First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rear differential locker is the only option I'd like to have available for my base model. It doesn't look like Ford is offering it for the Base model. Because the rear locker will be electronic and it looks like the base uses the same differential as other models, do you think Ford will off an aftermarket option for the electronics to convert to a locking differential? Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just do the aux switches and wire it up. Dana 44 m220 rear has every locker option under the sun.

(Just keep in mind you’ll still have the weaker front dif; I’d hesitate to run anything larger than 33’s on it)

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be entirely shocked and shaken to the core if Ford Racing does not offer something to replace the open diff with. Whether its a locker or an LSD is yet to be seen. An aftermarket electronic locker poses certain challenges (like modulating the current so as to not overheat the coil), so they might choose the later.

Either way, here's something to keep in mind. It appears that Bronco uses basically the same axle as Ranger. I know there are differences in the mounting, but inside the pumpkin they are probably exactly the same. That's important in this context because the Ranger axles that do not have the locker option also do not have a traditional, bolted-on ring gear. They're welded onto the diff case instead. OTOH, if you opt for the factory e-locker, the ring is bolted like normal.

The welded ring is a problem, because the ring and pinion gears are a matched set, married for life. So, to swap in an aftermarket diff in place of the standard open diff, you need to buy not only the diff itself, but a new ring and pinion gear set. And that just made it more expensive and the install a lot more complicated. I'm betting that Bronco will follow suit.

OP
OP
ric42pars

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just do the aux switches and wire it up. Dana 44 m220 rear has every locker option under the sun.

(Just keep in mind you’ll still have the weaker front dif; I’d hesitate to run anything larger than 33’s on it)
Cool. Thanks. I want to run pizza cutter 33" 255/85R16's ST Maxx tires on the Silver steel wheels. Any hesitiation there?

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

+1
As said, stay under 33"s.

Chevy has a factory locker in its M190 on the ZR2.

ARB is about to release a M190 locker too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ric42pars

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would be entirely shocked and shaken to the core if Ford Racing does not offer something to replace the open diff with. Whether its a locker or an LSD is yet to be seen. An aftermarket electronic locker poses certain challenges (like modulating the current so as to not overheat the coil), so they might choose the later.

Either way, here's something to keep in mind. It appears that Bronco uses basically the same axle as Ranger. I know there are differences in the mounting, but inside the pumpkin they are probably exactly the same. That's important in this context because the Ranger axles that do not have the locker option also do not have a traditional, bolted-on ring gear. They're welded onto the diff case instead. OTOH, if you opt for the factory e-locker, the ring is bolted like normal.

The welded ring is a problem, because the ring and pinion gears are a matched set, married for life. So, to swap in an aftermarket diff in place of the standard open diff, you need to buy not only the diff itself, but a new ring and pinion gear set. And that just made it more expensive and the install a lot more complicated. I'm betting that Bronco will follow suit.
Hope it doesn't come to that. Hoping they decide to make e-locker available on the Base as an option. Fingers crossed.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a thought, how much would getting a aftermarket rear locking diff cost you? Honestly if it's more than the cost of the sasquatch, I'd just go with that.

OP
OP
ric42pars

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just a thought, how much would getting a aftermarket rear locking diff cost you? Honestly if it's more than the cost of the sasquatch, I'd just go with that.
Have no idea how much it would cost. I thought maybe just an electronic hookup would suffice without a big expense. I don't really want those big 35" tires or the lift that comes with it. If anything I would go to the Black Diamond package first.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have no idea how much it would cost. I thought maybe just an electronic hookup would suffice without a big expense. I don't really want those big 35" tires or the lift that comes with it. If anything I would go to the Black Diamond package first.
ARBs are $1000 across the board for the smaller differentials.

OP
OP
ric42pars

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know we don't have anything to size up but what are your thoughts on the 255/85R16 tires on the base?

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks to several for the responses as this has been on my mind too.

I've watched several videos about mechanically what is happening in a 4x4, AWD, etc. but have still had problems understanding some truck stuff here. (I was a car guy in the past and even swapped rears (gears, t-lok) for a Mustang so I have a general background)

I was under the impression that the base 4x4 would have front and rear t-loks or equivalent (automatic mechanical locking of both axles when slippage occurs on the powered wheels).

Please, please don't feel me that a base 4x4 only has one wheel driven in the rear and one in the front? That wouldn't be "4"x"4".

I do understand what a locker is and its use. I MAY want a rear locker but that's it. I definitely would want a t-lok or equivalent in both differentials.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
IMO the black diamond is a way better value, especially when looking at a 4-door. The rear locker, wash out floors, vinyl seats, rock rails, modular bumper, skid plates, etc all make up a pretty compelling package especially for only a few grand.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was under the impression that the base 4x4 would have front and rear t-loks or equivalent (automatic mechanical locking of both axles when slippage occurs on the powered wheels).

Please, please don't feel me that a base 4x4 only has one wheel driven in the rear and one in the front? That wouldn't be "4"x"4".
Sorry, the base does not include limited-slip or locking differentials. They are "open differentials" meaning that the front wheel with least traction and rear wheel with least traction will turn. HOWEVER, there is some computer assist to apply brakes to the spinning wheels and approximate the effect of a limited-slip in some circumstances.

Sasquatch will provide full locking differentials, which ensure that 1, 2, 3, or 4 wheels are driven based on the settings. But they disengage above ~20mph so they are for low-speed trail use, not high-speed offroad.

For the Raptor-ized Bronco in development, it likely will have a limited-slip in the front and e-locker in the rear for better high-speed offroad and street performance. With this setup, you apply brakes and throttle simultaneously in situations when full front traction is desired.
Sponsored