Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay so a little trouble with this so far. Turns out there's nothing I can directly compare that correlates our specific speaker systems. Normally for most of this I have been using spreadsheets from the F-150 to walk me into what does what but I kind of have no starting point at all because neither the current nor older one offers anything that seems concrete enough to tell me if I'm seeing the same settings. Not a huge deal just not exactly helping the discovery of changes.

Though I did have a brief moment to compare files sent by two members here that have gotten the JBL soundbar installed and flashed, both files appear to be the same outside of some radio station factory presets (I assume these are just based on local availability of the delivery area). Attached is a screenshot of the comparison of what the main write section would be. Everything below Block 4 would generally be radio presets, at least that's been a standard I've found so far. All the EQ stuff is right at the top I am guessing now. Mainly speaker layout and such but somewhere in there might be something. More digging needed just wanted to share for others if they want to do their own research.

On the left is a vehicle with 10 speaker and on the right is a 6 speaker + JBL programming

ACM.JPG
All of the addresses on the 6-speaker list with JBL that you provided are identical to my as built value without the JBL speaker.
Could this "need to get it re-programmed" be a sham so people won't install them at home?
Sponsored

ASlaugh

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t had a chance to dig through IDS/FDRS and see what possible modules get updated so I am not confident on an answer right now. That’s interesting your values are the same, I don’t believe I compared to the factory As-Built so that could have been a miss on my part. Another theory is that they are programming a DSP into the system. I also forgot to check into that originally as I was short on time. I will reinvestigate this in the next few days and see what I find. The DSP is module 783 for reference. I don’t remember if it even exists on a 6 speaker system as the physical hardware is in the subwoofer package
The standard ACM is direct to the speakers (no DSP). The LUX package connect the ACM to a DSP, which feeds the speakers. This is why the ACM mods are so different.
Most people are pulling the bass from the front channels, which is key for the sub. I am bent on finding a way to get more sound to the rear to be able to have more flexibility. If Ford wanted to protect those little OEM speakers, why not put a capacitor in the pod and give full signal through the wiring.

Last edited:

cardanfiber

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Saleen, 01 S281, 06 S281E, 19 SporTruck, 18 JLU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thought I'd share my findings on being able to replicate the FDRS JBL Soundbar 'changes' via ForScan. I upgraded the 6-speaker system with Audison components (2" dash / 6.5" kicker panel / 4" Rear / 4.300 AMP / JBL BassPro Go). In an effort to get full range on the rear speakers I went to a dealer yesterday to have them flash the ACM as-if I was installing the JBL soundbar upgrade.

I pulled my As-Built .abt files for all modules before the dealer made any changes. Dealer tech ran through the JBL software update/install and then I pulled down all the as-built .abt files after the dealer update. I just ran them through a compare and there are zero differences between the before dealer and after dealer files.

I thought for sure that there would be some change between the 2 files. There was a marked changed in the sound of the rear speakers. When the dealer first completed the update, the rear speakers sounded horrible as the pre-flash AMP settings I had needed to be changed for the new configuration. After the dealer update I had to switch the amp filter setting from full to hi and adjust the all the other levels to the rear to make them sound right again; I did note that I now had full range after the dealer update. Maybe this info will help someone trying to accomplish the same thing. I'm doing another stereo upgrade in a couple weeks and will probably run through this again to see if I missed something, but as of now I'm not confident that whatever Ford does in programming for the JBL soundbar is repeatable using ForScan.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That actually sounds promising….Maybe setting it to 00 disables the head unit DSP which could make a nice difference and is inline with the mustang video from the OP.
This actually worked for me for my upgraded rear 4" speakers. It was driving me nuts. Front 4" replacements worked well but the backs sounded just like the stock ones. After updating with forescan I'm getting bass from the 4" rears and can see the cone moving in/out - previously it was not moving at all with no bass.

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was using Forscan today to change my key fob panic button to two presses, so I thought I'd try this as well to see if it changed the sound (specifically low end) of the rear speakers. Spoiler alert... it didn't.

I first listened to a fairly bass heavy track before making any changes. I put the trebble and mid EQ's all the way down and the bass all the way up and turned up the volume to 12. I put my ear directly over the front 4", directly in front of the 6.5", and then directly under the rear 4". Here is what I found...

As everyone knows, the bass (what little there is) is obviously coming from the 6.5". I could not tell any difference between the front and rear 4" speakers (they both sounded exactly the same).

