Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why doesn’t someone just call Bilstein and ask? I tried to talk to the actual engineer at Super Cel, but he wasn’t available at the time. I won’t relay what the other guy said, because it may not be factual. I did actually see for myself the c-clip part though.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t believe this is the case at all. I don’t know any tires that measure larger than their “size” once mounted.

Someone will surely chime in with the manufacturer specs for both the BL tires.
Interco has a couple examples if I remember right but yeah, it's almost unheard of to run big.

Talked to the Bilstein folks at Super Cel East... the spring perches are definitely sitting on c-clips... but there is only 1 groove cut into the shock tube, so not adjustable in that way. However, a spacer between the c-clip and perch would be super easy to make.
This is big news. Here's your budget lift kit.

download (1).jpeg

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Why doesn’t someone just call Bilstein and ask? I tried to talk to the actual engineer at Super Cel, but he wasn’t available at the time. I won’t relay what the other guy said, because it may not be factual. I did actually see for myself the c-clip part though.
Because they are under NDA to Ford and will simply tell you to call Ford. 🤷‍♂️

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What was the measurement difference between the 2 vehicles from the ground to the bottom of the body under the door?

Cause thats where the obstacles will be when offroading.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@ZackDanger

If I had to hazard a guess, I bet the problem was the 0 offset wheels causing interference during turning.
[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on "intereference"?

My understanding is the full lot of OEM wheel options are positive offset (+30 to +55mm), which (again, limited understanding) brings wheels/tires inward toward the vehicle and related things that could cause interference during turning, versus a (aftermarket) zero offset wheel, which would bring wheel/tires outward away from these things, vs the OEM options.

Unless you're referring to somewhat more advanced aspect of steering geometry and how that relates to the related change in track width?

I'm only asking because after much looking (please point me to the golden thread!) I still don't know if I can fit 285/70R17 on zero offset wheels on a BASE bronco (with no other mods). And I'd really like to know!

Sponsored

Tahotrvlr

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tahotrvlr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a quick visual for you

1619269653637.gif
You mean to tell me that if the SASQ had relatively the same wheel offset as the 33"s....
that we would not have to have those hideous "flares"?????? WTF???

OK I get the gear difference
OK I get the spring difference (10mm. .3947")
Ok I get the wider rim

But to move the wheel offset when you have the room....
Absolutely ridiculous.... ZERO REASON FOR THIS:p!!!

All this.... to have a recognizably stupid look, with the "ugly ass":p oversized fender flairs.

DUMB.... DUMB.... DUMB!!!!

Thank you for sharing this info!!
-Tahotrvlr

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you elaborate on "intereference"?

My understanding is the full lot of OEM wheel options are positive offset (+30 to +55mm), which (again, limited understanding) brings wheels/tires inward toward the vehicle and related things that could cause interference during turning, versus a (aftermarket) zero offset wheel, which would bring wheel/tires outward away from these things, vs the OEM options.

Unless you're referring to somewhat more advanced aspect of steering geometry and how that relates to the related change in track width?

I'm only asking because after much looking (please point me to the golden thread!) I still don't know if I can fit 285/70R17 on zero offset wheels on a BASE bronco (with no other mods). And I'd really like to know!
Okay, so there are basically three different interference problems we are potentially facing, and we don’t have answers yet because we don‘t actually have our hands on Broncos.… everything we know is from measurements forum members have taken during events, published specs from Ford, and statements made by Ford representatives.

Here they are:

1. Upper Control Arm - This interference Is the reason for the different wheel offsets on the OEM wheels. The Base-BL all have +55mm offset. As soon as you squatch, and move to the wider (315) tire, the offset from Ford goes to +30. It seems that the UCA is the point of contention here. In this regard, anything pushed further out (like your 0 offset) will clear this issue fine. The problem would be for people looking to upgrade to the wider 35” tires on the +55 offset wheels. They would also need to account for the increased offset needed.

Here is the master thread on that: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-close-to-max-size-after-ranger-testing.9432/

2. Interference during suspension compression - This is why the Sasquatched models are said to include a larger bumpstop. With the taller 35” tire, even with the sas suspension, at full suspension compression it sounds like the top of the tire would come into contact with the inside of the fender well. To prevent this from happening, it is believed that Ford has added larger bump stops on the sas. For people who have a Baes-OB, with removal of the crash bars, it would seem like larger tires will fit without a lift in a “stuffed” look. The question we have yet to answer is, at what point will those larger tires come into contact with the inside of the wheel wells. Is it close to full compression? Or is it closer to half? We don’t have the measurements we need to be able to figure this out right now. This will probably take trial-and-error by actual Bronco owners for us to know for sure.

3. Interference during steering - When you push wheels out from the vehicle with a larger offset, you are increasing the radius of each wheels arc during turning. We know for sure that there is no interference with 315/35” tires on +30mm offset… but if you push the wheels out farther than that, there very well may be something inside the wheel well that the tire will come into contact with while turning. Just like problem #2, we don’t have what we need to be able to say as of now, where the limits of this are. Along these lines, we don’t know if any potential interference will be because of the width of the tire, or the diameter of the tire… trial-and-error again here. We’re going to have to be the guinea pigs on this. (Or at least someone will need to… maybe some aftermarket company will share their findings.)

It is this problem here that I suspect was at least part of the problem with the overland build. Those tires were *stuffed*… not sure if it was suspension or the weight of the vehicle, but the people who built it reported rubbing…. And that thing was driven painfully slowly during the events, always with really wide turns. I suspect that at least part of the problem was intereference while steering, and I have no idea if it was the 0 offset alone, or whether it was a combination of that and how stuffed/compressed it was in general.

So, to answer your question about whether 285/70r17 tires will fit your base with 0 offset wheels.… we just don’t know. My gut says that you will be able to physically install that combo on a Base… but we just don’t have enough information yet to know what the result will be when you go to drive around. I think it’s safe to assume there will be some interference at some point within the suspension and steering travel… but we dont know where or to what extent. What we do know is that Ford does not include 0 offset with any of the trim models, and the vehicle we do know that had 0 offset was reported to have interference.

(Side note: Fifteen52 seems to be committed to 0 offset wheels for the Bronco at this point. I have no idea whether this is based on some knowledge that they have and aren’t sharing, or whether they’re just going with it. In their threads here, from what I’ve seen thus far, it seemed to me like it was the latter.)

In summation: We just don’t know. If you want to spend the money and report back with your findings, there are plenty of other people who would appreciate the intel… but if I were you, I would be pumping the brakes a bit before I broke out my wallet…. And in the very least, tempering my expectations.

$0.02

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean to tell me that if the SASQ had relatively the same wheel offset as the 33"s....
that we would not have to have those hideous "flares"?????? WTF???

OK I get the gear difference
OK I get the spring difference (10mm. .3947")
Ok I get the wider rim

But to move the wheel offset when you have the room....
Absolutely ridiculous.... ZERO REASON FOR THIS:p!!!

All this.... to have a recognizably stupid look, with the "ugly ass":p oversized fender flairs.

DUMB.... DUMB.... DUMB!!!!

Thank you for sharing this info!!
-Tahotrvlr
Check out this thread:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-close-to-max-size-after-ranger-testing.9432/

From these CAD drawings, it seems that a 315 width (35”) tire, on the standard +55mm offset, would interfere with the Upper Control Arms. You need the 30mm offset to clear the wider tires on Sasquatch.

That offset in turn pushes the edge of the tire outside of the standard fender flares (we have pictures of what this looks like on the forum), so Ford includes wider fender flares to comply with all 50 state law, some of which require tires to be completely covered by the fender/flares.

Tahotrvlr

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tahotrvlr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They should have NOT gone with a wider rim=wider tire. (Taller tire YES!!! wider NO!!!)
Problem solved.

Everything would have stayed the same as the 33" (minus the bump stop).

Zack (defender of all things Ford), I ordered the SASQ package.... I wanted the gears, and suspension for the 35" tires... most importantly I wanted the "top of the line" bronco where the SAS package would be reflected in the VIN number.

However, the only thing that has been gnawing at me with the SASQ was the "ugly ass" wide fender flares.

From prototype forward, the wide fender flares just plain look stupid (IMO).

So... I will more than likely.... purchase a thinner rim with the correct wheel offset and a set of 35" KO's ( 33" or 35" 70 series which are the exact same width ...12" width on 10" rims) .
And yes, I will replace the hideous flares with the appropriate ones. Do I care if someone thinks I'm making a mistake...NO!!! Am I going to sell my stock SASQ stuff.... NO!!!

Will I look like a goofball driving down the road...NO!!

Like I said... problem solved.

Tread Depth (in 32nds) 151

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They should have NOT gone with a wider rim/wider tire. Taller tire YES!!!
Problem solved.

If you think I spend too much time here, you should see how much time I’ve spent trying to find taller, but not wider, tires for my Jeep.

After much searching and trying lots of different combos, the best I was able to settle on was 285/75R17…. Which is basically just a 34”…. and there are only a handful of those.

I’d love a 35x11.5 or something, but there really aren’t many options out there.… and none for my use case.

…that said, us pizza cutter people are the minority. Most people want the wider 315 / 12.5” width tires... and it’s what’s readily available out there.

*shrug*

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They should have NOT gone with a wider rim/wider tire. (Taller tire YES!!! wider NO!!!)
Problem solved.

No sure what the "problem" is that you want solved. They wanted to advertise 35s (nominal) and people want 35s. That required multiple changes, including more lift, which is absolutely there...and changed offset. No one would have wanted even less space between fender and tire if they didn't lift it more, and they certainly wouldn't have wanted less uptravel with bigger stops.

Ford did solve the "problem" by making one lift for 35s...and one lift for 33s....like there should be.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you think I spend too much time here, you should see how much time I’ve spent trying to find taller, but not wider, tires for my Jeep.

After much searching and trying lots of different combos, the best I was able to settle on was 285/75R17…. Which is basically just a 34”…. and there are only a handful of those.

I’d love a 35x11.5 or something, but there really aren’t many options out there.… and none for my use case.

…that said, us pizza cutter people are the minority. Most people want the wider 315 / 12.5” width tires... and it’s what’s readily available out there.

*shrug*
Same camp over here with the 285/75r17's

I don't want a 315 or 12.5 tires for snow there is a 305/70 as a slight compromise but is it really?

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was talking to that rep this morning and my gf asked “are you used to all these questions?” To which she said “yeah we even had a guy climb under the truck yesterday for photos” 😂

If anyone is looking at them on Long Island these are the ones you’ll be seeing. Posted my own thread with them.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ZackDanger - once my 33" KO2s wear out, I plan to keep the optional beadlock wheels but I'd like to get a bigger tire that fits them. For the 285/75R17 tires, are looking to stay with KO2s or going with something different?
Sponsored