First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently put my Yakima platform back on, and it was just as loud as it was the first time. Mostly wind buffeting noise.

I ordered one of Badass Tents' wind deflectors for the OEM rails and got it installed today:

Ford Bronco BadAss Tents Wind Deflector for OEM bars 1661141435236

Ford Bronco BadAss Tents Wind Deflector for OEM bars 1661141450061
Ford Bronco BadAss Tents Wind Deflector for OEM bars 1661141460873

There is still wind noise, but it has made a very nice improvement. Most of the buffeting noise is gone. I'm going to play with positioning of the platform forward and back to see if there is any difference. I'd moved it back some before I got the wind deflector to try to help the wind noise, though it didn't make much of a difference.
Maybe with it closer to the deflector there will be less turbulence and even less noise.

There's an aluminum cross bar that goes between the stock plastic caps for the oem rails. There's two brackets that attach to that crossbar and use the plastic caps mounting points with new bolts to attach. The actual deflector is then held on to the cross member with 5 bolts and rubber washers. The front (bottom) of the deflector then uses 3m double sided tape to attach to the roof just above the windshield. The roof has a curve there so using the 3M tape gets the deflector to conform to the curve. You can see it in the 2nd picture. I just put it on today and have only driven a dozen or so miles since, so can't comment on durability or how the 3m tape will hold up. But the wind noise from the platform is greatly reduced.

It's a bit pricey for a wind deflector, but it fits the Bronco perfectly where everything else would have been a generic one with poor fit, so I think it's worth it if it holds up well.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I recently put my Yakima platform back on, and it was just as loud as it was the first time. Mostly wind buffeting noise.

I ordered one of Badass Tents' wind deflectors for the OEM rails and got it installed today:

There is still wind noise, but it has made a very nice improvement. Most of the buffeting noise is gone. I'm going to play with positioning of the platform forward and back to see if there is any difference. I'd moved it back some before I got the wind deflector to try to help the wind noise, though it didn't make much of a difference.
Maybe with it closer to the deflector there will be less turbulence and even less noise.

There's an aluminum cross bar that goes between the stock plastic caps for the oem rails. There's two brackets that attach to that crossbar and use the plastic caps mounting points with new bolts to attach. The actual deflector is then held on to the cross member with 5 bolts and rubber washers. The front (bottom) of the deflector then uses 3m double sided tape to attach to the roof just above the windshield. The roof has a curve there so using the 3M tape gets the deflector to conform to the curve. You can see it in the 2nd picture. I just put it on today and have only driven a dozen or so miles since, so can't comment on durability or how the 3m tape will hold up. But the wind noise from the platform is greatly reduced.

It's a bit pricey for a wind deflector, but it fits the Bronco perfectly where everything else would have been a generic one with poor fit, so I think it's worth it if it holds up well.
Yah it looks good! I'm getting the LED Bar once our Bronco gets here. I am sure it will not help wind noise but it should look good.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks good. I have the OEM roof rack and may end up getting this.

I looked on their site, hoping they had one for Defenders but no luck. My wife's rack on her Defender is VERY loud. So much so that it makes the sun roof a moot point. Can't drive past 30mph without the noise being too much. There is a lip on in that goes down, that you cannot take off. I have looked for a way to help with this while still looking OEM. None found so far.

Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
DaveInSA

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm.. The curve at the top of the windshield where the deflector attaches with double sided tape is a good size curve. Went out to the car today and the right side had popped free and was about 1/2" off the body.. Pressed it back down and it stuck for now...
Granted it did rain the day after I installed it. Maybe the tape wasn't cured enough yet. If it happens again I'll probably have to take the whole thing off and put fresh VHB double sided tape on it maybe.
I'd made sure to clean the body and get any way off where it attaches. Did final cleaning with 90% alcohol before applying tape.
Just a thing to be aware of. Wish the deflector was already curved.

OP
OP
DaveInSA

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I gotta say.. I'm not a fan of the way the bottom edge uses double sided tape to attach to the vehicle.
Since the deflector is flat and the body is curved, there's a lot of tension on the tape on the bottom corners holding the deflector to the body.
One side on mine keeps popping up.
I've now cut off that corner tape, cleaned everything up again and then applied some 3M VHB. Hopefully it stays down.
The center and other side are stuck very well. In fact I originally wanted to remove the whole thing and replace the entire length of tape instead of just the corner, but the middle and other side are stuck so well I quickly abandoned that idea.

Hopefully the new stuff sticks. I just wish the deflector was a little pre-curved so there isn't so much tension on the corners. Would have helped if I'd purchased this earlier when we were having 103+ days :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
DaveInSA

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah so... forcing the flat deflector to bend to the shape of the roof with double sided tape, just doesn't work well.

The new tape, (3m VHB) is having the same issues as the stuff that came with it. I took the deflector off, completely cleaned up both the roof and deflector of any residue and used 90% alcohol to get any oils off and replaced all the existing tape with the new 3m vhb tape.

Same issue. The corners won't stay stuck. I wonder if the company could have heated this and curved it a little, like they do with fish tanks. At this point I'm seriously considering taking a heat gun to it to try to curve it before asking some double sided tape to hold all the pressure form forcing it to the right shape.

Or maybe I can find a hobby place with a giant oven it'll fit in to make it soft first. :)

The only instructions it came with was an exploded view drawing of it.

Asked the company if they have any tips, though to do that via their website I had to upload proof of purchase too.... Just to use a contact us form for support.

I'm considering using 3m adhesion promoter like is provided with the ford accessories like the hood deflector... if I can find a way to only buy 1 or 2 packets.

OP
OP
DaveInSA

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a note, I haven't heard anything from the company.

Not such a great experience here.

OP
OP
DaveInSA

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I removed all the existing double sided tape and cleaned up both the deflector and the roof. Then used adhesion promoter on both the deflector and the roof and applied fresh 3m VHB.
It's sticking very well now.

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I removed all the existing double sided tape and cleaned up both the deflector and the roof. Then used adhesion promoter on both the deflector and the roof and applied fresh 3m VHB.
How’s it holding up? I took mine down today as the corners were popping up. Was curious if the adhesion promoter and re-apply did the trick before i re-attempt.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a shame Yakima doesn't offer a wind deflector that mounts to the platform.

I have a Rhino-Rack platform on my Bison and was amazed how well their wind deflector mounted allowing you to follow the curve on the windshield:

Ford Bronco BadAss Tents Wind Deflector for OEM bars ng%20and%2030%20inch%20light%20bar%20close%20up-XL

And yes, I used to work for GM.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just installed my BAT Wind Deflector last night (and added the front cross bar). But first last week I installed some 3M PPF across that top strip above the windshield. I also plasti-dipped sprayed the deflector, I didn't like the shine. I did not use any alcohol prep, I just stuck the deflector down onto the PPF and it held. Before giving it a chance to pop-up I mickey-moused a way to put some weighted objects over the corners and let it sit overnight. Drove to work this morning and it's still stuck down. We'll see how it holds "down" over time. I did notice less wind noise also.

BIGJIM

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have one of these on order. Any pics of your install?

SkiRig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for these updates. I've been considering purchasing the wind deflector, and I'm hoping you had success with the adhesion promoter. Is it still holding up well?
Sponsored