Sponsored

Ballpark cost to engine swap to 3.0/3.5 EB TT?

phoenix00

Wildtrak
First Name
Phoenix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L eb FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Okay, I get I just asked how much does a car cost...

But with all the delays, and the growing size of the Raptor, I'm wondering if anyone has any real experience swapping out a larger engine, understanding how complex it is, and ballpark what it would cost. I've got a F150 with the 3.5 EB TT and it's an amazing engine... Anyone have a ballpark idea on what it would cost to buy and swap out a 3.0 or 3.5 EB TT? Is it in the $10k range, or the $15-$20k range? More? Because while I fully get spending $100k on the Raptor (I can't see anyone being able to get below $100k with ADM for the next 3-5 years), I have zero desire to wait 3-5 years to be able to do that...

But, I might be tempted to drop a 3.0/3.5 in my Wildtrak if it's a reasonable addition... I do think the 3.5 would require a transmission swap as well to the 10R80, which I presume adds another $5-6k to the process... Although I suspect I could recoup some decent cash selling the stock engine/transmission... And I'm aware of the Hennessy VelociRaptor 400, but it doesn't really seem to be enough bang for what they're charging...

But Wildtrak + 3.5 EB TT +10R80 = Warthog...

Anyone have any INFORMED thoughts on what that might cost?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The "dollars spent/performance gain" ratio would be obscenely high. Put a fraction of that same money in some mods and performance tuning and have a Bronco with the factory computer, wiring etc it was engineered for. JMO.

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here you go

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73 V8

https://performanceproductstn.com/ford-racing-m-6007-35t-3-5l-gtdi-ecoboost-v6-engine-kit 3.5

But if you want more power, just put bigger turbos, bigger intercooler, bigger intake, exhaust and tune. Basic bolt ons will get you way more power and it would be wayyyy cheaper. Plus its already been done on the 2.7 engine with the F150

https://5startuning.com/product-cat...boost/2018-f150-2-7l-ecoboost-turbo-upgrades/

470 WHP with upgraded turbos on the 2.7

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
phoenix00

phoenix00

Wildtrak
First Name
Phoenix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A 3.5 would be expensive and I’m not sure it’ll properly fit in the bay.

The nano 2.7/3.0 engine however are extremely similar and power differences are almost entirely attributed to the difference in compressor size. Easy as getting used turbos or sending yours in for upgraded parts (plenty of services offer this). Easier than swapping a whole motor, cheaper as well and still 95% of the output, or better if you have your turbos built up bigger. The minor variance in bore diameter/stroke adding 0.3 liters doesn’t make a big net gain.
Ahhhh, now that is fascinating... Very interesting thought... Thanks!!!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are your end goals as far as hp and tq? The link posted above for the 3.5TT crate motor is rated at 365hp/420lb-ft. The 2.7 is 310hp/400lb-ft. $9400 plus labor, programming and tax is a lot of money to spend for a net gain of 55hp/20lb-ft (plus I think it has been said that the 3.5 is to wide for the Bronco). So, to answer your question, a minimum of $15k + transmission if needed.

You could do a lot of work to that 2.7 (intercooler, turbos, bored, tuned, etc) for a fraction of the cost and have better performance numbers.

OP
OP
phoenix00

phoenix00

Wildtrak
First Name
Phoenix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know how to quote multiple replies, but holy cow do you people know your shi!t and helpful as h#ll. Yeah, I see some serious upgrades in the future, and I'm calling my damn vehicle Warthog...

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

But with all the delays, and the growing size of the Raptor, I'm wondering if anyone has any real experience swapping out a larger engine, understanding how complex it is, and ballpark what it would cost. I've got a F150 with the 3.5 EB TT and it's an amazing engine... Anyone have a ballpark idea on what it would cost to buy and swap out a 3.0 or 3.5 EB TT? Is it in the $10k range, or the $15-$20k range? More? Because while I fully get spending $100k on the Raptor (I can't see anyone being able to get below $100k with ADM for the next 3-5 years), I have zero desire to wait 3-5 years to be able to do that...

But, I might be tempted to drop a 3.0/3.5 in my Wildtrak if it's a reasonable addition... I do think the 3.5 would require a transmission swap as well to the 10R80, which I presume adds another $5-6k to the process... Although I suspect I could recoup some decent cash selling the stock engine/transmission... And I'm aware of the Hennessy VelociRaptor 400, but it doesn't really seem to be enough bang for what they're charging...

Thanks!
Well, if you sourced the parts from a wrecked late model F-150 EB, you would probably be looking at 10k in just parts (ECU, Harness, Motor, Transmission, etc) and probably another 10k minimum in a professional shop willing to try it.

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with that, I would head right over to a wrecked F-150 PB. You have to remember, there is likely a lot of concern should you need to pass emissions and prove that the vehicle wasn't "tampered with" from an emissions standpoint.

The other issue is that you would make more power per $ by modifying the 2.7 setup... You have plenty of displacement to make power with that motor (more than 550 HP is doable with a fully tricked out 2.7). Five star already has done 540 horsepower @ 5,800 rpm and 550 lb-ft of torque @ 3,850 rpm to the wheels. With a $10k budget, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone crack 600 horsepower.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Done right you are going to be way deeper than the cost of a Raptor. More powerful engine means a stronger trans, which means a stronger transfer case, stronger axles, stronger diffs, stronger driver shafts, etc. Once you have that sorted you then need to address the brakes to get all that power slowed down. 99.9% chance you would lose your driving modes and safety nannies.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks!
Call Hennessy. Just saying.

OP
OP
phoenix00

phoenix00

Wildtrak
First Name
Phoenix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, I looked... What they offered felt really expensive for the gains... I think the guys above are right, with a $10k budget I think I can surpass what Hennessy is selling at more than double the price... Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they say...
Sponsored