Sponsored

B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not?

Can you drive a stick (manual)? Yes or No

• Total voters

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Learned to drive one as a freshman in HS. Handed the keys to a Toyota pickup and drove around on roads in an extremely remote area. Fine tuned my clutch use a few months later. Drove one for years until I got married and the wife needed to be able to drive my vehicle and she has no desire to learn. Going with the 10 speed on the new Bronco.
Sponsored

Overland_A51

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, learned in a 87 325i. Last vehicle with one was my 2011 Camaro. No way I can pass up the 2.7 , love it in my 150 so the 10 for me.

False

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I know how to drive manual, but donā€™t get to mess with one often. I was all about 2.7 BaseSquatch for a while just for power but after seeing KOH Iā€™m now leaning to the manual for more enjoyment in my driving experience. The fact of the matter is: the 10 speed is the only thing making me feel like I want to trade my F150 for a completely different brand or an older 6 speed auto F150. I swear to god that transmission is the absolute worst part about driving my truck. Doesnā€™t know what gear it wants to be in, sticks in gears every cold morning for multiple seconds, hard shifts, and dealer service departments who ā€œdonā€™t see anything wrongā€ on their computer or 1/2 mile test drive with a truck that warmed up for 30 minutes to get to them.

The amount of time I have wasted on various vehicles ā€œunder warrantyā€ just be told they donā€™t see a problem has made me completely disregard the very idea of a warranty. If my Bronco had a sub par driving experience because of tech that I couldnā€™t do anything about after all this time I would just be crushed.

And trust me, the 10 speed is the most anti owner piece of tech in a car I have ever seen. A video explaining how to simply change the fluid is about an hour long from someone who knows exactly what theyā€™re doing and has the stupid amount of tools required at the ready.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm kinda leaning manual now too. Was set on the 2.7 but seeing the Ranger do well with the 2.3, thinking maybe ok in the Bronco too. Got time to decide since I'm a '22. Hopefully there will be some reviews out there for those of us on the fence by go time.

šŸæ

Sponsored

echance01

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Learned to drive a manual on my first vehicle ever. Going with a MT on my Bronco as this will not be my daily driver. Hoping to teach my boys on this before this next generation of kiddos only option is to fly electric vehicles. šŸ˜‚

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have driven manuals most of my life. I have had automatics the last few years and am going back to a manual for the Bronco. I donā€™t drive much, about 6 k / year, and walk to work or work from home, so I guess I want to be more engaged when I do drive. I am also excited to teach my son and stepdaughter, and they are excited too.

Last edited:

Vaquero61

Black Diamond
First Name
Irv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco,F150,Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
95.5% can drive a stick...well the other non respondents can't. This would have to be a private poll to get accurate numbers. Many may have driven a stick at some time or another, but it's been nearly impossible to get a stick for years now from the mainstream automarkers. It took me a very long time to decide on the Bronco 7 speed, but when I did, I will sell my '93 Alfa with the 5 speed as I always like to have a manual in my stable to stay in "shifting: shape. When I finally get my 7 speed Bronco, the F150 goes too....

Alfa31.JPG

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's like saying "How many of you do not pick your nose?" Would you *really* expect all the nose-pickers to fess up?
<---Picks Nose... :D ...

Once upon a time, back in the day, and this ain't no shit, in Pennsylvania, you could get a license at 12 for farm tractors. Country boys all knew how to drive a manual by then. No such thing as syncromesh on 'em. They have since updated it, Current:

6. Requirements for Operators of Implements of Husbandry (PVC Ā§ 1502)(5) ā€“ The driver of an implement of husbandry must be at least 14 years of age. Drivers 14 or 15 years old may only operate implements of husbandry on one or two lane roads that bisect or immediately adjoin the premises where the driver resides. Operators of implements of husbandry are not required to have a driverā€™s license.

Reactions: sjp

Saddle Tramp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350, 2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick poll of you awesome members.

So I am guessing that most (more than 50%) of B6G members can drive a manual and @Drex thinks itā€™s less than 50%. Made me curious but yes or no, can you drive a manual?
Took driver training in Jr High, about 1957 in late 50ā€™s era Plymouth, not dead sure it was Plymouth, manual trans, and no blinkers, and it was legal, how many of you have used hand signals? Have driven, five speed with 2 speed axle switch under the dash, 5 speed with two speed axle on the stick, five speed close ratio with two speed on the stick. Early 60ā€™s era gasoline internationl dump trucks, and semi belly dumps 5 speed two speed axle, NO SYNCROMESH, if you got smooth on these, any other truck transmission was a piece of cake, this was a very unforgiving transmission, very satisfying to get smooth on them. Over the road trucks with 10 speed road rangers, 13 speed road rangers, 15 speed road ranger, which was actually a ten speed with 5 granny gears, and 5 x 4, two sticks on the floor, 66 GTO 4spd, and many manual ranch trucks. I really enjoyed shifting in highway trucks. But when it comes to pickups, or off road vehicles, give me an automatic every time! In my opinion, automatic in ranch truck, or off road vehicle, is superior!

Last edited:

Saddle Tramp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350, 2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once upon a time, back in the day, and this ain't no shit, in Pennsylvania, you could get a license at 12 for farm tractors. Country boys all knew how to drive a manual by then. No such thing as syncromesh on 'em. They have since updated it, Current:

6. Requirements for Operators of Implements of Husbandry (PVC Ā§ 1502)(5) ā€“ The driver of an implement of husbandry must be at least 14 years of age. Drivers 14 or 15 years old may only operate implements of husbandry on one or two lane roads that bisect or immediately adjoin the premises where the driver resides. Operators of implements of husbandry are not required to have a driverā€™s license.
Oil

Most of my farm buddies were driving tractors, about 10 yrs of age, I have never heard of a license to drive a tractor. Kids arenā€™t helpless, or unable to take responsibility. In 1910 Bud & Temple Abernathy, sons of a sheriff in Oklahoma, who was a friend of Pres Teddy Roosevelt, rode their horses by their selves from Oklahoma to NY City, where they met up with their Father. They met the President, their Father bought two cars there, he drove one back to OK, the boys drove the other. The boys ended up as lawyers in Dallas.

JohnMcClane

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never thought Iā€™d reach a point in my life where people would boast about learning to drive a manual in the same manner a high schooler boasts about losing their virginity, but here we are...
Ford Bronco B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not? 46F2166B-0B89-457E-9BDB-A3152D0BDC30
Sponsored