Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like a lot of you I go back and forth between models on the Build and Price.
From my latest calculations a Badlands is the way for me to go:
If I build a Black Diamond with mid package, 2.7 auto I come out around $48000.
My Badlands build is $54,400 with 2.7, auto, 33's, and the high package.

The BD is missing:
The Bilstein shocks. I could put some 2.5" Fox on it for probably $4000
I am also missing the 33's. $1250 (I could probably sell the OEM 32's for 300-400)
I have no front locker and the lighter front diff.
I have no stabar disco.

So 48k+4k+900(tires)= 52,900 vs 54400 for the Badlands. So for $1600 I get the heavier front diff with front locker, stabar disconnect as well as the 360 degree camera system... Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

Last time I did this calculation I didn't take into account that I would have to add (good) shocks to get the same ride quality as the BL. Since we intend to take ours off road extensively the ride quality is extremely important. as is the heavier front diff/front locker. The stabar disconnect is not necessary as I could manually disconnect it but would be a great convenience..

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you plan on taking it off road a lot and are not going to be doing any towing then BL is likely a better plan than BD + a bunch of aftermarket work getting you not quite the same effect for only slightly less money.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like a lot of you I go back and forth between models on the Build and Price.
From my latest calculations a Badlands is the way for me to go:
If I build a Black Diamond with mid package, 2.7 auto I come out around $48000.
My Badlands build is $54,400 with 2.7, auto, 33's, and the high package.

The BD is missing:
The Bilstein shocks. I could put some 2.5" Fox on it for probably $4000
I am also missing the 33's. $1250 (I could probably sell the OEM 32's for 300-400)
I have no front locker and the lighter front diff.
I have no stabar disco.

So 48k+4k+900(tires)= 52,900 vs 54400 for the Badlands. So for $1600 I get the heavier front diff with front locker, stabar disconnect as well as the 360 degree camera system... Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

Last time I did this calculation I didn't take into account that I would have to add (good) shocks to get the same ride quality as the BL. Since we intend to take ours off road extensively the ride quality is extremely important. as is the heavier front diff/front locker. The stabar disconnect is not necessary as I could manually disconnect it but would be a great convenience..

Thoughts?
If your assumption is that the BD will not perform well and you conclude that you must turn the BD into a BL via retrofitting, then just buy the BL to begin with.

I don't necessarily agree with your assumption, but that is your business.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am willing to bet you wouldn't notice a difference in the ride from the stock shocks to the $4,000 upgrade.

But its your money.
If the stock shocks on the BD are as crappy as the stock shocks on my Ford trucks were, it would be a heck of a difference. I also put Fox RC2's on my Polaris General- WAY better than stock..

Sponsored
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your assumption is that the BD will not perform well and you conclude that you must turn the BD into a BL via retrofitting, then just buy the BL to begin with.

I don't necessarily agree with your assumption, but that is your business.
Thanks for the reply.

Trying to see if I could build a BD into the BL's specs and save money was exactly what I was trying to do. I enjoy working on my stuff so if I could add aftermarket and save money it would be fun and worth it. If I have to add better shocks, a front locking diff and even a manual swaybar disco, as you said I should go ahead and get the BL up front...

From four wheeling the last 8 years I have used the front locker many times so I know I could use that. I also run with the swaybars (front and back) disconnected. I have also blown an aluminum front diff so I am leery of it..

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you add the 4A transfer case the the BD it’s even closer price wise. You can’t duplicate the BL in BD trim with aftermarket parts for less $. It also opens up high package, which is the best $ I spent on my BL. The screen and cameras are awesome. The way the sway bar disconnect works is pretty cool too. The auto connect and disconnect makes it simple to use and makes a huge difference in ride quality, on top of added articulation. You would probably never bother to use the manual disconnect in those situations, because of the time and effort to do iy manually.

Sponsored

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you add the 4A transfer case the the BD it’s even closer price wise. You can’t duplicate the BL in BD trim with aftermarket parts for less $. It also opens up high package, which is the best $ I spent on my BL. The screen and cameras are awesome. The way the sway bar disconnect works is pretty cool too. The auto connect and disconnect makes it simple to use and makes a huge difference in ride quality, on top of added articulation. You would probably never bother to use the manual disconnect in those situations, because of the time and effort to do iy manually.
I completely agree about the high package. I will be a newbie to off roading, but I definitely wanted the cameras and larger screen. I doubt I will need the sway bar, but who knows? If I could've got the high package, I probably would've got the BD.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It gets even more complicated if you add Sasquatch to both and are buying the SAC or Granger deal. I can swap to a high package Badlands for only a couple grand more than a mid package BD but the issue is I like the BD headlights, interior and grill more than the Badlands while all I want from that is the 12 inch screen.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going with a squatched BL because I plan to do a lot of off roading and trying to connect and disconnect the sway bar seemed like something that just wasn't going to happen. Especially when the ground is wet or covered with snow or ice. I'm also going with the mid package so I'm not forced into the BL if I absolutely want the high or lux packages.
Sponsored