Sponsored

Bad APIM For 2 Months So Far - Filed Lemon Law Complaint with BBB - Here Is The Outcome

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got a black screen of death on Aug 17. I went to my dealer the next day and it was confirmed I had a bad APIM. I left Betty Bronco there and went home in a 22 Ford Explorer loaner (most boring car I've ever driven). I searched the Forums and found many people with the same issue with no ETA for the backordered part. My dealer says they have the part from a 3rd party company but Ford has not produced the software. Dealer confirmed no ETA.

Contacted @Ford Motor Company via the forum. They created a ticket for me and I received a phone call from an incomprehensible Ford customer service rep. Several weeks passed with no information - the dealer kept saying call Ford for info and Ford kept saying my dealer has the info. I asked Ford for some type of compensation and was told she will look into an extended warranty for me. I never heard back.

I decided to look into Lemon Law. I wasn't interested in getting a different Bronco but I felt something should be done. I found that the BBB has a program with major auto companies (which i never knew about before). Lemon Law doesn't just mean you get rid of the car. There's a negotiation process before that occurs. I love my Bronco. I just want what i paid for and paid extra for a functioning 12" screen.

The process was seamless with the BBB. I filled out a few forms and uploaded paperwork into the website. I knew i had a "lemon" as my car has been in for service for 30+ days (state of FL, not sure about other states).

I received a phone call about a week after filling out the forms. It was a call from a representative at the BBB saying he has 3 offers for me from Ford! What??! I didn't even realize I was done submitting the forms and actually had a couple more to go. Ford acknowledged that my car is a lemon.

1. buy back the car
  2. extended warranty + cash
  3. cash
Ford suggested in the letter to take either 2 or 3 as there are no other Broncos that I can have my car replaced with. Plus, I want a Bronco (working one).

I agreed to #2 this morning. Still no ETA on the part. I asked my BBB representative "what happens if the part doesn't come for another 3 or 6 months?" He said this "goodwill offer" does not prevent us from filing again if necessary. I will reconnect with them in January and pray the part comes in soon.

Here is the website: https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline

They don't call me Karen for nothing ;)

EDIT TO ADD: I returned the Explorer September 25 and have been driving my Bronco since.
Sponsored

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Others have driven around their vehicle waiting for the part to come in. I mean it would suck because you don't have a lot of the controls or radio.

Personally If this happens to me, I'll think I'll go with the F-150 fix until the part came in and keep driving my Bronco.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Others have driven around their vehicle waiting for the part to come in. I mean it would suck because you don't have a lot of the controls or radio.

Personally If this happens to me, I'll think I'll go with the F-150 fix until the part came in and keep driving my Bronco.
I forgot to mention I picked up the Bronco and have been driving it for about a month.

This BBB Auto Line option is listed in the Bronco Qwner's Manual, and has been posted multiple times in the Bronco6G forum - for example here and here

Hope Ford get's the replacement part for you soon. Good work with the BBB filing.
With no screen there’s no manual!

Laredo

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
:D

Now we know why it's not fixed yet

Sponsored
OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm going to file one. I am tired of this to be honest. lack of radio is frustrating but not having a backup camera is a safety hazard and this is BS. It will be 4 months soon since it went out.

I am curious though, what did you put for model of vehicle in the form? it doesn't have Bronco on mine... I've double and triple checked... lol

Thanks for sharing and following up.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ah but the keyboard warriors on this site would have you believe you need a lawyer to get any resolution with lemon law 😂. Amazing how many don’t know how this works. Good work.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm going to file one. I am tired of this to be honest. lack of radio is frustrating but not having a backup camera is a safety hazard and this is BS. It will be 4 months soon since it went out.

I am curious though, what did you put for model of vehicle in the form? it doesn't have Bronco on mine... I've double and triple checked... lol

Thanks for sharing and following up.
I just entered anything. You have an opportunity to re-enter any information manually.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah but the keyboard warriors on this site would have you believe you need a lawyer to get any resolution with lemon law 😂. Amazing how many don’t know how this works. Good work.
I appreciate that! I posted this to help others. It was much easier than i thought.

Sponsored

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
How much did they give you?
This is the question that matters! What we’re the numbers on options #2 (warranty years and cash amount) and #3 (cash amount)?

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine went black yesterday morning. Dealer looking at it this morning. Ford Engineer now looking at the test results. I guess my Bronco has cancer or something. May be APIM, BCM, or a few other modules. They will update me today or tomorrow (what they stated). I'm like, good luck boys. I'm waiting to hear the bad news.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Book marked and hope I never have to use and reference! Thanks OP!
Sponsored