First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
I do not consider myself an off-roader or rock crawler by any means. I like to fly fish and camp in pa and some of those forest roads can be pretty rough and have deep ruts. Will the base base bronco suit my needs in this aspect? I’m assuming I don’t need lockers or bilsteins to go on forest roads but not sure... just wondering if the base model will be capable by itself.
Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BTW, do you care to share any good fly fishing spots in PA? I am mostly a salt water fly fisher in NY but looking for a cool spot to drive into the woods with my Bronco to do some fresh water fishing.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Ranger and have spent a decent amount of time on rutted forest roads. It has been fine. My Ranger has a rear locker, but I don't think I've been in a situation where it was a must. However, that's the only feature I am disappointed about the Bronco Base not having.

The #1 thing you'll need to do is add new tires. Those stock Bronco Base tires are minivan tires. I'm going to add 32" winter tires to the steelies and wait for bros to upgrade their Broncos to 35s or 37s with custom wheels. Then I'll buy their take offs.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The base bronco will get ~90% of anywhere a badlands will go. Just will require a lot more skill, some sacrifice of comfort, and knowledge of when to use the skinny pedal.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes! It’s still a Bronco and a 4X4 after all!

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very capable, have no fear.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BTW, do you care to share any good fly fishing spots in PA? I am mostly a salt water fly fisher in NY but looking for a cool spot to drive into the woods with my Bronco to do some fresh water fishing.
Try fishangler app

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This seems to get asked every other week and it may be because this is actually a forum by enthusiasts and for enthusiasts. So, we talk a lot about the Sasquatch package and the Badlands, etc.

The Base [Camp] Bronco will be great for your needs and you could easily just add slightly larger tires to go more places than you're probably willing to risk a new vehicle's body panels.

OP
OP
Dominic Nonnenmacher
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
This seems to get asked every other week and it may be because this is actually a forum by enthusiasts and for enthusiasts. So, we talk a lot about the Sasquatch package and the Badlands, etc.

The Base [Camp] Bronco will be great for your needs and you could easily just add slightly larger tires to go more places than you're probably willing to risk a new vehicle's body panels.
Awesome that’s what I was thinking, thanks for the feedback. The only mods I’m thinking of adding are 32 inch all terrains for the steelies and maybe down the road some off-road suspension, but I don’t want to end up dumping lots of money into off-road parts I realistically won’t need or use. Would rather use that money for fly fishing gear since that’s my main passion. For me the bronco will just add to the fun factor of getting to the stream or lake.

OP
OP
Dominic Nonnenmacher
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
Your Bronco Model
Base
I fly fish for native brook trout on very tiny mountain run-off streams which are basically untouched and have no pressure. Most are really isolated so I’m reluctant to share the spots I go to, but if you look up “Trout Water Classifcations” on pa boat and fish commission, it will give you a bunch of different trout streams to choose from. Also there are tons of reservoirs in pa to fish for smallmouth and largemouth bass.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say most certainly not; not in true base form it isn't capable of much at all.

The base tires alone are basically road tires; these won't do much if its anything other than bone dry. The 4x4 capability will help, but not much.

Your concern is if you ever get stuck out in wet and the ground becomes mud. Mud is a different beast to drive through, not as bad as snow and ice for most people, but similar. Recovery gear and a shovel will be manditory.

Now, if you opt for a BaseSquatch, that'll give you some real capability and at least ensure you don't bottom out in ruts or mud. Still need recovery gear, but in my opinion, recovery gear is a must on any loose ground.

Don't want Squatch, ok, then at least upgrade those base road tires to some true off road rubber with decent lugs, even if on the same base wheels. Better tires will make all the difference and you can price some options in that size on Tirerack.com to aid in planning.

The base is basically a mod platform that won't break the bank. Add about $10K-$15K in suspension, wheel, tire, bumper upgrades and armor and you can make a very capable rig with higher end suspension than a BadSquatch.