Sponsored

Badlands w/ Mud Terrain or All Terrain 33” Tire?

jroudebu

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trying for a shot at a 2021 model… Just changed my order from Wildtrak to a Non Squatched Badlands 2.3L with a soft top and upgraded wheels and it gives you a choice between all terrain or mud terrain tires…. Which should I go with?
Sponsored

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you plan on switching to winter tires at some point in the year, MT for summer. If not, consider ATs. Regardless, its your decision based on your needs. BTW, I just made the same switch this morning from WT to BL but with the SAS.

mynameismyles657

Badlands
First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the All Terrains, they’re BFG K02’s I’ve heard great things. I thought about the mud tires, but they just don’t look aggressive enough to be great in the mud or rocks.

When I do bump up to 35’s it’ll be for KM3’s

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Trying for a shot at a 2021 model… Just changed my order from Wildtrak to a Non Squatched Badlands 2.3L with a soft top and upgraded wheels and it gives you a choice between all terrain or mud terrain tires…. Which should I go with?
Get what comes for free! Why spend an extra $800 for tires? BUT, definitely get the upgraded wheels for $999. They look one hundred million billion times better than the stock rims AND everyone will think they're Squatch.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Good Years are not what many consider “Mud Terrain “. They are referred to as “multi terrain”. They may be slightly more aggressive or better able to clear mud, but if mud is your thing, your likely going to be doing something more aggressive. I have not had good results with Good Year in the past, so my bias is towards the KO2s.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ko2 is the best all season, on and off road AT. The Goodyear is also very nice and is similar to what comes on the military humvee.

The performance of both is great but the ko2 handles snow a little better in my opinion.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get the KO2s. They're the gold standard in off-road tires. The Goodyears are at this point an unknown quantity.

I'm getting Sasquatch, which come with the GY, but if given the choice, I'd get KO2s.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rehashed over and over. How may time do we have to ask?

The MT's are larger by .2 inch and have a deeper tread. The 285 KO2's are about the same weight as Sasquatch tires.
Gaggs11 said:
EDIT: Tirerack updated the specs. The post had been edited to reflect the correct data.

Just noticed that the Goodyear Territory tires in 285/70R17 & 315/70R17 have arrived on Tirerack.

Seems both Goodyears are C rated.

KO2 51 lbs vs 285 GY 45lbs vs 315 GY 52lbs.

EDIT: The 285/70R17 Goodyear appears Not severe snow service rated (initial specs in Tirerack showed severe snow rating, but it has been removed since)
0b0e6dd5-fb0d-49a6-b117-9fd7181fcd01-jpeg.jpg

cdd96516-7489-401d-a5f1-1c9877b38504-jpeg.jpg

75b0413d-dabc-4b59-ae5f-e3e87a17f434-jpeg.jpg

Well that's quite a weight difference (6 pounds) for the 285"s vs the K02's. I very much prefer the look of the MT's, but then again most any AT or MT looks better than the K02's IMO. We will have to wait and see about the final dimensions of the Goodyear's for a correct diameter. As far a snow rating I don't much care. If I decide to drive in snow I will buy dedicated snow tires. No tire is the "jack of all trades".

I am kind of a visual guy. That's why I ordered a 2dr Non-Sas Badlands in Carbonized Gray, optional wheels with the MT's. Everything seems to blend together well and nothing is OUT of proportion.

Back to the MT's weight. A tire's weight is way more important to performance than say the wheel weight. Any weight further away from the axle has a far greater effect on acceleration and deceleration. There is also the benefit of less un-sprung and static weight.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get the KO2s. They're the gold standard in off-road tires. The Goodyears are at this point an unknown quantity.

I'm getting Sasquatch, which come with the GY, but if given the choice, I'd get KO2s.
Gold standard?

(My personal opinion)

The BFG ko/ko2 are one of the most overrated tires. Being in the business for years I cant help but roll my eyes when people used to ask for them in the shop setting, but its one of those things that are popular for so long that people just know the name. I there are way better options out there and since this thread is nitto/toyo I will keep my opinion to those as there are quite a few good tires out there these days.

Nitto Terra G2 - Least aggressive of all choices, absolutely smooth/quiet ride, have seen as much as 90,000 miles out of these always suggestion for the older crowd who want zero noise and long life.
Nitto Recon Grappler - no personal experience yet, but an updated more aggressive look as that was the biggest downfall of the G2 so i expect nothing but good things.
Nitto Ridge Grappler - Most aggressive looking tire without sacrificing ride, smooth, slightly noisier than the all terrain alternatives. Most see 40-60 depending on truck/use

Toyo Open Country ATII - was my previous favorite as it was one of the more aggressive looking all terrains, the ridge was incredible and would usually see 45-65 out of them.
Toyo Open Country ATIII - my current favorite choice for all around tire, more aggressive styling and still maintains smooth quiet ride.

Summary ATIII if you dont want such an aggressive tread (and definately in place of the KO@)ridge grappler if your looking for more aggressive.

Frank

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
k02 for snow, unless your getting a second set of snow tires.
Mud for better off road, unless your getting a second set of off road tires.
So it depends on your use.

The mud looks better.

I am more of a long term planer so I know the tires will get replaced some day and my choice may be more what rim comes with that tire.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The optional Goodyears cost too much versus the cost differential over KO2s off the rack. So stay with the KO2s for the first set, and then decide when you're buying the second set.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs