Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a little more work to do on the sub to get it performing at it best. Once done we will make a video of top down and top up both sitting still and moving around 50 mph.
No doubt changing the cheap factory paper speakers will make a huge difference, but what I want to see/hear is once you've completed your initial setup, how the system sounds driving with the top down. thanks for sharing.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you so much! Answered every question I had on the dash and rear pod thanks for the video.

Now off to order my speakers as I was fearful the dash speakers were going to be PITA to get to.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you so much! Answered every question I had on the dash and rear pod thanks for the video.

Now off to order my speakers as I was fearful the dash speakers were going to be PITA to get to.
I was very concerned about accessing the dash speakers also. It did not take too long exploring the dash to figure out that it really was not too bad. To remove only the grill portion. Using an actual dash tool would probably make it very simple.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for the video! My Bronco should be here in a week or so. After watching, I think I will replace the four 4" speakers. I am mechanically challenged, but I think I can handle those. Replacing the 6" ers and adding a sub might overwhelm me.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just ordered replacement JL C1 series speakers to replace all the factory ones...Crutchfield owes you money...LOL.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Maybe it’s just me, or my phone, but the stock speakers sound a lot better to my ear than the 4” Kenwood you swapped in. The Kenwood sounds tinny and cheap, which is what I would expect for $30…. I tried to listen at different volumes and without watching to screen to listen for quality differences….. you definitely lost the richness of sound there with that speaker swap.
Impossible. The base speakers are literally the worst I have ever heard in a vehicle.

Sponsored

Dogstyle

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Sport 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm a big fan of Kenwood. Associated with Garmin is a great set up (non sync members ;)).
Finding out you got these at Wallymart (non union) is great. Hopefully we have the same deal up hear in Ontario.

Cheers

Blk Diamond Cheese/2D/2.7/SASQ/MIC/MID/TOW

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anybody have a link to the right wiring adapters to buy? For my BMW I know there was an eBay guy who was selling the female connector with wires that would connect to the aftermarket speakers - no modification to stock stuff needed. Assume there’s something similar for Ford I’m just not sure what specifically to get.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great how-to! Thanks!

A few questions:
  • Will you just set the JBL unit in the back loose, or mount it somehow?
  • Did you wire BOTH 6.5" speakers back to the JBL, or just one? (I'm guessing that the plug for the JBL has L and R audio inputs, but maybe you only need to use just one.)
  • Was the grommet for the firewall already there and you poked a hole through it for the JBL power wire?
  • What gauge speaker and power wire did you use?
Thanks!
I am not quite sure about mounting the JBL? I considered doing something on the swing gate where the accessory ready points are. I wish it fit under the rear seat but it is just barely too big to fit on the ledge under the seat. It definitely needs to be secure before hitting the trails.

The JBL was wired to both rear speakers at first and was very underwhelming, I rewired it to the front drivers side kick panel and it became twice as loud, I do still need to wire it to the passenger kick panel 6.5 but I ran out of time before having to take the Bronco to 4WP for the leveling kit install. This will be the first thing I do once we get it back, after pictures of course.

The grommet in the firewall was already there, unused in our Outer Banks, not sure if it is used for the B&O or something else in other trims? I poked a hole just smaller than the power line to push through the power wire and still have a tight seal.

The amp install kit we purchased came with 18 gauge speaker wire.

Over all I did a ton of poking around to learn about the Bronco while completing the install. Now I have a few hours of finalizing the install and making everything look as clean as possible. Tesa tape, soldering, and some form of insulation in the pods are next up to wrap up this project.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a big fan of Kenwood. Associated with Garmin is a great set up (non sync members ;)).
Finding out you got these at Wallymart (non union) is great. Hopefully we have the same deal up hear in Ontario.

Cheers

Blk Diamond Cheese/2D/2.7/SASQ/MIC/MID/TOW
We went to Best Buy but I wouldn't doubt that Wal Mart carries them, Amazon too.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the video! My Bronco should be here in a week or so. After watching, I think I will replace the four 4" speakers. I am mechanically challenged, but I think I can handle those. Replacing the 6" ers and adding a sub might overwhelm me.
The gift cards I used may not be the best choice, I would recommend some good interior tools just to be safe and make it as easy as possible. Don't be too scared but don't apply too much force either. Hitting them at the exact right place near the clips releases them rather easily. If you end up feeling like you are forcing them it is time to stop and try another spot

Good luck! Let me know if you run into any trouble I will try to help out.
Sponsored