First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m starting to believe that having to wait 3 year to get my Bronco is quite fortunate. Perhaps by then, they will work out the bugs. But, most likely not. I guess we are all enablers: standing in line to give them our money no matter what they produce. There really isn’t any incentive for them to get their act together…..
Best point so far actually. Lol
Sponsored

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
His Blend was 07/13. If his has the two stickers indicating that the top was manufactured on a date earlier than 08/12 and then sprayed with a primer coat to cosmetically hide the delamination
My Blend date was 7/2 and my 2 Dr MIC has two stickers dated in May. One states that the primer was applied. My guess is the the primer was part of the original MIC 1.0 process and not a cover up used in 2.0 process.

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Blend date was 7/2 and my 2 Dr MIC has two stickers dated in May. One states that the primer was applied. My guess is the the primer was part of the original MIC 1.0 process and not a cover up used in 2.0 process.
This is what has been seen on tops posted by others. This shows a top produced in May and then primed in September. Fords communication stated that everyone on DM was waiting for and would receive a NEW top prior to shipment, not a different top with a new primer coat.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 1635675190996

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh I agree, we know Ford is full of crap. But instead of coming out and officially stating that it's all screwed up, They make it sound like they're doing us a favor because we weren't happy with the cosmetics.

Yet people apparently will still live and breathe blue.
They will never officially say "we screwed up", but halting production of their most successful vehicle in decades as well as replacing all current tops is a pretty big mea culpa. This doesn't mean the top is fixed but never got the "we are doing you a favor" vibe.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is what has been seen on tops posted by others. This shows a top produced in May and then primed in September. Fords communication stated that everyone on DM was waiting for and would receive a NEW top prior to shipment, not a different top with a new primer coat.
1635675190996.jpeg
The point I was trying to make is that the primer may be part of the original process and not to hide anything. My stickers- built 5-19, primed the next day. Blend date 7/2. Delivery 7/16
I think MICs with a May label are 1.0 tops.

Also note the different dating type for “ 3 dr “. Maybe two separate production lines.

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days EDB52D3B-5D50-4446-ABAA-0AEED265AD5A

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 7BE7CA08-6895-4577-B6E9-26DDF4A43521

Last edited:

Sponsored

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe Ford should go talk to Jeep and their top manufacturer. The various Wrangler tops seem to hold up just fine.
Same manufacturer for both, but engineering designs from Jeep and Ford are proprietary. Webasto just makes them to provided specifications. Ford engineers may need to bring new talent onto their team as the current design is not cutting it. There are plenty of 1970s Broncos, Scouts, and Jeeps with original hard tops still in serviceable condition, it's not that hard.

Last edited:

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
thats cool. Enjoy your next break down and tow when your auxiliary battery suddenly dies and your vehicle will not jump. Or perhaps when your electric steering freezes up driving down a mountain pass or turning in a busy intersection. I’ll take the crappy top issue.
First part hasn’t been a thing since about three months after the aux battery launched but you do you fam

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would flex to much, no structural ridgiditity.
This is from Bronco Super Celebration in CO this summer at the Ford booth.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just picked up my Black Diamond Saturday. Noticed "scales" (is that what we're calling it??) on the top of my MIC roof when I removed it. Wasn't this the other appearance problem that led to the recall?

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days trim.3CE5DDC0-49F1-435C-8A42-DD0315AE5EFC.MOV
Total guess here- These formed tops remind me of the type of Kevlar, Nomex and fiberglass honeycomb panels used in the manufacture of aircraft. The panels are formed by vacuum or hot press. Kevlar and Nomex are used to limit fire /smoke spread.
The panels I have seen have the finished coatings applied prior to the forming process.
These edges really need to have a UV resistant strip.
A few references :
Understanding Honeycomb Panel and Honeycomb Composite Structures - YouTube
aeroFIBER™ Honeycomb Panels (collinsaerospace.com)

StevieD23

Wildtrak
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra, 2021 AMB Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same manufacturer for both, but engineering designs from Jeep and Ford are proprietary. Webasto just makes them to provided specifications. Ford engineers may need to bring new talent onto their team as the current design is not cutting it. There are plenty of 1970s Broncos, Scouts, and Jeeps with original hard tops still in serviceable condition, it's not that hard.
That was actually going to be my question. Through thousands of posts about these tops, whose fault is it at the end of the day? Is Ford forcing Webasto to make these tops using cheap materials resulting in these issues? It's just hard to believe that they've been in business for a century with a decent reputation and they all of a sudden suck at making tops?

Sponsored

Bronco216g

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 & 2013 C63 AMG
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Zachary. It falls in the category "You get what you pay for".
Also no bracing in the middle, Jeep tops have 8 total bolts 3 each side on the rear and one each side mounted to the bracing (that Ford removed)

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My soft top is already broken so I think you are damned either way you go. I have not been impressed with this soft top design at all. Plastic tabs that hold the sections of together break really easily, the metal cables rub against everything, I can just see these not last very long with a lot use.

Bronco216g

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 & 2013 C63 AMG
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is from Bronco Super Celebration in CO this summer at the Ford booth.
Why Ford shouldn’t have removed the bracing structurally it’s there for a reason.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why Ford shouldn’t have removed the bracing structurally it’s there for a reason.
It's no problem. When the front panels interlock, it's tight. At high speed the back shell is solid by itself.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days trim.3CE5DDC0-49F1-435C-8A42-DD0315AE5EFC.MOV
Actually, the top sticker says 9/5/2021 and then had primer applied on 9/16/2021. Webasto uses a different date coding than the lower primer sticker from Ford. For proof, go to post 740. There is no 19th month.
Sponsored