Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely go badlands vs. optioning up a black diamond or spending a lot of aftermarket money on a black diamond. The black diamond just looks like a base/lower trim with the unpainted grill and no signature LEDs.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same decision to make. You've gotten a lot of thoughts already... but just to add my opinion:

The sway-bar disconnect is really cool, but rarely ever strictly needed unless you do off-roading over very rocky terrain. However, the front and rear lockers, are basically a must if you do any amount of moderately difficult off-roading trails.

If you're going with the Sasquatch package, then Black Diamond should be fine. If you are not going with the Sasquatch, I would get Badlands simply because it has the front and rear locker standard. And of course... if you want the higher technology packages the Badlands is basically your only option.

I do not feel like the Badlands with the Sasquatch package is a good value at all. You're basically paying an extra $2500 for a set of tires and a minor suspension lift at the cost of fuel economy. Everything else normally included in the Sasquatch package is already included in the base Badlands trim.

Folks who are serious about off-roading will be looking at 37-40s for tires and some suspension changes... so why waste the money on Sasquatch?? And if you are not serious about off-roading... then you'll either be happy with the stock Badland setup, or you can easily get some new tires and the minor suspension lift down the road in the future once you have a better idea of your needs and capabilities.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks, those were my thoughts...I'm not going to Scratch but might dip my toes in some off-road stuff out West. So I think it might be better to have to extra equip just in case. #goingforbroke lol

If you got the BD you would be happy with your Bronco. If you got the BL you would never regret it and you'd be very happy you did it.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have to ask, you don't need/won't use the additional capability of the Badlands. You (and me and countless others) won't be able to push a Black Diamond to it's limits, let alone the Badlands. If you're asking (like me), we will be the weak link off roading, not the machine.

You can buy the Black Diamond with full comfort knowing it will serve you well as you gain experience. And after a few years and lots of experience, it will always be upgradable.

If you have to ask...

Of course, if you just want to buy the Badlands just cuz, it's your money.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have to ask, you don't need/won't use the additional capability of the Badlands. You (and me and countless others) won't be able to push a Black Diamond to it's limits, let alone the Badlands. If you're asking (like me), we will be the weak link off roading, not the machine.

You can buy the Black Diamond with full comfort knowing it will serve you well as you gain experience. And after a few years and lots of experience, it will always be upgradable.

If you have to ask...

Of course, if you just want to buy the Badlands just cuz, it's your money.
Right...I do like the 12inch screen and additional 360 camera on the BL...And the additional equip is nice...I'm not going to scratch so for the $ the BD might be the way to go...I'm so torn..

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was debating the same thing. I originally went with BL SAS, but switched to BD with adv 4x4 (4A) and rea locker mostly for the cost savings. I do not plan to do any rock crawling so the extra articulation is not a big issue for me. I am giving up the front locker and beefier front axle and 4.7 gears, but I figure the 4.46 will be strong enough and should give a little more on the high end as it will spend alot of time on the road. I do plan to add 2" lift (SAS is only 1") from 2.5 coilovers and 35's once the aftermarket has more options. Should be able to run 33's on the BD after removing crash bars. Also main purpose will be to get me to slopes so I had to go the the Black Diamond.
Yes we are similar in our thoughts...I am so torn...I'm not going to squatch so trying to see if I just go all in and get all the options (BL) or just be happy with a BD...thanks for your reply!

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a Coloradan I figured I’d add my two cents (for whatever that’s worth which is probably even less than a penny).

I grew up in the Denver area and have lived here on and off (but now on for the home stretch…which considering I’m in my mid 40s is hopefully a long time).

I was sort of in the same situation as you (started off with a lower trim then bought into the hype without thinking much and finally and happily settled on a Badsquatch).

There’s a guy above saying you don’t need the Badlands if you’re just starting out. And he’s right - in order to use all the capabilities of that vehicle you’re going to need to be a lot more experienced.

However - just because you don’t have that experience *now* doesn’t mean you’re never going to have it.

A conversation you need to have with yourself basically boils down to: do you like the idea of off-roading or are you really planning on making it an active hobby? I know a guy who went all in on a raptor a couple years ago and went on a moderate off-road trail one time. He hasn’t gone back in the mountains since.

If you think that’s a likely scenario then stick with the BD. It’ll be more than enough for your needs.

But if you, like me, are actually going to spend a lot of time in the mountains going to places that most vehicles can’t reach - if you can afford it absolutely invest in the Badlands. I don’t know anyone who’s said “damn…my truck is too capable for this trail”. It’s (I’m my opinion) always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Again - if you can afford it then absolutely invest in the most capabale off-road Bronco you can get.

Another guy said people who are *really* serious about off-roading will be running on 37”+. He’s also absolutely right.

But like you’ll find with skiers here -there are people who enjoy going to Vail and hitting the black diamond slopes, there are people who ski the back bowls…and then there are hardcore enthusiasts who go heli skiing in their spare time.

So in my opinion the BD is like the skiers on the black diamond, the Badlands is like the bowls, and people in hard tuned off-road vehicles are like the people taking helicopter rides to go ski.

The truth is that very few people are ever going to tackle off-road trails that require 37” - but the Badlands has everything you need to do some real serious off-roading here.

Obviously do what works for you - but again better to have a vehicle you can grow in to.

The mountains here are awesome - you’re going to love it. And you probably know this but in case you don’t - pay very careful attention to trail conditions. A lot of trails up in the mountains can be closed into late June (or later depending…)

Also - welcome to Colorado!

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what its worth the sway bar disconnect, and trail turn assist were cool but only needed about 1% of the time at the Off-Roadeo (fun but def managed trails.) That said stuff like this, winches, and proper recovery gear are the 1% of the time things that keep you from calling for help (check out the you tube recovery videos to get an idea how much a backcountry tow cost$$$$.)
I also think the 360 cameras are rarely needed but can help spot when your solo on the trail, or haven't trained the pup to spot!

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I understand your point, however let me express a different perspective. Experience allows you to do more with less equipment, less vehicle capability. Yes, an experienced driver might try more and so make use of better equipment, but a less experienced driver can make use of better equipment to make up for less experience. So, I would argue that driver experience doesn't have anything to do with the benefit of getting better equipment. Just another perspective.

There’s a guy above saying you don’t need the Badlands if you’re just starting out. And he’s right - in order to use all the capabilities of that vehicle you’re going to need to be a lot more experienced.

However - just because you don’t have that experience *now* doesn’t mean you’re never going to have it.

.....But if you, like me, are actually going to spend a lot of time in the mountains going to places that most vehicles can’t reach - if you can afford it absolutely invest in the Badlands. I don’t know anyone who’s said “damn…my truck is too capable for this trail”. It’s (I’m my opinion) always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Again - if you can afford it then absolutely invest in the most capabale off-road Bronco you can get.

Another guy said people who are *really* serious about off-roading will be running on 37”+. He’s also absolutely right.
Agree with the first part.

Seriously disagree with the second part regarding 37" tires. Could hardly get more serious about off roading than me. Again, just a different perspective, and I understand what you're saying. It's kind of back to the experience thing. I'm getting a non-Sas Badlands on 33's. I'm very confident it will do what I want to do. I might end up getting 35's. I will never get 37's because I will never need them. My current trail rig is an XJ on 33's and I regularly out wheel Wranglers on 37's. I enjoy doing more with less. I have no problem others getting 37's, but how hardcore any of us are really doesn't have much to do with tire size.

You're from Colorado, I assume you've run Poughkeepsie Gulch and done the hard side at the top with The Wall. I did the Wall this summer in my daily driver XJ with 2" lift on 30's and open front and limited slip rear. Experience trumps tire size every time. BTW, just throwing out another perspective, I get what you were trying to say. :) (y)

DarkPony

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F250 Platinum, 97 Porsche 993
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Definitely BL, I test drove a WT and a BD and wasn't impressed with the interior trim. Although I got a OBX non sas the WT was nice but wasn't necessary for a DD and my old jeeps with no more than a 2 inch lift and 33's could tackle anything. Ive also learned get everything you want and you will never have a wishicouldawoulda.

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m bias towards the “upper middle class” bronco, the Black Diamond as that’s what I ordered! I went through this exact decision making process as MGV seats and washout floors were a must (beach sand problems)!
For me it boiled down to what you’re actually going to do and what will get it done or the least amount of cash! If you plan on being a rock crawler and running big oversized tires then maybe BL is the way to go? But if like me you see a slight 2” lift and some decent (and modest) 33” MT tires then BD is probably enough?
I’m building mine into an overland ring and really just want a bit more ground clearance and tires with a decent load rating for carrying gear. Although very cool I don’t need disconnecting swaybar, would love front lockers but I’ve driven many a truck without and always got where I need to go on 4x4, clearance and quality tires.
Where I did “invest” was the advanced 4x4, the 2.7L and in some really nice 33” grabberx3 tires (grabber ATX will be my winter set)

Either way the choice is yours either way you win!

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am arguing with myself as when I crunched numbers the Badlands optioned with high, Sas, etc. ended up about $4500 more over BD with mid. I have zero use for disconnect and am only thinking of upgrading for the High package...this will drive me nuts

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If money is tight the black diamond is a good choice. I was originally looking at a 2 door black diamond, but am reconsidering. I am in no rush though want to see Ford fix all the little gremlins before I spend 50-75k for a vehicle. Also, curious if they do a hybrid
So in my opinion the BD is like the skiers on the black diamond, the Badlands is like the bowls, and people in hard tuned off-road vehicles are like the people taking helicopter rides to go ski.

The truth is that very few people are ever going to tackle off-road trails that require 37” - but the Badlands has everything you need to do some real serious off-roading here.

This is the the thing right here. For me, it's not about money being tight or being the heli-skier. I would love to know I have the capability in my rig if I need it (even though I likely won't) and I'm willing to spend the money. HOWEVER, I don't have enough trust in Ford or this newly launched vehicle. I don't like to waste money. I don't want to buy an optioned Badlands and end up with a rig that is in the shop. If I had confidence in the new Bronco, I would easily go the more money route. Right now it's looking like the more money you spend, the more headaches you're going to have.
Sponsored

Last edited: