HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With the Mach E being announced what are the odds the Baby Bronco will have a full electric option????

I think if not initially, very soon it will.
Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think there's been some realization in the auto industry that full-electric vehicles turn out better when they're based on an electric-only platform, i.e. zero packaging compromises by trying to be able to fit both ICE and electric systems in one platform.

So ... maybe there will be a full-electric in the Bronco family but I doubt it would be on an ICE Bronco platform unless it's a compliance vehicle (like the Focus electric).

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford has lightly hinted that their entire lineup will go EV down the line.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has lightly hinted that their entire lineup will go EV down the line.
Yeah, they'll make compromised hybrid compliance vehicles out of everything.

A few of those got delayed, like the Broncos, after the not so stellar launch of the Explorer.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd expect that most brand new vehicles released 2021 or later will at least have consideration given to fitting a hybrid powertrain of sorts. But, as frinesi2 said, making a good full electric vehicle seems to go best when building from the ground up, with only electric in mind.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From what I've read the future of vehicles may follow the British expression, "horses for courses". There's a fair expectation that the number of vehicles per household will increase over the next 20 years, each having a designated purpose. While we wait for the 'future' to arrive we'll be in an environment with evolving battery range - often thought to be one of the most important dynamics for consumers. Improvement is good because it makes things better...but rapid improvements can also freeze consumers because they decide to wait & see what happens next. The chart below illustrates how things have changed over the past few years:

Battery-Range-BEV-2011-2019.png

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I honestly think the mass-production future will be like the new RAV4 plug in hybrid. It’s a sick system, faster than any other RAV4 and gets 39 miles of electric only range. I’d love that system in the Bronco.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I honestly think the mass-production future will be like the new RAV4 plug in hybrid. It’s a sick system, faster than any other RAV4 and gets 39 miles of electric only range. I’d love that system in the Bronco.
At this time, I still fear the long term costs and complexities of such a system, however, it seems ideally suited to how I use my vehicle. I have a short, in town commute 5 days a week, but I do a lot of road trips on weekends, often towing a small trailer. To be able to do all my commuting on economical battery power, while still having the convenience and range of a powerful gas engine, sounds great. But, if I buy now, will I still think it's great in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Technology is moving fast, as pointed out by CarolinaJim above.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
At this time, I still fear the long term costs and complexities of such a system, however, it seems ideally suited to how I use my vehicle. I have a short, in town commute 5 days a week, but I do a lot of road trips on weekends, often towing a small trailer. To be able to do all my commuting on economical battery power, while still having the convenience and range of a powerful gas engine, sounds great. But, if I buy now, will I still think it's great in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Technology is moving fast, as pointed out by CarolinaJim above.
Fair enough. If I truly intend to keep my Bronco forever and pass it down to my kids etc. I won’t go with a hybrid. If I think I’ll keep it for a few years and upgrade down the line to the “rubicon” equivalent package I’ll probably go with the hybrid.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Mach E is on a dedicated EV platform, skateboard type.

The BB is on the FWD Escape platform, which, at this stage, means it'll be PHEV at best.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, they'll make compromised hybrid compliance vehicles out of everything.

A few of those got delayed, like the Broncos, after the not so stellar launch of the Explorer.
The Explorer had other issues not related to the hybrid-the hybrid didn't launch til later in the summer/fall due to it being done in a separate building along with the PIU and some other models.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So maybe not the baby Bronco, what about this for the platform for a full EV Bronco Bronco????

https://www.riviantruck.com/
The Rivian skateboard is too expensive to use for a Bronco and also quite larger then the expected Bronco-its roughly the size of an 2020 Explorer.

Ford is doing a Lincoln based off it, most likely it will replace the Continental in name and shape.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Rivian skateboard is too expensive to use for a Bronco and also quite larger then the expected Bronco-its roughly the size of an 2020 Explorer...
I'm sure people would be fine with a shrunken down version with 100 miles of range.

/s
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.