Sponsored

B&O sound system front speakers - component or coaxial?

Vtfakie

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Wildtrak, Lux, Leather, Tow
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So if I am going to upgrade (slowly), I should start with the kick panel speakers? Is install pretty straightforward?
With the B&O, I feel like the kick panels made the biggest improvement, as you can hear from the video previously posted. Wish I did a similar video for the dash, but I do have before and after for those.

Base B&O

Focal PC100 dash only

Focal PC100 dash and rear
Yes installation was pretty simple, trim removal tools are a help. After already having done the passenger side, I did the driver's side in about 30 minutes. Keep in mind, as I mentioned there may be fitment issues with tweeters thet stick out, assuming you go with coaxials. An adapter is required as the mounting holes do not come close to aligning with a 6.5. Metra makes an adapter, but is pretty thick, which is why I made my own.

Ford Bronco B&O sound system front speakers - component or coaxial? PXL_20211214_171557216

Ford Bronco B&O sound system front speakers - component or coaxial? PXL_20211214_173300817
Ford Bronco B&O sound system front speakers - component or coaxial? PXL_20211214_173237711
Sponsored

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the B&O, I feel like the kick panels made the biggest improvement, as you can hear from the video previously posted. Wish I did a similar video for the dash, but I do have before and after for those.

Base B&O

Focal PC100 dash only

Focal PC100 dash and rear
Yes installation was pretty simple, trim removal tools are a help. After already having done the passenger side, I did the driver's side in about 30 minutes. Keep in mind, as I mentioned there may be fitment issues with tweeters thet stick out, assuming you go with coaxials. An adapter is required as the mounting holes do not come close to aligning with a 6.5. Metra makes an adapter, but is pretty thick, which is why I made my own.

PXL_20211214_171557216.jpg

PXL_20211214_173300817.jpg
PXL_20211214_173237711.jpg
Thanks for the info, could you clarify one thing? So is the Metra ring is to provide height to accommodate mounting depth? Which results in front clearance issues? Is that correct?

Vtfakie

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the info, could you clarify one thing? So is the Metra ring is to provide height to accommodate mounting depth? Which results in front clearance issues? Is that correct?
The metra ring is actually to adapt to the mounting holes in the bronco. The mounting pattern is wider than a typical 6.5"/165mm speaker. It does add depth for the magnet as well, but I am not sure if extra depth is required or not. If you note the previous pic of my speaker install. You can see the the screws mounting the speaker, then the holes that mount to the bronco.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found this video yesterday and I think it addresses most of my questions. Still looking forward to more aftermarket support.

Thanks for posting this. I love it when the person conducting the interview is more knowledgable (and clearly mocks) the "Expert." After seeing this, I have little faith in the B&O system for the following reasons. 1) It has an amp that is also a DSP EQ. 2) They process the center channel to compensate for poor speaker placement. 3) They process the front stage (L&R) for cleansing what would normally be the center info (Vocals, drums etc) 4) They process the rear (I think) as surround speakers. This is not how recorded audio should be processed. There's a lot lost in the process all to cater to the general public's untrained ear.

Vtfakie

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for posting this. I love it when the person conducting the interview is more knowledgable (and clearly mocks) the "Expert." After seeing this, I have little faith in the B&O system for the following reasons. 1) It has an amp that is also a DSP EQ. 2) They process the center channel to compensate for poor speaker placement. 3) They process the front stage (L&R) for cleansing what would normally be the center info (Vocals, drums etc) 4) They process the rear (I think) as surround speakers. This is not how recorded audio should be processed. There's a lot lost in the process all to cater to the general public's untrained ear.
You can switch from Surround to Stereo, but Surround Mode is a a little fuller with more depth, almost like they didn't bother with ESP settings in stereo mode.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They are also making up for low quality components. A totally barebones 2 door OBX w/ Lux is $41K. Most Lux builds are well into the $50K+ range. Adding a few hundred dollars to get us better speakers would be peanuts to the price.

I was watching a SoundsGood video this morning on a top of the line Focal upgrade in a new Expedition. They re-used the factory rear sub enclosure. What I though was cool was their testing of the Vas before and after adding https://soundsgoodstereo.com/products/blackhole-stuff-acoustic-damping-resonance-control-material.

20% Vas improvement by adding acoustic dampening to the enclosure. Even with the stock sub, that would be a significant improvement (along with some additional sound deadening).

(FYI--- I'm not an electrical engineer. This is a layman's attempt to explain woofer dampening. Vas is a measurement of cabinet volume that the woof 'sees'. Having the extra dampening helps prevent reflected sound waves from 'canceling' the direct sound wave from the woofer. Adding some dampening will help the woofer play louder at the same volume setting.)
Sponsored