Sponsored

B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not?

Can you drive a stick (manual)? Yes or No

• Total voters

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can. My wife can. My 16 y.o. daughter sorta can (work in progress), my 18 y.o. son cannot really and is not all that willing to try because he didn't pick it up instantly.

(My wife's Tacoma is a manual. When I get a Bronco, it will be an auto simply because I'd rather not have two manuals...all it takes is an effed up ankle and now you can't go anywhere if all you have is manuals. Well, that and I want the 2.7).
Sponsored

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

...In Socal traffic, adaptive cruise is a life saver. That one feature is why I'm getting the lux package lol . wish it was a stand alone option....
You can get adaptive cruise on the BL 7MT with the lux package. It's the Trail Control, Trail Turn Assist and Trail One-Pedal Driving (2.7 only) that you can only get with the 10sp.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think people some of the people who can’t or are kind of on the line of not being able to aren’t responding. Also, just because someone may be able to, doesn’t mean they want to screw around with it in someone else’s car.

Personally, I can get from A to B so I said I can drive them, but it has always been in an old beat up Jeep that my buddy didn’t care if I added a little extra wear and tear. If I worked as a valet, I would just say I couldn’t rather than risk damaging someone else’s car.
I "knew how" to drive a manual because I learned when I was 16 in Driver's Ed. I had one friend with a manual and could drive it good enough to get to the store but that's about it. I still probably took 5 years off of his clutch just to get a bag of chips and some cigarettes.

It wasn't until my adult life when I really could drive a manual. My wife and I rented a car in Paris and I mastered it over the course of a few weeks.

I agree with you... There are definitely different levels of being able to drive a manual.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was driving to out of state concerts in my girlfriends VW stick before I even got my license. And my first car was a 79 Mustang 5.0 stick. So yes.

But I'm getting an auto. I don't know how much longer my left knee is going to hold out.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just to confirm, you've grouped all manual transmissions into one category so sub-categories with 3-on-the-tree or non-synchronized gears go in as one?

There are those who can drive three-stick:

And there are those who can barely drive 1-stick.
Ford Bronco B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not? tenor[1]

And then there is everyone in an automatic transmission. (This includes Bronco owners)
Ford Bronco B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not? tenor[1]

Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm better at driving a manual than an automatic.
With an auto, my brakes and tires wear to quickly because I can never find the clutch.

getting-attention.gif

NotGuilty

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Out of my last 6 vehicles 4 were manuals. I will be getting a auto though. Moab is a short drive for me and I can't imagine driving Hell's Revenge or Fins and Things in a manual.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to confirm, you've grouped all manual transmissions into one category so sub-categories with 3-on-the-tree or non-synchronized gears go in as one?

There are those who can drive three-stick:

And there are those who can barely drive 1-stick.
Ford Bronco B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not? getting-attention

And then there is everyone in an automatic transmission. (This includes Bronco owners)
Ford Bronco B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not? getting-attention
And three of my tractors have a hand clutch, two of those also have a foot clutch...

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

...My wife and I rented a car in Paris and I mastered it over the course of a few weeks.

I agree with you... There are definitely different levels of being able to drive a manual.
Knowing how to drive a MT is definitely a useful skill to have if you ever travel internationally and want to rent a car. Depending on the country, autos may be available, but the majority will be sticks. I had a lot of fun driving a MT around when we went down to Costa Rica a few years ago.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We have these 'slider crimes', where folks try to drive off with your car at the gas pumps. Just waiting for one of these young thugs to try to pull away in my 6-speed (and wonder why they can't get it above 30mph).;)

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know how to drive a manual in theory, but I'm not very good at it (marked "no" in the poll).

I'm 25 so there just weren't many manuals around when I was learning to drive. I've probably spent a grand total of two hours behind the wheel of a manual in my life. But still, I would have ordered a manual if they offered it in the 2.7L because I'm sure I could figure it out within an afternoon and it seems like it would be more fun to drive.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I learned to drive on a manual in an old El Camino. Think I was 13, maybe just before my 14th Birthday.

Did my license exam and freeway driving on a stick in the DFW area, waaaaaay back in the day. Before 75 had sound walls, even. And the old Pit Grill could be seen from the highway for almost 2 miles.

SD_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hetal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner (Sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can get adaptive cruise on the BL 7MT with the lux package. It's the Trail Control, Trail Turn Assist and Trail One-Pedal Driving (2.7 only) that you can only get with the 10sp.
maybe you can get it but it wont be very useful, if the car slows down you still have to shift down, and shift up when speeds up. Specially in stop and go traffic, the left leg will be just as involved with the clutch as if you didn't have ACC.
Sponsored