K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dang now you guys are making me worry my top will have the same issue lol I'll have to go triple check my top today
Sponsored

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey look at that! A quality top and a trail! You donā€™t have to have one or the other! Btw that was the dumbest rebuttal Iā€™ve ever seen.

59C864B7-94D2-4297-A3F1-6491035F2631.png
I have more chance to get scratch at my mall then you on the trail....lolšŸ˜

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

when I get mine I will double check all the top edges at the dealer to document any issue then I am going to seal the edges myself if need be.

AJ_West_

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands Sas, 15 Colorado, 91 GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took delivery of my Bronco (Badlands, Sasquatch, Hardtop) on 10/14. I too at delivery was not convinced I got a good top. I had my dealer mark it on the due bill as ā€œhardtop unfinished edgesā€.
A1931813-56B3-497F-881C-0758613555F0.jpeg
288C57DC-4591-4404-BC1F-D8601324F2B6.jpeg
04E1B6DF-D25F-46D0-8DDB-892607B453F1.jpeg
0308985F-81AD-4B3F-BA55-09AC863F705F.jpeg
0D6C9C32-1345-4305-9BD1-CC6AEE377A22.jpeg
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days Bronco 1
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days Bronco 2

In addition to what I noted as "unfinished edges" on my due-bill with the dealer I also noted the weird "dimple" that was on my hardtop. As well as the long scratch on the top/side of the hardtop. Per my previous post dealer initially claimed was from tape residue from plastic protection in shipping. I called them out on that, they tried using compound to remove the line and sure enough it didn't go away.

Someone mentioned going through a touchless carwash... Right now, until this mystery is solved I'll be staying away from touchless carwashes. Touchless carwashes typically use an insane amount of chemicals to get cars clean, who knows what that will do to these tops.

However, I will say I still feel extremly fortunate to have my Bronco, even with these top issues. Ford needs a real solution, it doesn't appear MIC 2.0 truly solved all the discrepancies.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I shall take a look and post if so.
I only ha
Do you have a process label for your Top ?
My MIC top has a 5/19/2021 date. Vehicle build date was 7/2/21
This label is on the mounting flange. A second one dates a coating that was applied.

I only had a tag for the primer coating.

Sponsored

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Admins will hide this thread in the ā€œissuesā€ forum that gets no traffic just like my MIC 2 top postā€¦

or my post that got very little traction as well

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's what I find amusing. Go find a 3rd thru 5th gen Bronco and look at the clamshell top. As I remember the tops, they are think, heavy chopped molded fiberglass and a PIA to remove and store. Back in the day He-men (i.e. stalky, non-hair bun wearing dudes) would just pull the top and leave it the shed or on the ground with a tarp over it. LOL.

Jump now to 2021 and we are supposed to expect some space-age, beyond carbon fiber lightweight material that is beautiful, impervious to the elements, and seals against hurricanes while being easy to remove and store. All at a starting price of $30K.

Got it. What a joke.
I donā€™t believe expectations are off for 2021. I have a 2018 JL wrangler with a 3 piece freedom top. It is easy to remove and doesnā€™t leak. Ford should be able to make something of similar quality For 2021-22. Accepting anything less is a joke.

I am waiting on my Bronco as well.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are mall crawler maybe you need perfection for the cosmetic... .

I plan to be on the trail most of the time ..
I wouldn't necessarily call edge delamination cosmetic though. Especially if the interior honeycomb structure is paper based. Over time you could get some wicking of moisture along the edges, which down the road could cause issues. Especially for folks who tend to hang onto vehicles a long time.

I'm so happy Ford entered the open-top arena, on one level I don't want to criticize the hardtop. But I'd want Ford to get a handle on issues that are not cosmetic in nature, and that could comprise the integrity of the top.

Also my TJ and CJ hardtops are 23 and 36 years old respectively. Other than cosmetically, they are no worse for wear. With the way myself and kids are always taking the tops on/off, leaving them in the backyard where they encounter sitting in water/mud, I'd want the Bronco top to handle the abuse.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜88 911,ā€˜15 Chevy 2500, ā€˜24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

impervious to the elements, and seals against hurricanes
Ooops, almost forgot to mention my lap got a little wet yesterday. New England is getting hit with a Nor'easter. I got in my Bronco after work pulled forward and water came flowing off of the roof mounted toggles onto me and the shifter. Had some napkins in the glove box to sop up the excess. I have run it through a touchless car wash once before and didn't notice any leaks. All the latches were fully engaged. So yeah...

Last edited:

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
when I get mine I will double check all the top edges at the dealer to document any issue then I am going to seal the edges myself if need be.
I think that'll be the best fix for short term. I can't imagine Ford stopping production on the tops and Broncos again because of the roof. I think at this point, it's better for them to just ship everything out with the 2.0s and then replace them as soon as they catch up and can figure out wtf is going on. I think some epoxy on the edges could get by for a little while.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t believe expectations are off for 2021. I have a 2018 JL wrangler with a 3 piece freedom top. It is easy to remove and doesnā€™t leak. Ford should be able to make something of similar quality For 2021-22. Accepting anything less is a joke.

I am waiting on my Bronco as well.
This. Itā€™s not like easily removable hard tops havenā€™t been done before. Itā€™s been done for decades now.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m way too old for common core. One question- if you were to buy the mic top itself today, do you think youā€™re getting it for $695? No- itā€™ll be well over $3k. The $695 is the difference in price between the soft top and mic top when you build the vehicle. Itā€™s not hard to understand. Get your slide rule out,
Of course if these issues continue the mic top wonā€™t be worth even $695.
All true... sort of. My position from day 1 has been that it is the ugliest, most useless, unable to bear wait hardtop on any off road vehicle I've seen. I'll hold on to that $695, buy some Bitcoin with it, double my money, and put it towards a hardtop that I actually want when it becomes available. Might take one to two years but so will most reservation holders Broncos.

But the fact is it costs you today (or the day you take delivery) an extra $695 for the MIC. $3K later delivered is pure speculation, but yes shipping to you or your dealer will more than likely double the cost. My hunch however is that Ford will be doing damage control and subsidizing some of those costs for PR purposes. Not to mention if someone has a hardon for a crappy MIC 1.0 or 2.0 I'm sure Ebay or Craigslist will come to the rescue at very reasonable prices.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dang now you guys are making me worry my top will have the same issue lol I'll have to go triple check my top today
Finds the top has transformed to this, lol.

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 1635345246033
Sponsored