Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if this is correct we'd need a 4 channel amp for the speakers not a 6 channel amp(if that's even a thing!). I'd also need to make sure the RMS amp power is no greater than the lowest RMS ratings of the six speakers I choose correct? Also with the stock radio do we need a sound processor to hook up an amp?
Not necessarily, but it may make sense to "bi amplify" the front speakers, using the electronics to send the right signals to the kick panel speakers and dash. They do make 5 and 6 channel amps (ADS used to make an incredible 6 channel amp, probably not in business anymore). Most aftermarket amplifiers have power supplies and outputs that can pass more power and handle lower speaker resistance (2 or even 1 ohm loads) so running the dash and kick panel speakers off 2 channels, in parallel, wouldn't pose an issue (verify the specs of the speakers and amps before you make any decisions). I look forward to seeing more installs and options like the OPs!

ADS is still in business and makes 6 channel amps :sneaky: http://www.adsaudio.cc/webs/carAudio/detail?id=1000058
Sponsored

Last edited:

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

wondering if there is a way to modify the opening to fit a bigger speaker?

Falling into a rabbit hole here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wondering if there is a way to modify the opening to fit a bigger speaker?

Falling into a rabbit hole here.
I don't think so, at least not the the rear pods for sure. The 6.5 kick panels, maybe if you figure out how to mount them to the plastic kickpanel itself. Other than that they are mounted to the body of the Bronco. The dash locations would probably need to be completely reworked.

I would imagine there will be options to add speaker pods, possibly with the "bronco bolt" accessory ready points.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these the ones you got?
1627518944975.png
I went with the 6.5 for the kick panel and depending on how they sound I will try the 4 inch over the Kenwood's from my original post. The JBLs I bought for the kick panels are not 4 ohm so I will swap them for the kicker to see how the sound improves.
Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram Screenshot_20210728-212651

Jmschultz22

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Impala, 2017 Ford Explorer,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@BroncoTPA can you please take some pictures of the stock 4" speaker connectors for us (both front and back speakers if they look different)? The kick panel 6.5 we already have pictures and link of a working harness, so that one we can skip.

Also, can you look on the stock speaker to see if there is any spec? Mainly looking for resistance (2 ohm, 3 ohm or 4 ohm, etc) ohm could also be written as a Greek alphabet Omega.

thank you!!!
Here you go! I can tell you that I used the harnesses for the 6-1/2” and hard wired the rest. I also made sure my polarities all were correct.

F6301129-1DEB-4E3E-AAE2-64D772655045.jpeg

E964F8AD-EEAF-4C01-BBE7-28FAE58B855A.jpeg

463D37AE-C81B-41AD-B9F0-D294BA40E954.jpeg

7D65EFF9-05AB-4A35-B2FC-2A0AAB0DE5A6.jpeg

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BTW, this is kinda helpfull,
Crutchfield is great and this video was really thorough. The only thing he didn't mention (surprisingly, considering how thorough the video is), is the difference between suspended and pole-mounted tweeters in a two-way speaker. The suspended mount is a better option as it doesn't run the mount through the woofer cone which reduces the surface area of the woofer. It's a bit more challenging to find suspended tweeters in a reasonably economical speaker so that may have to be a compromise for those wanting to stick to a reasonable budget.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
how bad is the head unit? I was thinking of changing the speakers and adding an amp.
I couldn't find any specs on it. Considering it's the base stereo, I imagine it's "adequate." If you like a lot of bass punch, you'll surely be happier with an amp. For those that don't need the rearview mirror to vibrate :), just a speaker upgrade could be enough if the base system doesn't have quite the sound quality they are looking for. I'm getting the B&O and hoping it will be good enough that I don't need to spend yet-more money on the stereo. I tweak the settings as much as possible to get the best sound out of the system, as bass, mid and treble all at middle settings is never the best. Sometimes I even tweak the fader a notch or two, and I always dial in a little speed-sensitive volume control. With the Bronco probably being a little louder at highway speeds, I'll probably end up setting it a little higher than other vehicles.

