B&O and Base Speaker Size and Location

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is there a way to do a simple upgrade of the base system without getting into adding amps or difficult removal of interior pieces? I.e just swap to upgraded speakers at the same impedance?
Yes, 4" coax for the dash and rear pod and 6.5 for the kick panels. I would shoot for the highest efficiency along with the tone and detail you like. It can be difficult, but if you have a decent set of headphones (or good speakers on your PC) go to:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_51200/4-Speakers.html?tp=102&fa=1#&nvpair=FFSpeaker_Size|4

And you can listen to their output as recorded using their compare and listen function. I usually just go down the list and add the first 4, and then keep my favorite favorite and then add 3 new and keep doing that until I have the one I like the best.

Important to use "Equal Power" when listening so you can see how a more efficient speaker performs since we are looking at building with the factory amp and limited power.
Sponsored

Last edited:

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the per channel amp capacity on the base head unit?

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I too was hoping the B&O would be good enough. I am big into audio, was more so when I was younger (sold and installer). FYI round is far more preferable than 6x9 and tweeters should be located near their speaker, don’t treat it as a separate speaker.

back to hoping B&O is good enough. I haven’t heard it but the sound is good enough in my 2014 explorer. I can only assume and hope the quality has improved over the years and considering they are charging and marketing as a luxury system I would be pissed if it is sub par. That being said, try adding a larger sub 12’’ with amp before going and cutting or doing a lot with the speakers. You will be amazed at what that does for sound. Often people turn up the treb, mid, and base trying to achieve better sound but in fact they are changing the sound from what it is meant to be like via a poor mans eq. When people adjust too much and then push the volume too much speakers get sloppy usually because of the base. I heard once that 6inch woofers are the smallest you want to go to properly project sounds human voice (technology has improved but holds true when you push the speaker)

Get the sub, (I recommend a toggle to the remote so you can turn it off if wife or kids complain) ensure all settings are close to factory (may find that you choose to adjust up the highs and mids a little but not too far). I think most will be very happy.

if that is not good enough, then I recommend adding an amp for the other speakers. Lack of power is often the next problem. If you are putting oftermarket speakers in you will want an amp anyway (consult an audio guy because you will want to ensure you get the correct amp, if you get creative with the amp you will need to know what ohm the speakers are).

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, 4" coax for the dash and rear pod and 6.5 for the kick panels. I would shoot for the highest efficiency along with the tone and detail you like. It can be difficult, but if you have a decent set of headphones (or good speakers on your PC) go to:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_51200/4-Speakers.html?tp=102&fa=1#&nvpair=FFSpeaker_Size|4

And you can listen to their output as recorded using their compare and listen function. I usually just go down the list and add the first 4, and then keep my favorite favorite and then add 3 new and keep doing that until I have the one I like the best.

Important to use "Equal Power" when listening so you can see how a more efficient speaker performs since we are looking at building with the factory amp and limited power.
Is this the route you are considering? Using the factory amp?

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is this the route you are considering? Using the factory amp?
Yes... Audio used to be a big thing for me. Have had some serious stuff in my nearly 60 years. But now, I listen to talk radio more than anything and just occasionally some classic rock.

Because of high efficiency, I am leaning towards the JBL Club's and/or the Infinity REF and Kappa series stuff for the 4" and 6.5". I was thinking Polk's too, but the Crutchfield compare and listen didn't help their case with me.

I do think I will add a Kicker 46HS10 powered sub under one of the seats to cover the lack of bass that is expected.

I did this very effectively with quite a bit of experimentation on the Jeep JK platform. But that system had a bigger factory amp than this has. So, in my opinion, some experimentation is still needed... Unfortunately, I am a long ways out and can only use previous (non-Bronco) experience to help those getting Bronco's this year.

Sponsored

ckelly14

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just wondering if the B&O system has the same headbox as the base.

WildtracMoose

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wasn’t able to hear the audio of the stock system, but I was very impressed with the B&O in the Broncos I saw. I love music and jam loud and hard, but I’m not one of these audio guys that want to spend a whole lot of time and money changing stuff and evaluating brands, tweeters, sizes, amps, subs etc. To me, the B&O was impressed and exceeded my expectations. Again, couldn’t compare to the standard stock system but I got excited when I heard the B&O.
Hello, I’m new to the forum and have a 2 door wildtrac built and in La La land waiting for a roof. Anyway, I have an FJ cruiser with the hi end JBL which I brag about all the time. I’m hoping the B & O sounds as good!

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, in the BO system, I replaced the corners (so far) with GS42 AudioFrog’s. Fronts are marginally better. Rears are markedly better. This system obviously relies on the center channel pretty heavily. I plan to replace that this week. Not sure how much the kick panels are going to contribute. The sub is flat out terrible and I’m not sure what the solution is going to be. amplification is a must.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello, I’m new to the forum and have a 2 door wildtrac built and in La La land waiting for a roof. Anyway, I have an FJ cruiser with the hi end JBL which I brag about all the time. I’m hoping the B & O sounds as good!
BO will satisfy a simpleton ( no offense, it will do) . No lo and to speak of and it’s going to be tough to do anything worth a darn. The speaker location is just not optimal.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm probably going to replace all with aftermarket speakers (probably Rockford fosgates) & upgrade the kick panels to 6x9's at some point. This is information I've wanted for awhile, thanks!
Me too . . . I'll be looking at a new package of Focal speakers.

Sponsored

b1lf

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, in the BO system, I replaced the corners (so far) with GS42 AudioFrog’s. Fronts are marginally better. Rears are markedly better. This system obviously relies on the center channel pretty heavily. I plan to replace that this week. Not sure how much the kick panels are going to contribute. The sub is flat out terrible and I’m not sure what the solution is going to be. amplification is a must.
Ouch. I still haven’t heard the B&O in a Bronco but the base system was one of the worst stereos I’ve heard in any modern vehicle.

This is crippling news…

I am committed to the 12” screen / cameras - so I guess I may have to dial my Lux back to High and build my own system? If I do that I’m not getting automatic cruise; which I don’t know if I’ll miss or not. Never had it; but I live in LA where traffic is brutal and may be worth it for that.

I’m very picky with audio. The fact Ford put such a lousy base system in a brand new vehicle is infuriating. The Defender had an incredible audio system……

mortgagebruce

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (SOLD) / 2020 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a Helix V Eight DSP amp being installed in mine and am replacing every speaker with the Audio Frogs, including the sub. I'm very underwhelmed by the B&O system, I can't imagine how bad the base system must be, although I see plenty of negative comments about it.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am also looking at audiofrog as an upgrade to the base system. I will be getting a 2 door Big Bend. i have a couple questions as I have not upgraded a sound system in a LONG time.

1. For the 4” speakers would I need to look at the GS40 or GS42? One is a midrange and says it can work with a separate tweeter and crossover and the other is a 2-way?
2. Do I need an amp and DSP? If so where should I start my research? Looking to spend $1k-$1500 on whole system.
3. Can you add speakers? For example add center? Or is it not really necessary?

Thanks.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Me too . . . I'll be looking at a new package of Focal speakers.
I'm sure I'll upgrade the B&O system in the first year. I've been a pseudo audiophile since my days working at Best Buy back when I graduated from college in 1988. In my current daily driver I have Focal 165 KX2's with the matching E 30Kx 12" sub powered by a JL HD900/5 amp.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sure I'll upgrade the B&O system in the first year. I've been a pseudo audiophile since my days working at Best Buy back when I graduated from college in 1988. In my current daily driver I have Focal 165 KX2's with the matching E 30Kx 12" sub powered by a JL HD900/5 amp.
Nice!!
Sponsored