BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only difference between the Baja mode and Sport mode is 4H vs 2H from what I’ve seen. Wondering how useful Baja mode will be for just cruising(Not racing)through sand and dunes in Southern California. Is it worth changing to the badlands model from black diamond to have the Baja mode? You can manually switch to 4H with a Sasquatched Black Diamond or add and use the Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement, correct?
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought I read that Baja mode locks the rear diff as well. Can anyone confirm? And I think that is exactly what Baja mode is for, cruising through sand dunes. I think I would get more out of that then Rock crawl mode if I lived in Cali.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You can also run Baja mode in 2H (just switch it back to 2H). Baja mode will keep the RPM's significantly higher than Sport mode will.

OP
OP
BroncOcotillo

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seems like the only advantage would be not to kick up as much sand with higher rpms. Is there something I’m missing?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncOcotillo

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From a 2016 article about the 2017 Raptor: “Baja is designed for "high-speed desert running," says a Ford press release, with a throttle map and traction control settings designed to give "more liner power and improved engine response," as well as quicker shifts and a transmission that will hold gears longer into the rev range.”

Sounds like the GOAT modes are making computer controlled adjustments. Took a while for me to get it through my thick skull, not having done much off-roading since the mid-80s. Might be worth going for the Badlands or Wildtrak for SoCal desert trips.:rolleyes:

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FWIW, in one of the ride along videos the driver said he was in Sand mode - not Baja mode - when they were doing the fast stuff. I don't remember exactly which model they were in though.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, in one of the ride along videos the driver said he was in Sand mode - not Baja mode - when they were doing the fast stuff. I don't remember exactly which model they were in though.
badlands/7MT/2.3L!

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So with the Badlands I'm guessing on pavement being we don't have sport mode we will just use Baja mode? On the Raptor forums they say not to do this. So if thats the case what option do we have just normal?

Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So with the Badlands I'm guessing on pavement being we don't have sport mode we will just use Baja mode? On the Raptor forums they say not to do this. So if thats the case what option do we have just normal?
I had planned on using Baja mode on pavement for my badlands. Because it doesn’t have sport mode.

I really want to hear why you wouldn’t use Baja mode on pavement. This will influence my decision significantly whether I stick with badlands or go wildtrak.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had planned on using Baja mode on pavement for my badlands. Because it doesn’t have sport mode.

I really want to hear why you wouldn’t use Baja mode on pavement. This will influence my decision significantly whether I stick with badlands or go wildtrak.
Complete guess following...
Baja mode puts the transfer case into 4wd, probably high range, which locks the center differential. You only want to lock differentials on low traction surfaces to keep the driveline from binding.
It sounds like you can switch to Baja mode, then move from 4wd (4H) to AWD (4A) or 2wd (2H) for driving on the pavement. This should keep all the other parameters in their Baja setting (throttle map, transmission shift points).
Unless there is a customization option for the drive modes, you'd have to switch the transfer case every time you select Baja mode on the pavement.

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I don’t have a Gen 2 Raptor, but if it’s anything like Off-Road Mode in the Gen 1, and from what I’ve read, it is, the problem is it keeps the RPM’s at basically redline for as long as possible. Let off the gas? Keeps the transmission in gear for an extended period of time. It is assuming you are off-road and using the engine to brake in slippery / not-concrete conditions. It also severely limits your traction control and crash avoidance systems. It also changes how ABS works (read: turns it off) because ABS off-road is actually worse than locking up the tires. Locking the tires up allows the tires to build up a berm in front of them actually slowing you down a bit more. Not having ABS on the street isn’t the best idea. And always rumored but never proven - it may also desensitize the airbags so big bangs off-road don’t just fire off an airbag in your face.

Baja mode puts the transfer case into 4wd, probably high range, which locks the center differential. You only want to lock differentials on low traction surfaces to keep the driveline from binding.
It sounds like you can switch to Baja mode, then move from 4wd (4H) to AWD (4A) or 2wd (2H) for driving on the pavement. This should keep all the other parameters in their Baja setting (throttle map, transmission shift points).
Unless there is a customization option for the drive modes, you'd have to switch the transfer case every time you select Baja mode on the pavement.
At least on the Raptor, you can then over-ride the truck to go back into 2WD. It defaults to 4WD but you can then put it in 2WD if you want. Same with the locking diff - you can enable or disable if you want.

OP
OP
BroncOcotillo

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes. This is now the question I have. Can you switch drives to simulate other GOAT modes? Like you stated above, can you switch drives and maintain the other GOAT parameters? For example, assuming the chart listed above is correct, can you engage Sport mode then switch to 4H, keeping the other Sport mode parameters, to simulate Baja mode? Or vise versa, Baja to Sport?