First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why am I getting the feeling that Ford just sprayed a primer coat on the MIC 1.0 and shipped them out???
Because that's more than likely what happened.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why am I getting the feeling that Ford just sprayed a primer coat on the MIC 1.0 and shipped them out???
Because that's more than likely what happened. They call that 'retooling'!

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lowest Bidder for the job and you get the expected results. I‘m sure this was bid out and then cost reductions were made.
Yes. Exactly how Ford works with suppliers when I was working for them.

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 tops in boxes, just sitting there.... and yet how many stuck still at the Dirt Mountain Storage Complex.
four tops in boxes scheduled to be switched out with bad tops already delivered. I would be willing to bet that way more are being allocated to dirt mountain than already delivered orders.

The Dmv

Base
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2d Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, I work with data. I don't make rash decisions based on zero information. A picture on the internet of bonded edge of a plastic sandwich that looks rough and possibly permeable doesn't count as data in my book. I have some experience in the manufacture of plastic parts, not an expert, but well above the average consumer. It's said the honeycomb structure inside the top is cardboard. Is that confirmed or is it just rumor from someone who has looked at it and not know what he was looking at.

I've researched it as much as possible, but I don't even know for sure what type of plastic is used (thermoformed vs. thermosetting) in the top and what plastic forming processes are used to create and bond the parts. I can't see a paper product having enough rigidity or chemical reaction to cause a honeycomb imprint through SMC or or an injection molded polyethylene plastic. I could envision a process of solvent bonding of a plastic honeycomb structure bleeding through a thin sheet plastic skin, but solvent bonding wouldn't be used for a paper-based material. I've not yet even seen a MIC top in person to inspect it and maybe provide clues as to how it is manufactured. TBH all of the pics of seen on this Forum of the MIC top, it looks okay to me. If you have to have an eyeball (or lens) 3 inches from the surface to see the honeycomb, then LOL. Eyeball any car's painted surface that is averagely maintained by its owner and the paint will look like shit too; my cars do.

Nothing I've seen about the MIC top says it is a POS. Manufacturing tolerances are a different subject matter. I'll reserve judgement on it until I see a few in person.
Right. But unless those pictures are doctored, the edges look like poop. And they’re brand new, or certainly new enough to be expected to not look like poop…no?

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Okay, normally I don't call this out, as I understand the misspelling, but to use both forms in the same sentence and still get it wrong...
Ha! I have a very good buddy that get's this wrong every time. I don't have the guts to point it out to him(dude has a damn MBA).

But if I did, I'd say it like Bif Tannnen.... "It's Lose not Loose, you sound like a damn fool when you spell it wrong"

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ByrdDogX

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What we need is an adapter kit for the Jeep hard top. (I kid)

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked parts system, no running completes and no long blocks yet. 43 in transit to packager with an off back order date of 11/15. Shows 4 on backorder and could mean at least 2 of those are forum members.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I work with data. I don't make rash decisions based on zero information. A picture on the internet of bonded edge of a plastic sandwich that looks rough and possibly permeable doesn't count as data in my book. I have some experience in the manufacture of plastic parts, not an expert, but well above the average consumer. It's said the honeycomb structure inside the top is cardboard. Is that confirmed or is it just rumor from someone who has looked at it and not know what he was looking at.

I've researched it as much as possible, but I don't even know for sure what type of plastic is used (thermoformed vs. thermosetting) in the top and what plastic forming processes are used to create and bond the parts. I can't see a paper product having enough rigidity or chemical reaction to cause a honeycomb imprint through SMC or or an injection molded polyethylene plastic. I could envision a process of solvent bonding of a plastic honeycomb structure bleeding through a thin sheet plastic skin, but solvent bonding wouldn't be used for a paper-based material. I've not yet even seen a MIC top in person to inspect it and maybe provide clues as to how it is manufactured. TBH all of the pics of seen on this Forum of the MIC top, it looks okay to me. If you have to have an eyeball (or lens) 3 inches from the surface to see the honeycomb, then LOL. Eyeball any car's painted surface that is averagely maintained by its owner and the paint will look like shit too; my cars do.

Nothing I've seen about the MIC top says it is a POS. Manufacturing tolerances are a different subject matter. I'll reserve judgement on it until I see a few in person.
I don't know for sure the exact material composition and manufacturing process used for Bronco. But below is a link mentioning Webasto and paper honeycomb used in composite roofs.

There is mention of the outer surface acting as weatherproofing. It's reasonable to assume you would not want water getting inside the composite interior due to seams or edges that might not be completely sealed. Susceptibility to water doing damage inside, would depend on the extent that the paper honeycomb was infused with other materials.

https://www.webasto-group.com/en/technologies-trends/lightweight/polyurethane-composites/
Sponsored