Then I updated 727-01-02 from "0901 000D 0048" to "0900 000D 0048" as noted earlier in this thread. I then listened to the same track at the same volume with the EQ's in the same positions. I did not hear any difference from my original test, nor was there any improvement or difference in the low end output from the rear 4" compared to the front 4".

The only thing I noticed that changed after I made the Forscan update was that in the Bronco's sound settings, the "Occupancy Mode" settings that allow you to toggle between "All Seats" and "Driver Focused" disappeared. Below is a picture of what the sound setting screen looks like stock (before this Forscan mod). After the Forscan mod, this screen only displayed "Tone Settings," "Balance and Fade," and "Speed Compensated Volume."

I then went back into Forscan and undid the "00" back to the original "01" and the "Occupancy Mode" setting came back.

radio.jpg
Occupancy mode dropped for me as well but my upgraded 4" rear speakers finally sound good, I am getting base and cone movement just like the upgraded front 4" speakers do. I upgraded to 4" 150w Kickers.

Thanks a ton, this was driving me nuts.

Sponsored

Jgoodwin

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ram 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This actually worked for me for my upgraded rear 4" speakers. It was driving me nuts. Front 4" replacements worked well but the backs sounded just like the stock ones. After updating with forescan I'm getting bass from the 4" rears and can see the cone moving in/out - previously it was not moving at all with no bass.
What did you change/ add in forscan to get better sound from the rear?

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did you change/ add in forscan to get better sound from the rear?
Updating the following setting through the Forescan tool and a PC unlocked some sort of power filter to the rear 4" speakers.

Screenshot_20220130-205118.png

Jgoodwin

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ram 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Updating the following setting through the Forescan tool and a PC unlocked some sort of power filter to the rear 4" speakers.

Ford Bronco Base Audio Upgrade and Forscan Screenshot_20220130-205118
Thank you, looks like I need to buy a forescan tool and download the software. Any recommendations on forescan tool?

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you, looks like I need to buy a forescan tool and download the software. Any recommendations on forescan tool?
I got this one which was the cheapest available that had the switch on it that you'll need:

FORScan ELM327 OBD2 USB Adapter for Windows, Diagnostic Coding Tool with MS-CAN/HS-CAN Switch for Ford Lincoln Mazda Mercury Series Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ8GHG...t_i_GHGQ6SDXED057VNFKNJM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There's a lot on these forums about all the other things you can do with it like unlock all GOAT modes and other mods.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We just need to figure out how to enable the jbl sound bar option...then put better speakers in the rear, tap off the rear for the amp and everything will be good.
There is a guy that works at a Ford dealer that did this last weekend....he had their tech do the update like they were installing the JBL soundbar and he reported the rears came to life. I'm just going to ask my dealer to flash, that I may install the soundbar.

Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All of the addresses on the 6-speaker list with JBL that you provided are identical to my as built value without the JBL speaker.
Could this "need to get it re-programmed" be a sham so people won't install them at home?
High pass filter from a crossover in the head unit is nothing new for sure. It Is part of the design to try and help smaller speakers sound better by not distorting from bass. The JBL can handle it, so they update just removes that high pass. Manufacturers probably don't plan for most to upgrade speaker systems.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a guy that works at a Ford dealer that did this last weekend....he had their tech do the update like they were installing the JBL soundbar and he reported the rears came to life. I'm just going to ask my dealer to flash, that I may install the soundbar.
Yeah.. really excited about that one. It's FLIP who did it.

Sounds like there's some clarity between reprogramming for the JBL and just using Forscan to change that one setting.

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manufacturers probably don't plan for most to upgrade speaker systems.
Yet, they don't provide one worth keeping stock.

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you really want to see noticeable gains you need to get a digital signal processor, it will open up any system and give you a ton of flexibility. I prefer a Rockford Fosgate 360, programed correctly it will blow your mind. Keep in mind the Bronco is not designed for sound fidelity and doesn't have any sound deadening whatsoever so at some point you just get what you get.
I went with all rockford components, amps and speakers with a compact pioneer sub woofer in my 02 ranger and I gotta say its a very solid system

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah.. really excited about that one. It's FLIP who did it.

Sounds like there's some clarity between reprogramming for the JBL and just using Forscan to change that one setting.
Yet, they don't provide one worth keeping stock.
But probably 70% of owners will not upgrade. A lot on this forum may...
Sponsored