First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand your point, however let me express a different perspective. Experience allows you to do more with less equipment, less vehicle capability. Yes, an experienced driver might try more and so make use of better equipment, but a less experienced driver can make use of better equipment to make up for less experience. So, I would argue that driver experience doesn't have anything to do with the benefit of getting better equipment. Just another perspective.

Agree with the first part.

Seriously disagree with the second part regarding 37" tires. Could hardly get more serious about off roading than me. Again, just a different perspective, and I understand what you're saying. It's kind of back to the experience thing. I'm getting a non-Sas Badlands on 33's. I'm very confident it will do what I want to do. I might end up getting 35's. I will never get 37's because I will never need them. My current trail rig is an XJ on 33's and I regularly out wheel Wranglers on 37's. I enjoy doing more with less. I have no problem others getting 37's, but how hardcore any of us are really doesn't have much to do with tire size.

You're from Colorado, I assume you've run Poughkeepsie Gulch and done the hard side at the top with The Wall. I did the Wall this summer in my daily driver XJ with 2" lift on 30's and open front and limited slip rear. Experience trumps tire size every time. BTW, just throwing out another perspective, I get what you were trying to say. :) (y)
sorry to keep this short (getting the kid to bed) but youā€™re right. Tire size certainly doesnā€™t trump experience in any way and I donā€™t think I spoke clearly or correctly. I guess what I should have said is most of the people I know who are hardcore off-roaders have 37ā€+ (for the record - Iā€™m definite *not* a hardcore off-roader by any means and will defer to your experienceā€¦which honestly Iā€™m guessing is probably a good deal superior to mine).

As for Poughkeepsie (esp the wall) - Iā€™ve never driven it (rode as a passenger). Super impressive and like I said youā€™re definitely more knowledgeable/experienced than I am. Iā€™m working on getting better but Iā€™m pretty cautious. Honestly probably a bit too much. My job is all about risk assessment and that bleeds over into my driving.
Sponsored

Squatch This

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee 4Dr V6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Badlands with the high package, if that is financially feasible for you. Pricier true. But an investment you will not regret making. What you will regret down the road is settling for less options and capability, if you could have made it possible.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Base Bronco is a fine off-roader. The Black Diamond with rear locker and skid plates even better. For the majority of what most people need, either of those is plenty.

Many of us are out the wild often enough to have a good idea of what we need. For me, 4x4 and a rear locker will be plenty.

I took on teaching as a second career, so a $50k truck will never be in my budget. But if this weren't the case, I'd be all over a Badlands or a Wildtrak.šŸ˜

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So here is a question: I have to finalize my build and am torn between these two. The Black Diamond is about $7k cheaper but doesn't have the 12 inch screen option, additional off road equipment, etc. The marine grade vinyl is a must so I wanted to ask you guys of you think if I'm going all in should I go for the Badlands? I am moving to Colorado and haven't really done any challenging off roading. I have no intent on selling my Bronco so wanted feedback as I haven't driven one and know you guys are well versed in the builds. Thanks!!
What Shark1247 said. Just go Badlands and get all the suspension toys.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What you will regret down the road is settling for less options and capability, if you could have made it possible.
In many cases that is probably true, but given what we have seen so far (recalls and all) do you really believe that's the case with a new vehicle launched by Ford?

Right now I'm thinking less is more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

In mony cases that is probably true, but given what we have seen so far (recalls and all) do you really believe that's the case with a new vehicle launched by Ford?

Right now I'm thinking less is more.

I'm with you on this regarding options, not so much on equipment. Not much risk with BL over BD, just front locker, position sensitive shocks, and sta bar. I took a drive in the dealer demo again yesterday to let my wife have some time in it, and started thinking about at least getting Mid pkg, might like more features since spending this much on a new vehicle (haven't bought myself a new car since 1980). Then I reviewed what was in all the packages and again thought that I want to keep this simple and keep it easier and less to repair down the road. I plan to keep this thing a very long time, and would be totally fine with virtually no options. Not sure at this point.

Of course, I don't think any of the options in those packages are new to Bronco, that stuff has been out there in other Fords and other brands. Still gives me pause.

Ddman92129

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands with the high package, if that is financially feasible for you. Pricier true. But an investment you will not regret making. What you will regret down the road is settling for less options and capability, if you could have made it possible.
I keep 2nd guessing myself on the SAS BL, but I always end up telling myself I donā€™t want to have any regrets down the road just to save a few bucks.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I keep 2nd guessing myself on the SAS BL, but I always end up telling myself I donā€™t want to have any regrets down the road just to save a few bucks.
go for it! I definitely think Sasquatch will be worth it if the lift is great parts. The wheels are great IMO. I got bilstein 5100 on my 4 runner and love it.

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a Coloradan I figured Iā€™d add my two cents (for whatever thatā€™s worth which is probably even less than a penny).

I grew up in the Denver area and have lived here on and off (but now on for the home stretchā€¦which considering Iā€™m in my mid 40s is hopefully a long time).

I was sort of in the same situation as you (started off with a lower trim then bought into the hype without thinking much and finally and happily settled on a Badsquatch).

