Sponsored

badlands standard 33s? Too thin for the beach?

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
During the first major demos of the bronco out at king of the hammers they kept mentioning that they didnt really even have to air down the tires for the loose sand part. Im going to be on a beach most of the time and im basically priced into the standard 33's

Is it because of the tire width that they said this? I dont fully remember what they were driving but im assuming it was a squatch
Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
285s are plenty wide for sand. If they don't work for you with all the driving aids it will be because of driving style.

Sure big and wide floatation tires are fun. They're just rarely necessary.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I routinely witness everyday SUV vehicles drive on the beach. Requirements never mention tire size.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've driven on sand dunes with much smaller tires.

In the event it's really soft/loose sand, the best performance improvement comes from simply airing way down.

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Airing down tires for driving in sand is to make them longer, not wider. The width increase when you air down a tire is practically negligible, especially when you consider the extra width is really coming from bulging sidewalls that have 0 tread and are riding the sand at an angle.

Many people PREFER skinny tires for beach driving. Others just say width is meaningless, wide or skinny don't matter. Don't know anyone who thinks wide tires for sand are better.
Sponsored