John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you end up buying adapters to make the wiring easier? If so, which ones worked?

Thanks
No I didn’t .just clipped off the plugs going into the old speakers and soldered in the jumpers that came with the Pioneer speakers
Sponsored

YTFORD

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST & 2020 GT PP2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can someone please confirm that the passenger dash speaker positive wire is the violet with grey stripe?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For anyone still trying to figure out how to take the kick panel off the driver-side door... it's the same as the passenger side, however, there are two bolts in the footrest that you need to unscrew.

You can access them by taking a flat head screwdriver and prying the textured top of the footrest from the base. A pretty easy step.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Figured i would add this link since ive been waiting for this. Gives you some options, i will def check out that base unit.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Figured i would add this link since ive been waiting for this. Gives you some options, i will def check out that base unit.

Thanks for sharing the updated video!

Our install is not 100% complete, I still want to find the right harness adapters and poly fill, but at this time we are extremely happy with the sound.

It is now too loud lol (I can't believe I said that, I must be getting old). We often find our happy place around volume level 12 now rather than 20+. Much cleaner highs and super deep Bass even with the JBL set to 50%.

Top up sounds the best however we now have full sound running with the top and doors off.

I highly recommend swapping the speakers out, especially the 4 inch and adding a powered sub.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just completed the upgrade of the 4 four inch speakers on my base system, but in my case I used Pioneer TS-G400's, which are also 2 way and similar in design to the Kenwoods. Definite high end improvement over stock and imaging with the tweeters is better. When I was removing the factory four inchers I noticed that each had a crossover capacitor installed, which I suspect rolls off the lows to these. I did not notice any bass overloading at high volumes through the Pioneers so I am quite happy with the improvement. Its worth playing with the tone controls on the Sync 4 after installation of the new speakers. Now I don't run the treble up to 100 %! No problems with speaker grill interference with the Pioneers either. I did also buy the 6.5 inch Kenwood speakers mentioned in the video, but I am a little reluctant to replace them for two reasons.... the video stated that the installation took a long time, and the improvement in sound wasn't as dramatic as replacing the four inch speakers. So maybe tackle that another day. Next stop subwoofer, need to do some research on options there.

@CLE_B̶r̶o̶n̶c̶o̶_Browns mention the foot rest/dead pedal has a cover on it that can be removed using a flathead screwdriver to reveal 2 bolts. Once removed the complete kick panel comes out. I did not realize that when poking around and completing my install, I accessed the speaker simply by removing the grill portion only but honestly it was a pain, ended up buying my fingers up and cursing quite a bit lol.

It sounds like the bolts CLE_B̶r̶o̶n̶c̶o̶_Browns found will make swapping the 6.5 kick panel speakers just as simple as the 4 inch.

I cannot promise swapping the 6.5 will make a huge difference, I assume they have to but it is not as apparent as it was swapping the 4 inch speakers.

We are loving the JBL Bass Pro Go. We snagged it on Amazon for $350. For that price it is great. Awesome sound after I rewired it and it takes up very little room. I may try to move it to under the rear seat. It fits but there is a little ledge that needs to be accounted for. The idea that it is water proof is nice.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Swapping the 6.5's turned lower-level mids into cleaner sound. For me and my music, the stock units tended to create more of a "knock" than a "thump."

My setup is:
- 4x JBL Club 422F
- 2x JBL Club 622 (these are 3 Ohm and I have not had any problems yet)
- JBL BassPro SL2

Just received the sub today so I haven't tested that yet, but everything else was installed and sounds great.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for sharing the updated video!

Our install is not 100% complete, I still want to find the right harness adapters and poly fill, but at this time we are extremely happy with the sound.

It is now too loud lol (I can't believe I said that, I must be getting old). We often find our happy place around volume level 12 now rather than 20+. Much cleaner highs and super deep Bass even with the JBL set to 50%.

Top up sounds the best however we now have full sound running with the top and doors off.

I highly recommend swapping the speakers out, especially the 4 inch and adding a powered sub.
Did you install a amp or plan on it?

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you install a amp or plan on it?
I would argue that no amp is needed for the 4 inch or 6.5 inch speakers.

The JBL Bass Pro Go is a powered sub that has a built in amp. It is on the smaller side.

dduvic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will start by saying that I have not swapped speakers or added a sub to a car in over 20 years. The base system in the Bronco was quite terrible. The best I can explain it is that it sounded like someone was singing into a shoebox.

