Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ZackDanger - once my 33" KO2s wear out, I plan to keep the optional beadlock wheels but I'd like to get a bigger tire that fits them. For the 285/75R17 tires, are looking to stay with KO2s or going with something different?
I have the Cooper AT3 XLT in 285/75R17 on my Jeep and I’ve been very happy with them. The only down side is they’re a load range E

We’ve already started seeing more tires available in that size in general, and I hope manufacturers keep it up with C and D rated… or even dare I say, an SL for all the Wrangler and now Bronco people out there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI the exact same KO tire ford sell's on their 33" KO tire (70 series) comes in a 35" version.
Had Ford not changed the wheel/tire width to 12" there would not have been any issues... they are both (KO tires 33's and 35") exactly the same width. (12" wide on a 10" rim) (8.5" to 11" rims)
Both the 33's KO and 35's KO both share the same rim size.
What am I reading?

I have to imagine you have next to zero knowledge of what the numbers on the side of the tire means. 😬

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see there was some cleaning up in here...

Regardless of that, can we just agree that 70 in 285/70r17 doesn't designate a "series" and that it's actually an aspect ratio of the of the width that equals the height?

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everything looks better with those BFG KO2s... If they were a larger company and could supply the entire Bronco range, I'm sure they would have been chosen as the standard tire.
The sidewall looks ok, tread though, woof. I for one am happy that they are not our only option as I do not want them.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Proven performance or something that looks "tough" 🤔🤔🤔
Proven mediocre performance. I’ve had a couple sets. The KO2 is decent. It’s a good solid all a rounder choice....but long in the tooth as a design and there are better ones out there. I much prefer that we are getting a new design that may be better. Maybe it isn’t, but it looks pretty good and looks better than basically a 20 year old design with KO/KO2. KO would have been a safe pic...but I’m glad they are shooting for more.

Burnsy949

Badlands
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2018 Volkswagen Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Cooper AT3 XLT in 285/75R17 on my Jeep and I’ve been very happy with them. The only down side is they’re a load range E

We’ve already started seeing more tires available in that size in general, and I hope manufacturers keep it up with C and D rated…
I have the same size on my JK Rubicon Unlimited. I love them. More than 1” narrower than a 35 x 12.5 and only about 1/2 inch less ground clearance. I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers and love them. They come in load range C also.

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes the Nitto Ridge Grapplers are awesome tires and they look and perform better than the Goodyears too!!! I have them on my excursion and after all the complements I was getting I started asking other people that have them on there various 4X4's and they all Love them with no complaints anything from jeeps to F350's so I am thinking I will Swap them asap

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Okay, so there are basically three different interference problems we are potentially facing, and we don’t have answers yet because we don‘t actually have our hands on Broncos.… everything we know is from measurements forum members have taken during events, published specs from Ford, and statements made by Ford representatives.

Here they are:

1. Upper Control Arm - This interference Is the reason for the different wheel offsets on the OEM wheels. The Base-BL all have +55mm offset. As soon as you squatch, and move to the wider (315) tire, the offset from Ford goes to +30. It seems that the UCA is the point of contention here. In this regard, anything pushed further out (like your 0 offset) will clear this issue fine. The problem would be for people looking to upgrade to the wider 35” tires on the +55 offset wheels. They would also need to account for the increased offset needed.

Here is the master thread on that: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-close-to-max-size-after-ranger-testing.9432/

2. Interference during suspension compression - This is why the Sasquatched models are said to include a larger bumpstop. With the taller 35” tire, even with the sas suspension, at full suspension compression it sounds like the top of the tire would come into contact with the inside of the fender well. To prevent this from happening, it is believed that Ford has added larger bump stops on the sas. For people who have a Baes-OB, with removal of the crash bars, it would seem like larger tires will fit without a lift in a “stuffed” look. The question we have yet to answer is, at what point will those larger tires come into contact with the inside of the wheel wells. Is it close to full compression? Or is it closer to half? We don’t have the measurements we need to be able to figure this out right now. This will probably take trial-and-error by actual Bronco owners for us to know for sure.

3. Interference during steering - When you push wheels out from the vehicle with a larger offset, you are increasing the radius of each wheels arc during turning. We know for sure that there is no interference with 315/35” tires on +30mm offset… but if you push the wheels out farther than that, there very well may be something inside the wheel well that the tire will come into contact with while turning. Just like problem #2, we don’t have what we need to be able to say as of now, where the limits of this are. Along these lines, we don’t know if any potential interference will be because of the width of the tire, or the diameter of the tire… trial-and-error again here. We’re going to have to be the guinea pigs on this. (Or at least someone will need to… maybe some aftermarket company will share their findings.)

It is this problem here that I suspect was at least part of the problem with the overland build. Those tires were *stuffed*… not sure if it was suspension or the weight of the vehicle, but the people who built it reported rubbing…. And that thing was driven painfully slowly during the events, always with really wide turns. I suspect that at least part of the problem was intereference while steering, and I have no idea if it was the 0 offset alone, or whether it was a combination of that and how stuffed/compressed it was in general.