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
spitballing here (and not feeling too strongly either way), but it's possible that the parallel split point is built into the connector on the 6.5 speaker's side. This way it guarantees that the 6.5 is connected for the 4" to receive power, possibly for resistance/power reasons.

EDIT: however, if the wiring on the 6.5 goes bad for some reason, it'd still overfeed power to the 4", so that doesn't make a lot of sense... I think I'm leaning toward agreeing that this is a series connection...

Peter

I believe you are on the right path here. From what it looks like from the plug all 4 wires are there. 2 coming in and 2 coming out. The original factory plug on speaker side must route back. The wires from the new adapter plug shows 6 wires. That would tell me that 2 are for the the kick and the others are for the dash. Now if all are connected to the kick then it would make it essentially a series circuit requiring the kick to be plugged in. If instead the other wires were twisted together they could act as pass-through and if the user wanted to add a crossover that would be the place to do it. I'm sure this was intended for component speakers.

Sponsored

Cbarczak

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here you go! I can tell you that I used the harnesses for the 6-1/2” and hard wired the rest. I also made sure my polarities all were correct.

F6301129-1DEB-4E3E-AAE2-64D772655045.jpeg

E964F8AD-EEAF-4C01-BBE7-28FAE58B855A.jpeg

463D37AE-C81B-41AD-B9F0-D294BA40E954.jpeg

7D65EFF9-05AB-4A35-B2FC-2A0AAB0DE5A6.jpeg
Sorry, I went through the thread and cannot seem to find the link to the harness you used....could you send it to me or let me know where you got the harness adapter for the 6 1/2s? TY!

EDIT: -----Ok I got in there and pulled my speakers, found the Metra 72-5602 adapter, and headed to BestBuy after work to pickup a pair and try them out. Ty anyway!

Last edited:

Jmschultz22

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Impala, 2017 Ford Explorer,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry, I went through the thread and cannot seem to find the link to the harness you used....could you send it to me or let me know where you got the harness adapter for the 6 1/2s? TY!

EDIT: -----Ok I got in there and pulled my speakers, found the Metra 72-5602 adapter, and headed to BestBuy after work to pickup a pair and try them out. Ty anyway!
Sorry, been super busy this week with work. Make sure you grab the Metra 82-56055 speaker adaptor as the opening is larger than the 6-1/2" and you need that to fit.

Photo Jul 14, 6 05 05 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 14, 6 05 11 PM.jpg

schlava

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250; 2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok so far what I think is needed is
Metra 82-56055 - spacers for any 6.5 speakers to be installed in kick panel
Metra 72-5602 - wiring harness for 6.5 speakers to direct mount to oem

What about wiring harness for 4"?

Cbarczak

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry, been super busy this week with work. Make sure you grab the Metra 82-56055 speaker adaptor as the opening is larger than the 6-1/2" and you need that to fit.

Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram Photo Jul 14, 6 05 11 PM

Ford Bronco Base Outer Banks 2021 Bronco Speakers Upgrade Tutorial -- With Stereo Wiring Diagram Photo Jul 14, 6 05 11 PM
No worries, appreciate the info! My Memphis speakers are due to be here Monday.

Should have plenty of time over the weekend to get the adapters.

How is the sound from the Focals? Also, if you replaced the 4", did you install a capacitor in line?

I didn't check the one that is on the stock speakers to see the size but that's on my list.

Thanks - Chris

Cbarczak

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok so far what I think is needed is
Metra 82-56055 - spacers for any 6.5 speakers to be installed in kick panel
Metra 72-5602 - wiring harness for 6.5 speakers to direct mount to oem

What about wiring harness for 4"?

I haven't gotten the adapter for the 4" yet, but I got them on Amazon so I can return if they are not correct. l hope to find out by next week.
Sponsored