Thereā€™s a guy above saying you donā€™t need the Badlands if youā€™re just starting out. And heā€™s right - in order to use all the capabilities of that vehicle youā€™re going to need to be a lot more experienced.

However - just because you donā€™t have that experience *now* doesnā€™t mean youā€™re never going to have it.

A conversation you need to have with yourself basically boils down to: do you like the idea of off-roading or are you really planning on making it an active hobby? I know a guy who went all in on a raptor a couple years ago and went on a moderate off-road trail one time. He hasnā€™t gone back in the mountains since.

If you think thatā€™s a likely scenario then stick with the BD. Itā€™ll be more than enough for your needs.

But if you, like me, are actually going to spend a lot of time in the mountains going to places that most vehicles canā€™t reach - if you can afford it absolutely invest in the Badlands. I donā€™t know anyone whoā€™s said ā€œdamnā€¦my truck is too capable for this trailā€. Itā€™s (Iā€™m my opinion) always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Again - if you can afford it then absolutely invest in the most capabale off-road Bronco you can get.

Another guy said people who are *really* serious about off-roading will be running on 37ā€+. Heā€™s also absolutely right.

But like youā€™ll find with skiers here -there are people who enjoy going to Vail and hitting the black diamond slopes, there are people who ski the back bowlsā€¦and then there are hardcore enthusiasts who go heli skiing in their spare time.

So in my opinion the BD is like the skiers on the black diamond, the Badlands is like the bowls, and people in hard tuned off-road vehicles are like the people taking helicopter rides to go ski.

The truth is that very few people are ever going to tackle off-road trails that require 37ā€ - but the Badlands has everything you need to do some real serious off-roading here.

Obviously do what works for you - but again better to have a vehicle you can grow in to.

The mountains here are awesome - youā€™re going to love it. And you probably know this but in case you donā€™t - pay very careful attention to trail conditions. A lot of trails up in the mountains can be closed into late June (or later dependingā€¦)

Also - welcome to Colorado!
Agree 109% but this is what is missing here, is the BD is missing the creature comforts of something that is not a hardcore off-road vehicle.
Their is a balance of hardcore off-road, vs hardcore comfort. Put less off-road in badlands and maybe more tech /comfort. Maybe that is what the WT or OB is for? Not sure.

Honestly though, I would have bought a Squatched BD if it had a high trim, and came in at 50ish.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agree 109% but this is what is missing here, is the BD is missing the creature comforts of something that is not a hardcore off-road vehicle.
Their is a balance of hardcore off-road, vs hardcore comfort. Put less off-road in badlands and maybe more tech /comfort. Maybe that is what the WT or OB is for? Not sure.

Honestly though, I would have bought a Squatched BD if it had a high trim, and came in at 50ish.
This. If the vehicle is a daily driver why wouldnā€™t you want to be more comfortable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a Coloradan I figured Iā€™d add my two cents (for whatever thatā€™s worth which is probably even less than a penny).

I grew up in the Denver area and have lived here on and off (but now on for the home stretchā€¦which considering Iā€™m in my mid 40s is hopefully a long time).

I was sort of in the same situation as you (started off with a lower trim then bought into the hype without thinking much and finally and happily settled on a Badsquatch).

Thereā€™s a guy above saying you donā€™t need the Badlands if youā€™re just starting out. And heā€™s right - in order to use all the capabilities of that vehicle youā€™re going to need to be a lot more experienced.

However - just because you donā€™t have that experience *now* doesnā€™t mean youā€™re never going to have it.

A conversation you need to have with yourself basically boils down to: do you like the idea of off-roading or are you really planning on making it an active hobby? I know a guy who went all in on a raptor a couple years ago and went on a moderate off-road trail one time. He hasnā€™t gone back in the mountains since.

If you think thatā€™s a likely scenario then stick with the BD. Itā€™ll be more than enough for your needs.

But if you, like me, are actually going to spend a lot of time in the mountains going to places that most vehicles canā€™t reach - if you can afford it absolutely invest in the Badlands. I donā€™t know anyone whoā€™s said ā€œdamnā€¦my truck is too capable for this trailā€. Itā€™s (Iā€™m my opinion) always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Again - if you can afford it then absolutely invest in the most capabale off-road Bronco you can get.

Another guy said people who are *really* serious about off-roading will be running on 37ā€+. Heā€™s also absolutely right.

But like youā€™ll find with skiers here -there are people who enjoy going to Vail and hitting the black diamond slopes, there are people who ski the back bowlsā€¦and then there are hardcore enthusiasts who go heli skiing in their spare time.

So in my opinion the BD is like the skiers on the black diamond, the Badlands is like the bowls, and people in hard tuned off-road vehicles are like the people taking helicopter rides to go ski.

The truth is that very few people are ever going to tackle off-road trails that require 37ā€ - but the Badlands has everything you need to do some real serious off-roading here.

Obviously do what works for you - but again better to have a vehicle you can grow in to.

