Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang used all of your goodies for speaker upgrades. Now I must decide if I want to tackle the sub and amp. Speakers alone was major as far as I’m concerned. Bravo thanks. Everything fit perfect. Ohh to do the sub or not. That my friend is the question!!!????
Sponsored

History

Raptor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you OP for all your time and effort, for all of those contributing as well. Ordered fronts and pods and will install in the Raptor when it arrives.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang used all of your goodies for speaker upgrades. Now I must decide if I want to tackle the sub and amp. Speakers alone was major as far as I’m concerned. Bravo thanks. Everything fit perfect. Ohh to do the sub or not. That my friend is the question!!!????
First of all I am not a car audio technician or have much experience upgrading car systems beyond changing speakers out so my experience and opinion is coming from an inexperienced person.
I have the non-B&O system and I changed out all 5 speakers and added an amp as my stereo upgrade and the difference was incredible. I was extremely happy with the sound and the upgrade itself was fairly quick and easy.
i had no intention of adding a sub but I came across a B&O sub enclosure and decided to give it a try. It was not difficult but it was way more work than I anticipated. I may have spent 3-4 hours on the speaker upgrade but I spent 20-25 hours on the sub.
the difference in the sound presentation is noticeable and I am glad I did it but if I would have known how long it was going to take (and the expense) I don’t know if I would have done it.

teevan

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So before replacing the sub, has anyone replaced the kicks with woofers first (not 2 ways) to see if that helps with the bass?

I was gonna try that before tackling the sub...

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So before replacing the sub, has anyone replaced the kicks with woofers first (not 2 ways) to see if that helps with the bass?

I was gonna try that before tackling the sub...
I changed out the kick panels with the Memphis MJP6 woofer before I put the sub in. I think they sound great and really anchored the sound stage. The sub rounded everything out and made the sound better but I could have lived without it.

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great write-up, if I haven't mentioned it before. Has anyone measured the air volume of the B&O enclosure? My rough estimate of what's behind the woofer: pi*(r^2)*d = 3.14*(4*4)*4/1728= about .13 cubic feet. That doesn't include the tube (port) that wraps around the enclosure, which serves as extra volume.

My inclination would be to seal off the end of the tube to maximize the sealed volume. Then I would do the sound deadening and polyfil like the OP.

Another thought on vibration dampening is to add a layer of Kilmat (I use cheaper stuff, but ymmv) to both the metal and the underside of the trim panel. Maybe that's overkill. (over-Kilmat? 😉)

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I changed out the kick panels with the Memphis MJP6 woofer before I put the sub in. I think they sound great and really anchored the sound stage. The sub rounded everything out and made the sound better but I could have lived without it.
The idea of using the MJP6s in the kicks just get better and better.

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great write-up, if I haven't mentioned it before. Has anyone measured the air volume of the B&O enclosure? My rough estimate of what's behind the woofer: pi*(r^2)*d = 3.14*(4*4)*4/1728= about .13 cubic feet. That doesn't include the tube (port) that wraps around the enclosure, which serves as extra volume.

My inclination would be to seal off the end of the tube to maximize the sealed volume. Then I would do the sound deadening and polyfil like the OP.

Another thought on vibration dampening is to add a layer of Kilmat (I use cheaper stuff, but ymmv) to both the metal and the underside of the trim panel. Maybe that's overkill. (over-Kilmat? 😉)
You really cant over killmat back there. I took the approach of adding more till it was perfect, if I had to do it again I would just cover everything I could from the beginning. The stuff is cheap and easy and the Bronco is a rattle machine.

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Planning on doing this upgrade whenever the Raptor arrives. Great write up, this will be my first car audio project.

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is all true on paper, but after testing many different speakers I ignore listed efficiencies for the most part. The focals were the loudest speakers at set volume level that I tried, but were not the highest listed efficiency. Using them in the rear, and them being louder than the JLs up front at same volume level, enhanced the horrible soundstage in the Bronco.
I wanted to go with the Kicker 4" 47KSC404, any experience with this set of speakers? How would they compare with the JLs you used in the front?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I wanted to go with the Kicker 4" 47KSC404, any experience with this set of speakers? How would they compare with the JLs you used in the front?
I didnt like the Kickers personally, but everyones ears and expectations are different. Try and find a car audio shop, the quality ones will usually have demo stations setup. You can demo the kickers at Best Buy. Or do like i did and test 5+ models in your bronco and eat return fees and shipping.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I didnt like the Kickers personally, but everyones ears and expectations are different. Try and find a car audio shop, the quality ones will usually have demo stations setup. You can demo the kickers at Best Buy. Or do like i did and test 5+ models in your bronco and eat return fees and shipping.
Agreed. Everyone has preferences. I have run Polk dbs on several vehicles and like them. Kicker makes some nice speakers, though. They are definitely known for their sub products. I plan to go the CompRT and Key 500.1 route with the sub (whenever Ford decides to build my Wildtrak).

mdahan

Outer Banks
First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Maxima 2009- Maxi pad
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I actually put those in my rear pods, The sensitivity of those are definitely higher and sound amazing especially with Kilmat inside the pods!
I added these and they sound muffled. Did you add an amp?

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great write up.(y)
Did the Kilmat help with road noise?
it works. I have a Borla exhaust and after adding the Kilmat I can barely hear it in the cabin. I recently added some to the plastic storage bin back there and it helped even more. I’ve done a couple doors that I took apart to fix the stupid windows. I will finish the doors and floorboard when it’s not over 100’ anymore, like November lol.
Sponsored