First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Explorer 2017 F150 2021 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a base 4 door scheduled for November 15 build, problem is I own a 2500 lb popup camper with trailer brakes. It sounds like it’s going to be a major headache to add a 7 pin plug and brake controller. I currently have a 17 F 150 all set up to tow that’s paid off. I was going to trade the truck in the bronco but now considering keeping the truck and passing on the bronco. Anyone foresee a decent option in the near future to add a 7 pin and brake controller without ripping the bronco apart and hacking the wiring? Thanks
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a base 4 door scheduled for November 15 build, problem is I own a 2500 lb popup camper with trailer brakes. It sounds like it’s going to be a major headache to add a 7 pin plug and brake controller. I currently have a 17 F 150 all set up to tow that’s paid off. I was going to trade the truck in the bronco but now considering keeping the truck and passing on the bronco. Anyone foresee a decent option in the near future to add a 7 pin and brake controller without ripping the bronco apart and hacking the wiring? Thanks
You'll have to find a controller and add a converter for the turn/brake/park lights including all of the wiring. Impossible no, above average difficulty, yes.

OP
OP

Jaythor74

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You'll have to find a controller and add a converter for the turn/brake/park lights including all of the wiring. Impossible no, above average difficulty, yes.
Ok thanks, my concern was getting the converter over to a 7 pin because the Ford model appears to be for a 4 pin. If I went with a Bluetooth brake controller I would still need to integrate a properly sized 12v into the 7 pin plug on the vehicle to power the trailer brakes. My other thought was let the dealer sell it and order a 22 big bend and add the factory tow package to help things. Thanks for all your work your doing to help us

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You may be able to work out a deal with your dealership that they sell your base model and you can buy the next Big Bend with towing package at agreed upon price if someone backs out….In the mean time, put in a MY22 Big Bend order with Towing

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There should be provisions for an aftermarket brake controller, though it's just a basic "power and brake signal" connection.

Connector pinout

Ford Bronco Base model brake controller question Screenshot_20211006-122139

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i'm an electrical controls engineer and I added a 7 pin connector and a brake controller to my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Lots of wiring and a relay. Don't think I would try it on my Bronco, I did order the tow package. That Can Buss can get you in trouble real fast.
Like the idea to order a 2022 one level up with the tow package.

OP
OP

Jaythor74

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i'm an electrical controls engineer and I added a 7 pin connector and a brake controller to my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Lots of wiring and a relay. Don't think I would try it on my Bronco, I did order the tow package. That Can Buss can get you in trouble real fast.
Like the idea to order a 2022 one level up with the tow package.
I was hoping there could be a harness and simple plug and play eventually but in the mean time I hate to splice any wires. I live in NY and the bad roads and salt can expose a lot of bad splice practice. I did add the 7 pin factory harness and brake controller to my 17 F 150, but it was pretty simple and not LED PWM.The only part I was nervous about was using forscan to modify the parameters to enable the brake controller.
Sponsored