We did not go overboard and honestly bought what Best Buy had in stock as a test to plan for future upgrades. To my surprise swapping over to $30 kenwood 4 inch two way speaker in the dash made a significant change to the clarity of the sound at higher volumes. It takes all of 15 minutes to swap the dash speakers out.

I attempted to take pictures during the upgrade but they did not turn out as I would have liked. We did put together a high-level install video and sound comparison of factory vs upgrade while half of the Bronco's speakers had been replaced.

I also put together a wiring diagram however I do not have tools to test positive vs negative, maybe someone here will know based on the wire color? I determined based on ear however I am not 100% that I got it right.

**7/30/21 Edit:

Last night I replaced the 6.5 JBL speakers I put in (2.3 Ohm) with 6.5 Kicker CS 4 Ohm speakers for the kick panels. I also rewired the JBL Bass ProGo with 14 gauge speaker wire.

The JBL now sounds amazing. I actually had to turn down the bass knob to 50% and drop the Bass on the received down to 35%.

IMG_20210726_135132_01__01.jpg
Without really knowing what I'm doing (I have installed speakers before in a car without problem though) I replaced the factory 4" speakers with these: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-4-2-way-coaxial-speakers-pair-black/6065206.p?skuId=6065206 Pioneer 2-way coaxial speakers. I replaced all 4 with these. They actually sound worse than the factory, which I find hard to believe so I must be doing something wrong. The base actually has the front speakers popping loudly. This isn't with the volume too high or the base turned up beyond normal.

What am I doing wrong? Also, should I bipass the low pass filter on the rear speakers, all they are playing now are the highs.

Thanks to anyone in advance with advice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without really knowing what I'm doing (I have installed speakers before in a car without problem though) I replaced the factory 4" speakers with these: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-4-2-way-coaxial-speakers-pair-black/6065206.p?skuId=6065206 Pioneer 2-way coaxial speakers. I replaced all 4 with these. They actually sound worse than the factory, which I find hard to believe so I must be doing something wrong. The base actually has the front speakers popping loudly. This isn't with the volume too high or the base turned up beyond normal.

What am I doing wrong? Also, should I bipass the low pass filter on the rear speakers, all they are playing now are the highs.

Hmmm, at first I wasn't sure which wires were positive or negative for a proper connection and I did it by ear. Even with the wires mixed up between positive and negative I did not experience any popping.

I am not quite sure what to recommend other than making sure that the connections are solid. Any lose connection would creating distortion or possibly popping? I am also no expert. I am certain someone here can provide better guidance than myself.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Swapping the 6.5's turned lower-level mids into cleaner sound. For me and my music, the stock units tended to create more of a "knock" than a "thump."

My setup is:
- 4x JBL Club 422F
- 2x JBL Club 622 (these are 3 Ohm and I have not had any problems yet)
- JBL BassPro SL2

Just received the sub today so I haven't tested that yet, but everything else was installed and sounds great.
Good choice on the JBL Clubs... I've used those and the Infinity REF series more than anything else. Mainly due to the high efficiency and lower impedance, they make working with the stock amp doable. But both also sound really good.

Gobraphil

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good choice on the JBL Clubs... I've used those and the Infinity REF series more than anything else. Mainly due to the high efficiency and lower impedance, they make working with the stock amp doable. But both also sound really good.
JBL Club 422s come with a set of trim tools to help pop off panels as well..
I have 4 of them and 2 JL C2 650xs waiting for my Bronco to arrive.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have installed the same speakers. I think the highs are definitely improved over stock. I did notice that the factory speakers had a bass bypass capacitor installed, so that limits the bass signal coming to the speakers. You might consider buying a pair of those and trying it on the front speakers. I see they are available at Amazon for $ 10 a pair.

dduvic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have installed the same speakers. I think the highs are definitely improved over stock. I did notice that the factory speakers had a bass bypass capacitor installed, so that limits the bass signal coming to the speakers. You might consider buying a pair of those and trying it on the front speakers. I see they are available at Amazon for $ 10 a pair.
It sounds like you aren’t having the same issues as I. Did you replace all 4 4” with these? Did you also replace the 6.5” speakers? Thanks
Sponsored