R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can we talk a little about the difference between 4.46 gears and 4.7 (i.e. pros and cons).

I am still confused about the main differences. (talking automatic here btw)

Is it mainly that on the lower end, the 4.7 will be able to roll at lower speeds?
For the automatic, the axle gears are selected to match the tires. They are not arbitrary.

4.46 gears w/33" is an exact match to 4.7 gears w/35". So the transmission/ABS/traction performance tuning is identical. They use 4.27 for 32" and 3.73 for 30" which is also similar overall. If you change tire size without changing the gears, you may impact the overall performance and driveability (although usually not an issue for modest changes).

They put 4.7 on the manual badlands to give the competitive crawl ratio. There is minimal tuning impact, since shifting is not computer-controlled.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tekno MT410
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the automatic, the axle gears are selected to match the tires. They are not arbitrary.

4.46 gears w/33" is an exact match to 4.7 gears w/35". So the transmission/ABS/traction performance tuning is identical. They use 4.27 for 32" and 3.73 for 30" which is also similar overall. If you change tire size without changing the gears, you may impact the overall performance and driveability (although usually not an issue for modest changes).

They put 4.7 on the manual badlands to give the competitive crawl ratio. There is minimal tuning impact, since shifting is not computer-controlled.
What's the impact of a 4.7 gear ratio with 33's?

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the impact of a 4.7 gear ratio with 33's?
Quicker acceleration but it will rev higher on the highway. I like it because when I put 35" tires on it, it will have enough gear to move them.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Quicker acceleration but it will rev higher on the highway. I like it because when I put 35" tires on it, it will have enough gear to move them.
How much mpg do you think you will loose running that way, 1-2mpg, 3-5mpg?

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guess would be 1-2 mpg but it's just a guess. I have the optional 3.73 gear in my Mustang GT and I get about 2 mpg less on the highway than advertised.

But it's much more fun to drive.

Sponsored

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was curious myself but I also know I'm not buying a vehicle with MPG as a parameter for my decision... However, I found an interesting article on this matter.

The Badlands 2.7 automatic with 33" tires has a final drive ratio of 4.46:1 and the 2.7 automatic with 35" tires has a final drive ratio of 4.7:1. With this in mind, they both equate to the same crawl ratio so the only difference is tire size. If all parameters are the same based on their respective tire size specifically to gearing ratio, the smaller tire has less rolling resistance.

https://itstillruns.com/effects-tire-size-6326061.html

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Badlands 2.7 automatic with 33" tires has a final drive ratio of 4.46:1 and the 2.7 automatic with 35" tires has a final drive ratio of 4.7:1. With this in mind, they both equate to the same crawl ratio so the only difference is tire size
Agree. Those should warrant the same rpm/highway speed, but yeah, the 35's should add more weight and road resistance.

It's the unique combination of Badlands 2.3T and 7-speed manual with 33's that gives you the 4.7 gear ratio. Will be nice if/when I upgrade to 35's

RichZ34

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda Miata Club
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the first edition reserved. Since they doubled allocations I’m probably gonna drop down to the badlands. I plan on the 2in lift and 37s with methods the first week I have it so Im thinking of avoiding the squatch package
I wonder how many of the people that have FE’s reserved will “step down” when the order is finally placed. I was disappointed that I reserved the BL instead of the FE until I saw that the only interior option for the FE is that terrible Navy pier stuff. Of course, if they decide to allow FE’s with any color interior, I will be disappointed again. Lol.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered a BadSquatch, however at the time I didn't realize the crawl ratio was so much lower compared to the manual so I am starting to (almost) regret my decision. I have always driven manuals in the past (at least for the past 20 or so years), including manual Jeeps. However, as I am getting a little bit older, and with the woman still refusing to learn a manual, the automatic seemed like a better choice. That said, having never off-roaded in an automatic transmission, I am curious how much of an advantage that insanely high crawler gear ratio really buys you.

I don't do any super sketchy rock crawling or anything (especially wouldn't be doing that in a $60k brand new bronco. At worst I would be doing trails like Black Bear Pass (Colorado) and stuff like that. It seems to be the BadSquatch is more than capable enough for that sort of thing. Please, somebody make me feel better about my decision! haha!

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered a BadSquatch, however at the time I didn't realize the crawl ratio was so much lower compared to the manual so I am starting to (almost) regret my decision. I have always driven manuals in the past (at least for the past 20 or so years), including manual Jeeps. However, as I am getting a little bit older, and with the woman still refusing to learn a manual, the automatic seemed like a better choice. That said, having never off-roaded in an automatic transmission, I am curious how much of an advantage that insanely high crawler gear ratio really buys you.

I don't do any super sketchy rock crawling or anything (especially wouldn't be doing that in a $60k brand new bronco. At worst I would be doing trails like Black Bear Pass (Colorado) and stuff like that. It seems to be the BadSquatch is more than capable enough for that sort of thing. Please, somebody make me feel better about my decision! haha!
I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, the manual crawl ratio is a crazy 94-1. The 2.7L auto is 68-1 which is still really good. The Jeep Rubicon is 84-1 but the new 392 v8 Jeep is only 48-1. Don't think we have to worry. And besides, on that one steep right hand turn on Black Bear, you can always use your Trail Turn Assist. No problemo!

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And besides, on that one steep right hand turn on Black Bear, you can always use your Trail Turn Assist. No problemo!
Yes, the Trail Turn Assist (TTA) feature should help with the tight switchbacks on Black Bear Pass.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, the Trail Turn Assist (TTA) feature should help with the tight switchbacks on Black Bear Pass.
Those switch backs coming down into Telluride always sketched the hell out of me. Seen so many vehicles lose their breaks on those and take a tumble over the years. There was even one quite recently in a jeep. Those switchbacks were the VERY first thing I thought about when reading/watching videos about the trail turn assist feature.

Last edited:

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, the manual crawl ratio is a crazy 94-1. The 2.7L auto is 68-1 which is still really good. The Jeep Rubicon is 84-1 but the new 392 v8 Jeep is only 48-1. Don't think we have to worry. And besides, on that one steep right hand turn on Black Bear, you can always use your Trail Turn Assist. No problemo!
Yea that was my thought as well I just wanted to hear it from somebody else haha! Granted, 68:1 is still better than any other rig I have owned, and I have never owned a Rubicon, or driven one on anything that I think would truly warrant the use of that crawler gear for that matter. I just hope the automatic can stand up to the abuse!

Reactions: Wyo

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Those switch backs coming down into Telluride always sketched the hell out of me. Seen so many vehicles lose their breaks on those and take a tumble over the years. There was even one quite recently in a jeep. Those switchbacks were the VERY first thing I thought about when reading/watching videos about the trail turn assist feature.
My recommendation is that you practice extensively before trying TTA on BBP. TTA is not a completely controlled manuevering feature, more designed for sand donuts, or maybe tight turns around obtacles trees and such) on level ground. I be amazed if Ford would recommend using TTA on tight switchbacks with 1000' dropoffs. But by all means give it a shot, let me know how it works out...

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I honestly dont feel that the TTA will come in handy at least on the first few switchbacks of BBP.

my wife ran BBP in her GC trailhawk and Ive done it in my giant f150. Both have the hill descent option in 4low, higher gearing than the Broncos will and both did great so I dont think you should be concerned with your selection.
Sponsored