Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg & Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question- Just went to delete to get first free oil change. Manual says at 10k or 1 year. Coincidentally, the oil “smart” monitoring system notified me of the need for an oil change at 7,500 which was almost exactly 1 year since delivery. Question- is this “smart/intelligent” oil monitoring system really monitoring oil life or is programmed more so as a calendar reminder? Some mechanics who service our other car (Porsche Cayenne) says perform maintenance based on mileage and disregard the length of time.

Appreciate some feedback on thoughts on the Bronco Intelligent Oil System monitor and going forward whether to follow it or purely on mileage. BTW, to date, my driving is 98% around town driving and 2% off road. Wish it was reversed after attending the Bronco Off-Rodeo in Las Vegas…the Badlands 2.7 performed awesome!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It monitors a handful of system parameters… idle time, mileage, operating temperature, calendar date, etc etc. The fallback seems to be 1 year. So if you don’t put many miles on your vehicle and drive it otherwise “ideal” conditions it’ll tell you to change the oil 1 year after the last reset.

It’s definitely more than just a calendar reminder or mileage tracker. On my wife’s Escape, for example, it’ll tell her to change it after roughly 4000 miles since she spends so much time idling (wish she wouldn’t but… it is what it is).

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
People get pretty worked up about oil change intervals. It's one of those things where we're all invested in our own decisions and bias. I have to admit, I thought I knew a lot more than I really did (or a bunch of people on the internet) apparently, it was costly but not a Ford engine. My current take is this, all engines are different (brands), our environments are different, our driving habits are different. One engine manufacturer might have a coating that does better with one brand of oil's additive, another won't. You might find other factors affect how well the oil performs, like idling time or climate. So if you're somebody that wants to do the best possible thing for YOUR vehicle, when doing the oil change interval that you think is right, take a sample (or have the tech take the sample). Send your oil off to Blackstone labs.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

The test kit is free. For $35 you will learn if what you're doing is healthy for YOUR engine. You'll know if 7500 is causing excessive wear, even if the app says you're good. Or you'll find out if you're wasting money by changing too early. There are a lot of people who's opinion I do respect on the forums, but ultimately, there's too many variables in my opinion if you're trying to make decisions for 200k down the road.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People get pretty worked up about oil change intervals. It's one of those things where we're all invested in our own decisions and bias. I have to admit, I thought I knew a lot more than I really did (or a bunch of people on the internet) apparently, it was costly but not a Ford engine. My current take is this, all engines are different (brands), our environments are different, our driving habits are different. One engine manufacturer might have a coating that does better with one brand of oil's additive, another won't. You might find other factors affect how well the oil performs, like idling time or climate. So if you're somebody that wants to do the best possible thing for YOUR vehicle, when doing the oil change interval that you think is right, take a sample (or have the tech take the sample). Send your oil off to Blackstone labs.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

The test kit is free. For $35 you will learn if what you're doing is healthy for YOUR engine. You'll know if 7500 is causing excessive wear, even if the app says you're good. Or you'll find out if you're wasting money by changing too early. There are a lot of people who's opinion I do respect on the forums, but ultimately, there's too many variables in my opinion if you're trying to make decisions for 200k down the road.
I’m going to do the first oil change at 1500. Thereafter I will consistently change the oil between 3-4K

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm old school and know my bias/habits may not apply to modern engines.... but I also did a post break in change, having not heard of any downside (and had a couple free change coupons from the dealer). I didn't read much here on the forums before doing that. But I wasn't aware of any attributes about the engine that the break in oil should be in there longer. So, I went with it. I plan to do 4k and change/test. I do a lot of city driving and idling, I've always had fuel dilution long before the additives were gone in my other cars. I plan to start there and extend if the test looks good. Then, probably at 36,000ish miles, I'll do one more sample/test. I tend to own my cars for 10-15 years, so it could pay off down the road. But, I truly believe I could just use the oil app and still have a reliable vehicle to 120-150k, or more. I wouldnt try to talk anybody out of what they've decided, unless I had personal experience otherwise.
Sponsored