Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 King Ranch F150 Supercrew.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, that is why I wrote: "Susceptibility to water doing damage inside, would depend on the extent that the paper honeycomb was infused with other materials."
Let's not forget the potential for mold spores to live and thrive inside the compromised shell.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I really donā€™t understand why they couldnā€™t just make the entire top out of an injection molded piece of plastic. Thatā€™s what I always thought it was.
It would flex to much, no structural ridgiditity.

Sponsored

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just a question.

My 2.0 also has unfinished edges, guaranteed it splits like some of these examples.

It's all under warranty... Why get up in arms about it? Ford is gonna have to do something about it; warranty exists for literally this exact scenario.
Unless they throw the "It's only an appearance issue" line at you. I'm with others here that water intrusion will be a issue on the laminated top nearly anywhere. Even if the paper is treated to resist water intrusion.
Water intrusion in the laminations obviously will freeze and thaw just like the highways we drive on do. Not many of us like that result, especially after 3 or more years. And end of warranty coverage.
And in the south mold and mildew in unreachable and hard to clean places are are a maintenance and odor problem that we live with year round.
@Ford Motor Company should be able to explain how this "Will Not Be An Issue" IF the top is designed so lamination separation is not an issue. Must be hundreds of tops somewhere that could be used in cutaway samples to show how all our FEAR AND FRETTING over MIC top quality is misplaced.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My experience as well as a Gladiator owner. Two years and not a single issue with leaks or appearance and super easy to remove. Yet Ford fanboys are willing to pay $50k+ for a disaster of a top.
Why would anyone accept this? I get it- itā€™s been a very long wait (roll out is yet another Ford disaster coupled with a potential 2.7 disaster brewing) and they want their Broncos- shit and all. But to try and bury it under the rug is just crap. Iā€™m really amazed at what some customers are willing to take simply because it has ā€œFordā€ on it.
Ain't that the truth. I started a thread asking of people to buy another new Ford after the way Ford is dealt with this, and it's been overwhelmingly the die-hard saying they will continue to be Ford fans.

You know when you build a Jeep, and you add the top it's like $1,500. Ford is charging $700. I'll be more than happy to pay $800 extra dollars to get a better top.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience as well as a Gladiator owner. Two years and not a single issue with leaks or appearance and super easy to remove. Yet Ford fanboys are willing to pay $50k+ for a disaster of a top.
Why would anyone accept this? I get it- itā€™s been a very long wait (roll out is yet another Ford disaster coupled with a potential 2.7 disaster brewing) and they want their Broncos- shit and all. But to try and bury it under the rug is just crap. Iā€™m really amazed at what some customers are willing to take simply because it has ā€œFordā€ on it.
No one is accepting it. But even with the few early production glitches there are still 200,000 or more folks waiting/wanting for one. Why, because most every review is positive and they look rad.
The death wobble Jeep owners have the issues...

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't read all 41 pages

I am not happy about this development. At the end of the day, you either have to trust Ford will fix the issues that arise, or decide you cannot trust them.

If you trust them, then it makes sense to move forward with the Bronco purchase.

If you cannot trust them, then you should probably let go of your Bronco dream and move on.

I don't trust that the finished product (Mic Top) will be great quality. I do trust that Ford will stand behind the product if it has issues.

If I felt differently, I would be on a Jeep forum somewhere else.

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, is it safe to assume all these tops are all dirt mountain reject repair tops?
Yep.... Spray a little primer on it.... cover the screw ups.... send it out..... now one will know.... yea.... right...

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just picked up my Black Diamond Saturday. Noticed "scales" (is that what we're calling it??) on the top of my MIC roof when I removed it. Wasn't this the other appearance problem that led to the recall?

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days Bronco scales

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Perhaps all us MIC top folks are thinking about this the wrong way. I want a hardtop because I expect it to last the life of the vehicle with proper maintenance.
Maybe they are like soft tops, you will need a new one every 5 years? šŸ¤”

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really donā€™t believe these tops are MIC 2.0. (Remember, thatā€™s this forumā€™s term, not Fordā€˜s.)

Rather I believe the pictures are of better quality MIC 1.0 tops that were reworked. The pictures of the ā€œPrimer Appliedā€œ labels support this thought. Why else would primer be applied to a molded in color, unpainted top? Go back through the thread and take a look. Thereā€™s a picture a few posts back. Ford likely researched, got information from industry experts and determined a rework strategy was worth the risk, would help supplement tops from the new process, accelerate deliveries and improve quarterly profits.

Every item listed is important to shareholders and senior management. Senior management has to take risks and make tough decisions. Most of these decisions go just fine, some donā€™t turn out as well. Risk reward, big boy and girl pants. Some on this forum should try those on some day. I started on a production line 29 years ago and made it as far as VP of Global Manufacturing. Each time I went up a level Iā€™d look back and think, ā€œHoly crap, I had no idea of the crap and decisions my boss dealt with!ā€

Ford never promised 100% of the tops shipped would be MIC 2.0 from the new tooling and process. They did state replacement tops or new tops would be provided. (See posts 528 & 540 and read carefully.)

ā€œReplacement planā€, per the statement in the letter, doesnā€™t equal 100% MIC 2.0. It could easily mean some MIC 2.0 were shipped with some Broncos along with reworked MIC 1.0 that were deemed okay to ship after rework if they met quality standards approved by senior management.

Last edited:

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Imagine what these tops are going to look like after 5 or 10 years of daily exposure. šŸ˜²

Has anyone figured out how to duct tape a Jeep hardtop on a Bronco?
Sponsored