Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just ordered my Badlands non-SAS back in March with a 5/26 production date but have a question on the fact that it will not have a Sport Mode. Im out in Moab now and did the Off-Roadeo Friday -which was fabulous by the way. In the National Parks there are many paved, winding mountain roads …what’s the best mode to be in for this type of driving? My other car is a small SUV and dropping that into Sport would stick those with no issue. We used Baja mode during Off-Roadeo which was awesome, but with the hard shifts at 4500-5000 rpm that’s not really what I’m looking for. Thoughts?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Baja mode, and then turn the transfer case to 4-Auto (if memory serves... by default it is set to 4-High).

Or you can just turn on Sport mode via Forscan.

OP
OP
GAN

GAN

Badlands
First Name
Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Baja mode, and then turn the transfer case to 4-Auto (if memory serves... by default it is set to 4-High).

Or you can just turn on Sport mode via Forscan.
Okay I’ll give that a try today. I’ve got a Badlands SAS while out here that I rented off Turo so I’ll see how that goes. But when I eventually get mine, I’ll probably look to add the Sport via Forscan. Thank you for the tip!

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have a badlands. Whenever I need that thrill, I switch to economy mode for a tank of gas, then go back to normal mode. I've heard of people doing the forscan trick to add sport mode, but I've also heard it sometimes throws error codes as well or something like that. Enough that some have had to remove sport mode(not sure if it was user error).

Was talking to a guy about it and he said he'd never get a bronco because he likes driving fast too much(he was all about the Honda Genesis or something like that). I told him that's fine, I don't need to drive fast, just wherever I want.

Reactions: GAN
OP
OP
GAN

GAN

Badlands
First Name
Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not necessarily looking for a thrill …throttle response -sure. But the main purpose would be for the steering and handling benefits.

Sponsored

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I knew goat mades changed throttle control and trans shift points. I was unaware it also changes steering and handling. I may have to look into this further for myself...

I'd imagine much like early 90's turbo lag, if you drive it long enough, your conform to the vehicle. I came from a 92 Toyota pickup, so bronco has plenty of pep, but I also do some... 'spirited driving' on occasion. I was not prepared for the fifteen feet of body roll on the SAS suspension. After driving the bronco for 8 months, everything doesn't fly to either side of the vehicle anymore on turns.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have activated sport mode on my own BL and several others via forscan, and it did not create any errors. Remember to clear all codes after you are done (sometimes codes get set during the write process because the module has to go offline briefly). Also have found Baha mode/2hi/rear locker on to be a fun mode for dirt roads!

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would put sport mode on with forscan. I have baja on a black diamond and I think baja holds the shift points longer than sport. To me its a bit too agressive for street driving in 2h, off pavement is another story.

Mattyfly42

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 door 2.3L MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a pedal commander and the ford performance tune. That is my sport mode. Also wondering if it's worth forscaning sport mode if I already have those mods if it would make a difference. Can anybody chime in on that?

OP
OP
GAN

GAN

Badlands
First Name
Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would put sport mode on with forscan. I have baja on a black diamond and I think baja holds the shift points longer than sport. To me its a bit too agressive for street driving in 2h, off pavement is another story.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. But fun as all hell on dirt roads!

Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just ordered my Badlands non-SAS back in March with a 5/26 production date but have a question on the fact that it will not have a Sport Mode. Im out in Moab now and did the Off-Roadeo Friday -which was fabulous by the way. In the National Parks there are many paved, winding mountain roads …what’s the best mode to be in for this type of driving? My other car is a small SUV and dropping that into Sport would stick those with no issue. We used Baja mode during Off-Roadeo which was awesome, but with the hard shifts at 4500-5000 rpm that’s not really what I’m looking for. Thoughts?
As you correctly stated, there is no Sport mode with the Badlands model. As long as you run premium fuel in your Badlands, Normal mode will provide you with all the pep you need to easily handle winding, mountain roads.
Or, as some have alluded to, you could go into Forscan and change the settings to give your Badlands a Sport mode.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a pedal commander and the ford performance tune. That is my sport mode. Also wondering if it's worth forscaning sport mode if I already have those mods if it would make a difference. Can anybody chime in on that?
Biggest thing w/sport mode is the change in AT shift points...mine is a MT, so sport mode does virtually nothing for me, but the AT guys all love it. Not sure how pedal commander fits into the equation...I have one of those too, but rarely use it (MT), and IDK if it also alters the shift points on an AT, or just the throttle mapping...but I can tell you the #1 feedback from everybody who wants sport mode unlocked, is AT shifting is so much better. Couldn't tell you if the FP tune alters AT strategy either, but I do know that improved AT shift strategy can make an automatic trans vehicle feel so much better...even going back to the days of shift kits we used to put in "dumb automatics". Just my opinion, but I believe the love we see for sport mode comes mainly from the auto trans strategy built into it...people just love the way they set it up for AT!

OP
OP
GAN

GAN

Badlands
First Name
Gan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay thanks all for the info! So if I’m understanding correctly, Bronco Sport Mode will only impact throttle response. Not, like some vehicles with active suspensions that can change the stiffness of their dampers causing the body to roll and bounce less. Some also change the amount of assistance from the power steering system in Sport, making the steering wheel feel heavier and the car more substantive — or even change the steering ratio, so every degree of turn has a greater effect. Good to know 👍

Mattyfly42

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 door 2.3L MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Biggest thing w/sport mode is the change in AT shift points...mine is a MT, so sport mode does virtually nothing for me, but the AT guys all love it. Not sure how pedal commander fits into the equation...I have one of those too, but rarely use it (MT), and IDK if it also alters the shift points on an AT, or just the throttle mapping...but I can tell you the #1 feedback from everybody who wants sport mode unlocked, is AT shifting is so much better. Couldn't tell you if the FP tune alters AT strategy either, but I do know that improved AT shift strategy can make an automatic trans vehicle feel so much better...even going back to the days of shift kits we used to put in "dumb automatics". Just my opinion, but I believe the love we see for sport mode comes mainly from the auto trans strategy built into it...people just love the way they set it up for AT!
Yeah. I have the MT so don't really see the need to start messing with sport mode. Can't imagine it any better the I have it set up.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah. I have the MT so don't really see the need to start messing with sport mode. Can't imagine it any better the I have it set up.
Ya I have it enabled on mine, and I have FP tune and pedal commander and it's like "so what?" Probably you wont notice a difference then
Sponsored