So, to answer your question about whether 285/70r17 tires will fit your base with 0 offset wheels.… we just don’t know. My gut says that you will be able to physically install that combo on a Base… but we just don’t have enough information yet to know what the result will be when you go to drive around. I think it’s safe to assume there will be some interference at some point within the suspension and steering travel… but we dont know where or to what extent. What we do know is that Ford does not include 0 offset with any of the trim models, and the vehicle we do know that had 0 offset was reported to have interference.

(Side note: Fifteen52 seems to be committed to 0 offset wheels for the Bronco at this point. I have no idea whether this is based on some knowledge that they have and aren’t sharing, or whether they’re just going with it. In their threads here, from what I’ve seen thus far, it seemed to me like it was the latter.)

In summation: We just don’t know. If you want to spend the money and report back with your findings, there are plenty of other people who would appreciate the intel… but if I were you, I would be pumping the brakes a bit before I broke out my wallet…. And in the very least, tempering my expectations.

$0.02
Zack, here is a long lost thread from @TeocaliMG a Ford chassis engineer, he brings great understading to the subject of lift and travel.
Short term I will throw on some 35's with no lift, just removing the crash bars if they cause and issue. I know it may not look as "cool" as the sasquatch but having more downtravel than uptravel will let the IFS flex better (that's what SFA does afterall) and it obviously still handles speed very well!
To keep it very brief, there is no single ideal ride height for a given suspension travel. A good benchmark would be to sit at the middle of your travel, even at high speed because you need both jounce and rebound budget for undulating terrain. Most "lifts" just jack the ride height up within the same wheel travel. This lets you run bigger tires and have more ground clearance but it also effectively limits your wheel travel unless you have very linear springs because it will be much harder to compress through all the rebound and take advantage of your maximum flex possible. The Bronco is cool because its coming from the factory with very good tire package with the suspension at mid sag, or around the middle of the travel. If you want an IFS rig to flex more, aside from disconnecting the sway bar it is good to trade jounce travel with rebound. As others have pointed out that's one of the benefits to SFA in most set ups. I was pointing out that the overland rig with true 35's sitting right at the middle of its travel will flex better than a more jacked up rig with a bit more clearance. Of course there is no perfect set up, it will always depend on the obstacles.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

We’ve already started seeing more tires available in that size in general, and I hope manufacturers keep it up with C and D rated…
Yeah, the 295/70R17 Duratracs only come in E rated. Like the size. There is a definite difference in ride quality and tire wander over the D rated 285/70s.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same size on my JK Rubicon Unlimited. I love them. More than 1” narrower than a 35 x 12.5 and only about 1/2 inch less ground clearance. I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers and love them. They come in load range C also.
I’ve never tried the Ridge Grapplers. I understand people love them, but being in New England, and those tires not being Three Peak, I’ve not even bothered.

My experience with other mud terrain type tires in freezing weather with slush and snow haven’t been worth it when there are already better options out there.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes the Nitto Ridge Grapplers are awesome tires and they look and perform better than the Goodyears too!!! I have them on my excursion and after all the complements I was getting I started asking other people that have them on there various 4X4's and they all Love them with no complaints anything from jeeps to F350's so I am thinking I will Swap them asap
Open minded here, because I know they are the favorite of many. How noisy are they? Especially after 25k miles?
How good are they in the rain and the snow?

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Proven mediocre performance. I’ve had a couple sets. The KO2 is decent. It’s a good solid all a rounder choice....but long in the tooth as a design and there are better ones out there. I much prefer that we are getting a new design that may be better. Maybe it isn’t, but it looks pretty good and looks better than basically a 20 year old design with KO/KO2. KO would have been a safe pic...but I’m glad they are shooting for more.
Mediocre as in 45 years of wins and podiums? 🤔

Ford Bronco Badlands 33" vs Sasquatch Stance Shots + Suspension Parts Numbers 1620308682680

Burnsy949

Badlands
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2018 Volkswagen Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Open minded here, because I know they are the favorite of many. How noisy are they? Especially after 25k miles?
How good are they in the rain and the snow?
I find them extremely quiet on the road. Much much quieter than the BFG MTs that came stock on my Rubicon and much quieter than the Trail Grapplers. I have a friend with the Trail Grapplers and he hates driving his Jeep on the freeway. Mine is awesome. I don’t have 25k miles on mine yet (only about 15k) but they do everything I need them to. I have used them in deep snow in the Sierras and in Utah and in some heavy rain, but I do live in California so keep that in mind. They do great on the trail too.
Just went to Sedona and not only did they handle the 8 hour freeway drive with the whole family (quiet and comfortable ride) but they got me through many of the trails (including Broken Arrow) without a hitch. Mix of slick rock, cobble and dirt. My friend with the Trail Grapplers wouldn’t even drive his Jeep to Sedona because his Jeep is too loud! (Talk about defeating the purpose of having a Jeep!). So he drove his other car out there and rode in my Jeep on the trails!

I often tow my Adventure Trailer Horizon with my Jeep on some pretty difficult trails and have never had an issue with them.

Last edited: