First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just wanted to create a post to identify which features others do not understand or have further questions about. This is different than "errors/bugs".

I am planning on getting a Base Model and here are mine:

1. Keypad:
Are we not getting a key fob (It has been multiple decades since I did not have a key fob in a vehicle)? How do we start the vehicle? Is anyone going to keep their keys in the truck and use the keypad to get back in? Actually could be pretty useful for hiking/biking/canoeing etc. [Maybe a kill switch could be installed for added security].
2. Trailer Package: Not an option for the Base, but the cost for other trims is pretty expensive. Why? Why not just aftermarket? This seems like a DIY mod that is likely 1/2 the price of the option from the factory. Is there a downside here?
3. Aux Switches: Is wiring included? Where do these wires go? What about the back toward the trailer forward toward the battery (to have a dual battery system)? Why are you getting it, if you are?
4. Roof Rails: Is this done at the factory? Does anyone know for sure? I would assume that is better do to so that the dealer/aftermarket does not have to drill holes. Also, how does this work with roof panels removed?
5. Sasquatch v. Base tires: What if I don't lift the Bronco? What about if I get a second set of tires/wheels? Assuming I figure out the "negative offset", how big can they be without rubbing? 33s? Any bigger? I have two set of tires/wheels for my Mustang and I love having a different look every 5 or 7 months (with the winter tires) without actually having to permanently modify anything to my vehicle. Also, the incremental cost of this is only the wheels. The tires technically don't really cost me more, because they will last ~2x as long and I am just buying them in advance. Discount Tire swaps them out for free for me whenever I want. In theory, when it is "big tire season" I could just swap. Then when it is "daily driver season" I could go back to the base tires.

Ford Bronco B&P Features That I Don't Understand Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.44.05 PM
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wanted to create a post to identify which features others do not understand or have further questions about. This is different than "errors/bugs".

I am planning on getting a Base Model and here are mine:

1. Keypad:
Are we not getting a key fob (It has been multiple decades since I did not have a key fob in a vehicle)? How do we start the vehicle? Is anyone going to keep their keys in the truck and use the keypad to get back in? Actually could be pretty useful for hiking/biking/canoeing etc. [Maybe a kill switch could be installed for added security].
2. Trailer Package: Not an option for the Base, but the cost for other trims is pretty expensive. Why? Why not just aftermarket? This seems like a DIY mod that is likely 1/2 the price of the option from the factory. Is there a downside here?
3. Aux Switches: Is wiring included? Where do these wires go? What about the back toward the trailer forward toward the battery (to have a dual battery system)? Why are you getting it, if you are?
4. Roof Rails: Is this done at the factory? Does anyone know for sure? I would assume that is better do to so that the dealer/aftermarket does not have to drill holes. Also, how does this work with roof panels removed?
5. Sasquatch v. Base tires: What if I don't lift the Bronco? What about if I get a second set of tires/wheels? Assuming I figure out the "negative offset", how big can they be without rubbing? 33s? Any bigger? I have two set of tires/wheels for my Mustang and I love having a different look every 5 or 7 months (with the winter tires) without actually having to permanently modify anything to my vehicle. Also, the incremental cost of this is only the wheels. The tires technically don't really cost me more, because they will last ~2x as long and I am just buying them in advance. Discount Tire swaps them out for free for me whenever I want. In theory, when it is "big tire season" I could just swap. Then when it is "daily driver season" I could go back to the base tires.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.44.05 PM.png
Hmm.
-Point 1 I never considered (as I've never had a vehicle with the external keypad that actually worked). We go kayaking a lot, and I have a dry box I use to keep my key fob in, take it down the river with me (secured so it doesn't get swept off). That would be handy.
-Point 2, yeah, I see no reason to pay for their hitch when it comes with no trailer or brake wiring. It's just a hitch. Unless you were leaving the dealership with a hitch basket or trailer I see no point in not just adding it yourself later and saving $.
-point 3, Yes, wired to the fuse panel and you run your aux wires to it. I'll not pretend to be an expert, as others on here own Raptors with the same set up and they can speak better to it. My understanding is it is a user-friendly, pre-wired to the under-hood panel setup.
-Point 4, Can't use the rack with the rear cube removed. Front two panels (and back seat panels on a 4 door) are able to be removed, but have to remove the rack to get the rear seat ones off, reinstall the rack. It mounts on the windshield frame and cube. As far as where it is installed? I would assume dealer and the cube has a provision for it to bolt on without drilling, but again, no expert as I didn't pay a lot of attention to the rack mounting on the one at SuperCell (unfortunately now after the fact).
Point 5, Depends on the model. In any of them you can go slightly larger than stock as far as clearances are concerned. Other factors come into play as far as speedo, gearing, etc. BL you can technically fit 35's on stock, but not on a base. Myself, I would try and squeeze 33's under a lower trim just because I felt I could, but it doesn't make it the right way to do it. Definitely could go 31's on a base or BB it looks like to me without issues on clearance.

Again, all my opinions here. With all of the arguing and back-and-forth going on these days I feel I need to preface all comments that I am not 100% fact-assured of with the "My opinion" so I'm not roasted or called an idiot by subject matter experts.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Keypad is an awesome feature that I use all the time. Its a must for me.
2. Tow package installed and wired from factory is great. Don't have to mess with running wires...
3. Aux switches are pre-wired to a box under the hood and another inside the vehicle for connecting lights or anything you want powered inside or outside of vehicle.
4. Roof rails look like they are easy to mount/un-mount, so getting it from factory is not that big of a deal, if you can't get them on B&P, just buy them later. Can remove front 2 panels with rack installed, not the middle section(4 door), or rear section.
5. I would think you could fit 32" tires on base without rubbing. Maybe 33"? No one knows yet...

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wiring is including in aux switches. Multiple threads about that...

Most likely done at the dealer. We don't know much about the attachment process , but i should be getting an answer from my dealersoon on the roof rails. I'll let you know.

Biggest ypu can fit will probably be 35s with sasquatch. Probably 33s no sasquatch.

Make sure you search through the forum before making a thresad. There are plenty of answers on here and not everyone is patient here. Hope i could help some.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hmm.
-Point 1 I never considered (as I've never had a vehicle with the external keypad that actually worked). We go kayaking a lot, and I have a dry box I use to keep my key fob in, take it down the river with me (secured so it doesn't get swept off). That would be handy.
-Point 2, yeah, I see no reason to pay for their hitch when it comes with no trailer or brake wiring. It's just a hitch. Unless you were leaving the dealership with a hitch basket or trailer I see no point in not just adding it yourself later and saving $.
-point 3, Yes, wired to the fuse panel and you run your aux wires to it. I'll not pretend to be an expert, as others on here own Raptors with the same set up and they can speak better to it. My understanding is it is a user-friendly, pre-wired to the under-hood panel setup.
-Point 4, Can't use the rack with the rear cube removed. Front two panels (and back seat panels on a 4 door) are able to be removed, but have to remove the rack to get the rear seat ones off, reinstall the rack. It mounts on the windshield frame and cube. As far as where it is installed? I would assume dealer and the cube has a provision for it to bolt on without drilling, but again, no expert as I didn't pay a lot of attention to the rack mounting on the one at SuperCell (unfortunately now after the fact).
Point 5, Depends on the model. In any of them you can go slightly larger than stock as far as clearances are concerned. Other factors come into play as far as speedo, gearing, etc. BL you can technically fit 35's on stock, but not on a base. Myself, I would try and squeeze 33's under a lower trim just because I felt I could, but it doesn't make it the right way to do it. Definitely could go 31's on a base or BB it looks like to me without issues on clearance.

Again, all my opinions here. With all of the arguing and back-and-forth going on these days I feel I need to preface all comments that I am not 100% fact-assured of with the "My opinion" so I'm not roasted or called an idiot by subject matter experts.
Thanks! Really detailed answers. I appreciate it. For #2 (Aux Switches), I am trying to figure out if there is some extra wiring the does not need to be run included to the front and back. Looks like you still need to run wires to the fuse panel?

For #4 (roof rack), based on what you said, it is likely that the aftermarket roof rails will be fine for people worried about it not being offered with Sasquatch. If they put it in at the factory with potential holes drilled, then it makes it more appealing to get upfront.

