Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Has anyone just added polyfil and kilmat to the factory sub yet to see if that gives any improvement?

I'm replacing all of the 4 inch speakers, but don't have it in me to go the whole shebang with a new sub and amp.
there are lots of posts highlighting just that, "adding some polyfil/dynamt/kilmat will have positive gains". This post is specific to the added bass kit:

B&O sub installed on Base Bronco ….sorta…. | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

There was a post on here, cant find it maybe this one, where someone took the whole bass housing off and completely wrapped it in dynamat.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I literally unplugged one speaker and hooked the harness to the new speaker. I’m googling cross over now..
My four corner speakers are crossed over at 300hz. I ran them for a long time without, and with them crossed over, there is a huge improvement.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure if this is known or not, but the B&O sub level is heavily impacted by the Fade/Balance adjustment. Adjusting Fade to the front or back seems to limit the sub output. Hitting the reset button and it is a noticable increase is bass.
I am running in the Surround mode, if that matters.
PXL_20220414_164656385.MP.jpg

Sponsored

roofone2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My four corner speakers are crossed over at 300hz. I ran them for a long time without, and with them crossed over, there is a huge improvement.
Which speakers? (I tried to find a post with them listed, but couldn't.)

I installed the JL C1-400s and they seem OK w/o bass blockers (no distortion as far as I can tell). That said, not totally happy with the sound yet.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Which speakers? (I tried to find a post with them listed, but couldn't.)

I installed the JL C1-400s and they seem OK w/o bass blockers (no distortion as far as I can tell). That said, not totally happy with the sound yet.
I went with the Infinity, just for the price point. All four were $108 delivered. I may upgrade them later, but I am happy with my system now. It lacks super low end because I have no sub, but it still does punch.

roofone2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the Infinity, just for the price point. All four were $108 delivered. I may upgrade them later, but I am happy with my system now. It lacks super low end because I have no sub, but it still does punch.
Got it — thank you.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finished my install of the 3 dash speakers (JLs that OP used) and the 2 pod speakers (focals that OP used).

It really does make a big difference in sound quality. I felt like the B&O system was missing some mid/low range and felt "flat" (I'm not an audiophile so I'm not even sure what the right lingo is). There is a huge difference with just those 5 speakers replaced.

I was having problems getting the electrical connectors to mate to the speaker so I ended up soldering the amazon harness that the OP references to the speaker, and then just snapping it into the factory harness. I also filled the speaker cavity with kilmat like OP suggested.

I was showing the bronco to two new people yesterday after the install and they both said, "wow, this thing has a great stereo system in it"... ;)

The system is good enough such that I'm probably going to skip the key amp and new sub. I'd be really tempted to coat the factory sub enclosure with kilmat, stuff with the polyfil as OP suggested, and try to kill some rattle before upgrading the factory sub +amp. With speakers, kilmat, harnesses, panel poppers I'm probably in for $400 at this point and I can say that I'm getting more than $400 of enjoyment out of it. Not sure I'd get that big of a return on investment with the sub.

One other thing, I noticed the biggest improvement with the JL center channel replacement and the rear pod focals. If I had to do this over, I'd probably try focals in all locations. I know OP poopoo'd that config, but audio quality is probably a little subjective, and the focals I think pack a little bit bigger punch than the JLs. If you aren't upgrading the sub, you might get more enjoyment out of the focals...maybe....

Thanks again to OP for a great post.

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I finished my install of the 3 dash speakers (JLs that OP used) and the 2 pod speakers (focals that OP used).

It really does make a big difference in sound quality. I felt like the B&O system was missing some mid/low range and felt "flat" (I'm not an audiophile so I'm not even sure what the right lingo is). There is a huge difference with just those 5 speakers replaced.

I was having problems getting the electrical connectors to mate to the speaker so I ended up soldering the amazon harness that the OP references to the speaker, and then just snapping it into the factory harness. I also filled the speaker cavity with kilmat like OP suggested.

I was showing the bronco to two new people yesterday after the install and they both said, "wow, this thing has a great stereo system in it"... ;)

The system is good enough such that I'm probably going to skip the key amp and new sub. I'd be really tempted to coat the factory sub enclosure with kilmat, stuff with the polyfil as OP suggested, and try to kill some rattle before upgrading the factory sub +amp. With speakers, kilmat, harnesses, panel poppers I'm probably in for $400 at this point and I can say that I'm getting more than $400 of enjoyment out of it. Not sure I'd get that big of a return on investment with the sub.

One other thing, I noticed the biggest improvement with the JL center channel replacement and the rear pod focals. If I had to do this over, I'd probably try focals in all locations. I know OP poopoo'd that config, but audio quality is probably a little subjective, and the focals I think pack a little bit bigger punch than the JLs. If you aren't upgrading the sub, you might get more enjoyment out of the focals...maybe....

Thanks again to OP for a great post.
I didn’t mean to poopoo focals at all corners, they are great speakers! I just noted more audio from the rear with this configuration, which was one of my main goals personally. Totally agree, center channel and rear pods are the biggest improvement and must do’s on the B&O. Good luck on your rattle battle!

Sponsored

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was having some trouble with the accessory mount on the center channel. Can someone let me know what torx or torx+ size that screw is? is it really one of the ones that came with the truck and I just wasn't smart enough to get it to work? I tried a Torx 35 bit and that seemed to fit, but my screwdriver is too tall.

sphaller

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like the JLs and the Focals as options but had a chance at a deal on some Alpine S40s. Any thoughts or experiences on them around here?

No problem with the speaker layout of OP (and damn fine job/thanks) but I can't pass up a possible good deal at this point.

vegetarianbarbarian

Wildtrak
First Name
Ara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like the JLs and the Focals as options but had a chance at a deal on some Alpine S40s. Any thoughts or experiences on them around here?

No problem with the speaker layout of OP (and damn fine job/thanks) but I can't pass up a possible good deal at this point.
i actually compared the Hertz, Focal and Alpines.

I found the alpines a little muted in the mid and highs.

focals were second

and the hertz won. They also happen to have the higher sensitivity at 92dbs

sphaller

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

i actually compared the Hertz, Focal and Alpines.

I found the alpines a little muted in the mid and highs.

focals were second

and the hertz won. They also happen to have the higher sensitivity at 92dbs
Fair. And probably expected ranking based on factors. Assume the Alpines, though muted, were a decent step up from the stock B&O though?
Sponsored