Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will start by saying that I have not swapped speakers or added a sub to a car in over 20 years. The base system in the Bronco was quite terrible. The best I can explain it is that it sounded like someone was singing into a shoebox.

We did not go overboard and honestly bought what Best Buy had in stock as a test to plan for future upgrades. To my surprise swapping over to $30 kenwood 4 inch two way speaker in the dash made a significant change to the clarity of the sound at higher volumes. It takes all of 15 minutes to swap the dash speakers out.

I attempted to take pictures during the upgrade but they did not turn out as I would have liked. We did put together a high-level install video and sound comparison of factory vs upgrade while half of the Bronco's speakers had been replaced.

I also put together a wiring diagram however I do not have tools to test positive vs negative, maybe someone here will know based on the wire color? I determined based on ear however I am not 100% that I got it right.

**7/30/21 Edit:

Last night I replaced the 6.5 JBL speakers I put in (2.3 Ohm) with 6.5 Kicker CS 4 Ohm speakers for the kick panels. I also rewired the JBL Bass ProGo with 14 gauge speaker wire.

The JBL now sounds amazing. I actually had to turn down the bass knob to 50% and drop the Bass on the received down to 35%.

Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram IMG_20210726_135132_01__01

Edit to add update video:

The JBL Bass Pro Go turned out to be exceptional after changing out the wiring. We also swapped for 4 ohm 6.5 kickpanel speakers.

The end result sounds better than the B&O in our 2021 F250.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually I have the drivers side dash wrong. I will update the diagram and edit/repost it.

It should show:

Driver Dash
Gray-Blue
Green-Blue (the green is almost teal)

*Edit: Updated diagram attached to first post.

Last edited:

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You sir are the very reason forums are the best. I can't wait to read about how people are upgrading their rides. Thanks for sharing!

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is an awesome find for the 4" speaker replacement improvement.

Sponsored

YTFORD

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST & 2020 GT PP2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much height was there for the upgraded dash speaker? Did your kenwood bump into the factory cover?

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You sir are the very reason forums are the best. I can't wait to read about how people are upgrading their rides. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! We are trying to contribute as much as possible. I am so used to researching before jumping into a project and in this case trying to fill in the gaps as much as possible. I just wish I was am expert, at best I am a simple garage tools novice.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI, if you are upgrading the speakers, buy these type of adapters to plug into the factory harness if you don't want to cut the factory plug.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Excellent video. Thank you for sharing it with us.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice findings!!! I was expecting to have the review on the whole system once you installed everything with the Bass.

I hope you can do another video with the entire system setup

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, you guys are an inspiration! I've been toying with the idea of how to upgrade eventually and have never owned a new car with the fancy infotainment setups, and was scared (based on comments here) that doing something aftermarket could muck up the electrical system. It seems like what you guys did is pretty low risk but definitely high reward! Keep us posted on how it works out!

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will start by saying that I have not swapped speakers or added a sub to a car in over 20 years. The base system in the Bronco was quite terrible. The best I can explain it is that it sounded like someone was singing into a shoebox.

We did not go overboard and honestly bought what Best Buy had in stock as a test to plan for future upgrades. To my surprise swapping over to $30 kenwood 4 inch two way speaker in the dash made a significant change to the clarity of the sound at higher volumes. It takes all of 15 minutes to swap the dash speakers out.

I attempted to take pictures during the upgrade but they did not turn out as I would have liked. We did put together a high-level install video and sound comparison of factory vs upgrade while half of the Bronco's speakers had been replaced.

I also put together a wiring diagram however I do not have tools to test positive vs negative, maybe someone here will know based on the wire color? I determined based on ear however I am not 100% that I got it right.

Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram IMG_20210726_135132_01__01
Great how-to! Thanks!

A few questions:
  • Will you just set the JBL unit in the back loose, or mount it somehow?
  • Did you wire BOTH 6.5" speakers back to the JBL, or just one? (I'm guessing that the plug for the JBL has L and R audio inputs, but maybe you only need to use just one.)
  • Was the grommet for the firewall already there and you poked a hole through it for the JBL power wire?
  • What gauge speaker and power wire did you use?
Thanks!

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys are 2 for 2! Great videos... keep it up!!!
Sponsored