#5 (Tires): I think 32s might be what I do. I will get really different looking wheels, maybe matching the color of my vehicle. Perhaps I talk with some tire guys at discount tire and see what they say before I commit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
1. Keypad is an awesome feature that I use all the time. Its a must for me.
2. Tow package installed and wired from factory is great. Don't have to mess with running wires...
3. Aux switches are pre-wired to a box under the hood and another inside the vehicle for connecting lights or anything you want powered inside or outside of vehicle.
4. Roof rails look like they are easy to mount/un-mount, so getting it from factory is not that big of a deal, if you can't get them on B&P, just buy them later. Can remove front 2 panels with rack installed, not the middle section(4 door), or rear section.
5. I would think you could fit 32" tires on base without rubbing. Maybe 33"? No one knows yet...
1. I know this is a "Ford Thing", but I do get the sense that those who use it love it. Make total sense if you don't want to carry your keys around. Plus FordPass can unlock your doors if you have a phone... I think.
4. I am likely buying later then as other brands might look different/better.
5. I am talking with the Discount tire guys. Maybe I just bring the Bronco in for them to look at if they have some jeep tires they can fit on. I would think they would want to know to "upsell" to other bronco buyers.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! Really detailed answers. I appreciate it. For #2 (Aux Switches), I am trying to figure out if there is some extra wiring the does not need to be run included to the front and back. Looks like you still need to run wires to the fuse panel?

For #4 (roof rack), based on what you said, it is likely that the aftermarket roof rails will be fine for people worried about it not being offered. If it put in at the factory with potential holes drilled, then it makes it more appealing to get upfront.

#5 (Tires): I think 32s might be what I do. I will get really different looking wheels, maybe matching the color of my vehicle. Perhaps I talk with some tire guys at discount tire and see what they say before I commit.
Yes sir. I always aim to at least help a little and avoid bad advice when I don't know for sure. and in some of these I simply don't know.
I can assume from the other threads and info that any wiring TO that factory box from your aux parts is on you. They wire the switches to the box cleanly. Again, a Raptor owner or someone else who knows for sure can clarify.
After market will be fine for rails, as that is the route I'm going because I can't get it factory with a 4dr V6.
Tires: experts in the field always are best, if you can get unbiased advice. I've found most DT guys I try and talk to can't or don't advise anything other than factory size due to liability. In that case real-world guys with experience is the best bet. My assumption would be a 32 would probably go fine...but none of us have one to see for sure. And that's based on a base/BB/BD setup.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wiring is including in aux switches. Multiple threads about that...

Most likely done at the dealer. We don't know much about the attachment process , but i should be getting an answer from my dealersoon on the roof rails. I'll let you know.

Biggest ypu can fit will probably be 35s with sasquatch. Probably 33s no sasquatch.

Make sure you search through the forum before making a thresad. There are plenty of answers on here and not everyone is patient here. Hope i could help some.
How far does the wiring go. In other words, can I plug in to the back of the truck without wiring to the front? How many wires and where do they go? Thanks!

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On the towing, if I install a hitch and wiring myself, that is likely to be easy (is on the Wrangler). The question I have is: will the Trailer Sway software be enabled if I don’t order the tow package, and if not, is there a way to enable it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
On the towing, if I install a hitch and wiring myself, that is likely to be easy (is on the Wrangler). The question I have is: will the Trailer Sway software be enabled if I don’t order the tow package, and if not, is there a way to enable it?
Man... As the truck gets more electronically complex, it is harder to go aftermarket, isn't it?

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the question about the keypad, my understanding is that there is a free app that you can install on your phone that locks/unlocks the doors. If that is true, I will use that instead because I think the keypad looks a bit dated. If it is not true, I may put it behind the fuel door (like others suggested) if it fits in there.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Man... As the truck gets more electronically complex, it is harder to go aftermarket, isn't it?
Yeah - the same issue comes into play with aftermarket bumpers when you consider having to move all the sensors.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the question about the keypad, my understanding is that there is a free app that you can install on your phone that locks/unlocks the doors. If that is true, I will use that instead because I think the keypad looks a bit dated. If it is not true, I may put it behind the fuel door (like others suggested) if it fits in there.
FordPass.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Auxilliary switches are already connected to the fuse box. There is a short pigtail for each under the dash and the other end comes out under the hood. The Owner's Manual will list which switches are fused to what amperage.

The keypad is an awesome feature. I have had it on several vehicles.
Sponsored