Sponsored

B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not?

Can you drive a stick (manual)? Yes or No

• Total voters

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My first 4 or 5 cars were manuals. When I was 16, I actually"inherited" a brand new Mustang my mom had bought for herself. She had grown up driving tractors and cars with manual column shifters, but she couldn't get the hang of the Mustang's stick, so she gave it to me.

Finally switched to automatic when we had two young kids and dogs in the back. Automatic just made a lot of stuff easier at lights and such when dealing with the kids.

Our only manual now is our son's car. He's 22, but I end up driving it every now and then when he's home from college.

Actually, I guess my motorcycle counts, too, right? I've ridden since I was about 5 years old.

Definitely going auto, though. We're in our 50s. My wife is rapidly heading toward a total knee replacement. My knees are not as bad as hers, but they are not good, either.

We'll do some off-roading, but I won't be doing and hardcore stuff. The auto will handle everything I need it to.
Sponsored

borgnineamc

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would guess this is an age/male female thing in general. I am in my mid forties and don't remember many guys who couldn't drive stick by early twenties. It was always a pleasant surprise when the ladies could, or had any interest in learning. I have two much younger sisters (19 and 20 years younger) and one of them got my father to teach her to drive stick in his old F150. I asked her if she knew any of her friends who could drive stick, and none could, male or female.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

maybe you can get it but it wont be very useful, if the car slows down you still have to shift down, and shift up when speeds up. Specially in stop and go traffic, the left leg will be just as involved with the clutch as if you didn't have ACC.
Yeah, it would definitely be more useful in normal highway driving when you can just leave it in 6th for the most part.
If it's truly stop and go traffic <5mph, you might be able to just drop down into C and let it go. :p

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Started on a mid fifties Chevy with a 3 on the tree. Manual as DD 90% of the past 50 years. Current 15 year old Escape has a 5 speed paddle. Still enjoy watching people get in a try to figure how to get it out of park! Both my kids learned on sticks and one is in his 40ā€™s and both can still drive them. I didnā€™t realize you could forget although I used to put people into the windshield of my moms Granada when I would mistakenly hit the clutch that was really just a wide brake pedal. šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

Sean492

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Ford Mustang Boss 302 and 2011 Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have a 70 Mustang 4 spd that scratches the manual itch...Choose the A/T out of convenience and available options with the 2.7 L.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've almost exclusively driven manuals, my wife daily drives a FoST. We're getting a manual.

xiLLeNtz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My current vehicle is manual but the plan is to trade it in for the Bronco I've ordered. Ordered it with the automatic transmission because my wife refuses to learn to drive stick

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I would guess this is an age/male female thing in general. I am in my mid forties and don't remember many guys who couldn't drive stick by early twenties. It was always a pleasant surprise when the ladies could, or had any interest in learning. I have two much younger sisters (19 and 20 years younger) and one of them got my father to teach her to drive stick in his old F150. I asked her if she knew any of her friends who could drive stick, and none could, male or female.
My mom taught both my sister and me. She has always owned a stick, all my dad's cars were autos. My wife can drive a stick too, we've pretty much alternated whose car was a MT.
The plural of anecdotes isn't data, but I'm grateful for my mom teaching me.

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sadly or not, both my mom and dad had 5 speeds when I had to learn how to drive to get my license so yes I can drive a manual. My dad had an old Plymouth Acclaim and my mom had a Pontiac Vibe. Decided to stick with automatic though due to less delay and ability to get the 2.7.

Last edited:

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I learned on a 1964 Chebby pick-up 3 on the tree in 1975. My wife can drive a manual also. We had an 86' Bronco II w/5spd for about 20 years and also a 07' HHR w/5spd.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Learned to drive a stick on my grandfatherā€™s 1951 GMC pickup in the late 1960ā€™s. Had manuals on my 82 S10 and ā€˜86 Toyota 4x4, but havenā€™t driven a manual in more than 25 years. And I donā€™t want to.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can I drive a stick? Yes. Would I choose to downgrade from the V6 to have one? No.
Sponsored