open and assemble, and already has padding all in place. Some downsides are having to break camp whenever wanting to use the vehicle, less options for tent placement (under a tree for shade or in a particular out of the way spot a vehicle can't access), and cost. You'd want to make sure it meets the use case.

Agree about starting at lower cost and gaining some experience. You don't need a pneumatic nail gun setup, if all you end up doing is hanging a few picture frames. Some potential Bronco owners might want to keep that in mind, when deciding what to buy.
I'm very interested in one - the combination of convenience and comfort seems far superior to any ground tent. Add in that if you like to camp in bear or snake/critter country, there's some added security to being off the ground.

All that said, the downsides of cost and inability to use the vehicle while camp is deployed have kept me from pulling the trigger at this point.

If $$ weren't a consideration, I'd probably go RTT on an offroad camp trailer like a Turtleback. One reality is that no matter what you do, there are tradeoffs. Everything is a compromise in some way, shape or form.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I agree in general with this, I'm one who also subscribes to "get the things you need to make you 'comfortable'" - whatever that means to you. Unless your goal is to truly prove you are able to survive discomfort, there are no rewards for being most uncomfortable. I want to enjoy camping - eating good food, relaxing by the lake or on the mountain, and feeling refreshed when I come home.

I'll spend some extra $$ on quality gear that allows that to be the case. It also makes it likely I'll do it more often, and the wife will enjoy it as well.

Quinn_the_eskimo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep Scrambler, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you have been around off-roading at all, their reputation is crap. They are the Walmart of the off-road world.
Their reputation is crap because a lot of the mass-produced aftermarket parts suppliers are crap (Omix, Rugged Ridge, Rough Country, etc.). My Jeep rebuild is a mix of custom and aftermarket from places like 4WP. The problem has been there's just not a big enough market for many of the custom places to peddle their products through 4WP, so you have to seek them out. For many parts, there just isn't a custom supplier and you're forced to buy the Chinese crap because otherwise you won't have a fuel sending unit.

Their biggest ripoff is their install "service". Sell you garbage parts and over charge to install them.
Well yeah, this is for the "more money than sense" crowd.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't usually like striping but that side stripe looks great.
Except for where they put the Black Diamond sticker back over the stripe. Why????
Sponsored