The mountains here are awesome - youā€™re going to love it. And you probably know this but in case you donā€™t - pay very careful attention to trail conditions. A lot of trails up in the mountains can be closed into late June (or later dependingā€¦)

Thank you for your reply....I have boxers so I want to explore trails with them because they love just riding around. And I am of the same mind set better to be prepared. I'm not going to Squatch so 33s on the BL is more than enough. I will be driving to Cheyenne weekdays for work so having a Bronco is going to be great for all the season in Colorado! What part are you in?

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yes we are similar in our thoughts...I am so torn...I'm not going to squatch so trying to see if I just go all in and get all the options (BL) or just be happy with a BD...thanks for your reply!
Read this and read it again. Sound advice.

I've gone from stock SuperCab Raptor to what most would consider a "mid-level" Raptor: bumpers, mid travel rear, new UCAs and tie rods, 37s, 4.88 gears, fiberglass fenders, and basic stuff like CAI and exhaust. I still want more. It's getting a front locker and winch/new bumper for the basic trail capabilities. If I didn't have a bad habit of building an early Bronco, it would have mid travel front, full roll cage, etc. But what I did is start with a truck I'd "grow" into. It's been my daily driver since 2011 and I've had it in Moab, NorCal, high speed to slow crawling in NM, typical SoCal desert, high speed trails in northern Nevada, muddy rally track in WV, tight trails in the mountains of CO, clay mud at the TX Raptor Run (with broken 4x4), and it started out stock trim in NC. It's been able to suit me through it all, minus when I forget to set up the traction control setting properly.

Once the EB is built and sold, I'm getting a Badlands because it'll be easy to build into what I want and not stress over finding those random things that it'll need in the mean time and later down the road, like a missing locker or sway bar disconnect. Know where you'd like to end up. If you're not a big off roader already and feel like you may not be, then the BD will do fine. If you're into that scene and know that'll be your thing, go BL. It sounds like you're set on the BL, so you do you. But his advice is better advice than people saying to crunch numbers.

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for your reply....I have boxers so I want to explore trails with them because they love just riding around. And I am of the same mind set better to be prepared. I'm not going to Squatch so 33s on the BL is more than enough. I will be driving to Cheyenne weekdays for work so having a Bronco is going to be great for all the season in Colorado! What part are you in?
Makes perfect sense! Iā€™m mainly going BadSquatch because I love the looksā€¦and the slightly larger tires might come in useful. Iā€™m not under any illusions about my abilities - but Iā€™m going to have this vehicle (hopefully) for a very long time. So might as well get everything I want now.
Iā€™ve made the mistake before of settling and not getting exactly what I wanted. This time Iā€™m just getting everything. At the end of the day not *too* much more $.

I live in Parker. Where are you moving to?

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Makes perfect sense! Iā€™m mainly going BadSquatch because I love the looksā€¦and the slightly larger tires might come in useful. Iā€™m not under any illusions about my abilities - but Iā€™m going to have this vehicle (hopefully) for a very long time. So might as well get everything I want now.
Iā€™ve made the mistake before of settling and not getting exactly what I wanted. This time Iā€™m just getting everything. At the end of the day not *too* much more $.

I live in Parker. Where are you moving to?
Right that is my thinking too....for a few more dollars get every option...I might love hardcore off-roading maybe not but atleast I know my Bronco can handle it. I can keep it stock with know we're good...

And I am moving to Fort Collins with my boxers....starting a new job in Cheyenne....maybe there will be a Bronco meet up in CO? When is yours getting built?

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right that is my thinking too....for a few more dollars get every option...I might love hardcore off-roading maybe not but atleast I know my Bronco can handle it. I can keep it stock with know we're good...

And I am moving to Fort Collins with my boxers....starting a new job in Cheyenne....maybe there will be a Bronco meet up in CO? When is yours getting built?
Enjoy Ft Fun - hope you like beer! Great city.

As for when mine is getting built...sometime between Christmas and the heat death of the universe.

I'm a Feb res/order so my best guess is May-June. If it's a bit later...eh I'll live. I'm not expecting a lot of the higher mountain trails to be open until late June-early July and my favorite time to camp is mid-week late summer to fall. So as long as I have my as-of-yet-unnamed Badlands by then I'll be fine.

Incidentally if you want a good place to start getting ideas for great trails pick up the Funtreks Guide to Northern Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails. There are so many good trails in Colorado that they split the Funtreks guide into two books. The Northern version is all the trails north of I70 (so where you'll be). The non-northern guide is obviously the trails south of I70.

Since it's a book certainly not 100% up to date but it's a nice guide to have with you (I always prefer reading physical books).

Anyway I think you're making the right choice getting the Badlands. I'm loading it up because I just want the most "capable" offroad (stock) Bronco. A lot of people on here are going to modify the hell out of their rides. That's just not my thing. This is also going to be my daily driver (although not my work car - I'm a pilot and there's pretty much no way with all the summer hailstorms we get I'm parking this outside at the airport for 4+ days at a time). But I want something that's loaded and very comfortable when I go on extended overlanding trips. I'm getting soft in my old age and want to be as comfortable as possible...

And if there's a Bronco meetup and I'm in town I'll 100% be there
Sponsored