Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is it me or do the new speakers she installed sound tinny and distorted? I put on my earbuds and sounds completely different vs. my computer speaker. I know the stock ones don't sound great and are muted, but that distortion would kill me. Yes the "high's are louder on the Kenwood but they don't sound good.

Obvious question, but have people played enough with the fade/treble and base adjustments on the factory unit?

Regardless if you upgrade the factory 4"s I'd go with a silk tweeter at least.

Dogstyle

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Sport 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We went to Best Buy but I wouldn't doubt that Wal Mart carries them, Amazon too.
I sit corrected :unsure:

Blk Diamond Cheese/2D/2.7/SASQ/MIC/MID/TOW

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Matching the correct OHM in a stereo setup is crucial. I would make sure those speakers match the head stereo unit before making them permanent. Glad someone brought this up and great video, I am ready to upgrade my first edition speakers now :)
Stock speakers had 4ohm stamped on the basket. I did not verify with a meter.

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The two systems are wired totally differently. On base the other two are passed through to the dash speakers. Only two wires from a dsp on B&O.

9151384E-0E22-442E-8782-23536EA01B61.jpeg
B27DB1D0-053E-481A-B763-088E0E09C7B7.png
B73B61F6-1FD0-4F19-A94C-0175AC9A33E9.png
DId you make these diagrams yourself or get them from somewhere? Do you know if the 4 wire pass-through plug is run in parallel or if the plug separates them out? Also, is the factory main unit the same with a digital plug-in module for BO or are they completely different? Really hope this thread gets very detailed so I can be ready when mine shows up

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BroncoTPA can you please take some pictures of the stock 4" speaker connectors for us (both front and back speakers if they look different)? The kick panel 6.5 we already have pictures and link of a working harness, so that one we can skip.

Also, can you look on the stock speaker to see if there is any spec? Mainly looking for resistance (2 ohm, 3 ohm or 4 ohm, etc) ohm could also be written as a Greek alphabet Omega.

thank you!!!
I am in the process of upgrading as well, hopefully this is helpful.

Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram IMG_3001
Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram IMG_3002
Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram IMG_3005

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am in the process of upgrading as well, hopefully this is helpful.

Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram IMG_3005
That is perfect, thank you!! That also confirms that the commonly found "Ford Speaker Harness 1998-UP" does not work on the Bronco. I'll do some research and see if I can find something that looks to work. Will report back. Thank you!

Peter

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it me or do the new speakers she installed sound tinny and distorted? I put on my earbuds and sounds completely different vs. my computer speaker. I know the stock ones don't sound great and are muted, but that distortion would kill me. Yes the "high's are louder on the Kenwood but they don't sound good.

Obvious question, but have people played enough with the fade/treble and base adjustments on the factory unit?

I absolutely hear some of the tinniness in the installed speakers. Much less muffled but I’m curious if the stock ones are muffled as a result of water proofing. Definitely an upgrade I’m looking to do but personally I’d rather go with water resistant/marine speakers vs regular car audio speakers.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing! I saw a video of a speaker install on a Jeep where they added a cotton like material inside of the roll bar speaker bar. It should definitely help in the Bronco too!
From back in my audio sales days, I think the batting effectively makes the speaker enclosure act "larger" by damping the sound waves behind the speaker. It can potentially cancel sound waves that affect the lower end response of the speaker as well. Hopefully the pods were designed to work with the speakers, but I will likely add some batting to the rear enclosure as well, why not?. I don't think the rears will ever sound ok without a bit more power, but I am starting with the dash, then the kick panels, then the rear and if needed, an amp. If none of that makes it decent (good sound quality top on, enough volume top off) I will try and add a sub in the stock location in the rear.

Sponsored

Orange_Bronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Matching the correct OHM in a stereo setup is crucial. I would make sure those speakers match the head stereo unit before making them permanent. Glad someone brought this up and great video, I am ready to upgrade my first edition speakers now :)
Someone else said they were 4ohm but would it be okay to change the dash ones out with a 3ohms

VegasKoop

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

No, you're not the only one lol. My guess is that the factory 4s are more of a mid range loud speaker due the lack of door mounts that traditionally deliver mids and volume. They rely on placement to deliver highs more so than their components.
The Kenwoods are likely a true two way that focuses more on the high end clarity which, without decent mid range, sound tinny. They likely aren't designed to handle the same frequency and power as the factorys.
There are quality 4" two ways out there that actually pound the mids but not for the price OP paid. Expect $200ish

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone else said they were 4ohm but would it be okay to change the dash ones out with a 3ohms
I don't think anyone would want to be responsible for you smoking your factory system, but a 3ohm speaker should be ok. I ordered some Infinity 4" and they are 3ohm. The resistance is "nominal" so depending on the signal going through the speaker, it will vary anyway. What I can't tell is if the front speakers are wired in series or parallel. That would make a difference. If you changed to 2 (dash and kick panel), 3 ohm speakers per side, wired in parallel, might present to little resistance (1.5 ohm nominal) and the factory system could experience some trouble with shutting down, over heating or even the outputs being damaged. Maybe when the OP takes things apart, he can check the resistance at the kick panel speaker to make sure?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Judging audio quality via a YouTube recording is folly. You need to take their word is sounds better.

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Judging audio quality via a YouTube recording is folly. You need to take their word is sounds better.
You can clearly hear the bass distortion of the new speaker. It sounds terrible. The factory speaker sounds muffled but it isn't distorting at least.
Sponsored