Base SAS vs Badlands SAS $9000, What We Get and Questions

PowerTools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab, 2003 SportTrac
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always thought the high level dash had nothing to do with the infotainment, but rather the instrument cluster. My Ranger XLT has the standard dash and the Lariat comes with a high level dash that has more digital displays. I missed the apparent notice about that not materializing for the Bronco.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

goatman, you're one of the go to guys for sage advise so anything I say will be less, but:

Budget aside the non Sas Badlands is , IMHO, the best vehicle build possible, lockers, SBD and 33's (I think the Sas 35's are a bit much). Considering budget Base Sas is a phenomenal value, but no tint and those extra large tires. All that said, I went another way.

Question: "
"Full underbody protection (front comes with bumper, all have gas tank skid)"

I think this is true, all have fuel tank skid, but has it been verified?

Also flip @ Ruxer has some decent discounting on accessories, about 20%

portland_lol

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
isn't the reason people buy the badlands because they can live without squanch in lieu of all the other off road components.

like some poster said. the base squanch is a pretty good deal. even if you upgrade to metal bumpers.

you change the look and stance and upgrade tires/wheels. not to mention shocks, and get several other things. these package things are done by many in some varying degree with aftermarket parts, but ford does it for you hassle free.

the big loss for some people is the rubber floors and vinyl seats imo. but contrary to belief not that many will be leaving the top off in a downpour or even taking a hose to the inside floors. still, it's easier to clean and will probably wear better that the fabric.

i personally can live without squanch. and i also can live without extreme off road stuff.

my quandary is between base and doing upgrades or black diamond and doing less upgrades but with the vinyl/rubber which is something that might not be easily done

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2dr base sas is by far the best deal. But with that said, if you need the mid package (eg my wife wants me to get heated seats and remote start), the next best bang for your buck IMO is the BD sas. It's $3k less than a badlands sas for everything but the swaybar disconnect and "upgraded" head/tail lights. It's a nice in-between sweet spot IMO. However, if you want the big screen, adaptive CC, or manual with the good BL suspension, then your stuck paying big bucks for a BL (and if I was made of money, I would go all out and get a BL lux sas).

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yep, that's where I got all the info I posted. I know the differences. Wondered about the dash, question seems to be answered. Wondered about the touchscreen.

Before comparing these two.....

What do you want to do? Now, and end game with the build. Then reevaluate everything asked here.
Oh, I know what I want. And how I'll use it. Need both lockers, the bigger M210 front end, the Position sensitive shocks, the skid plates, rock rails, aux switches. I'm good with 33" tires, but would be fine with 35's also. Have no plans to lift it, have no doubt I can stay with my Jeep friends on 35's and 37's in the Bronco with 33's or 35's, and it needs to be a comfortable daily driver and be towed behind my motorhome. My wife being able to easily get into it is a must, and she cannot easily get into a SAS vehicle. However, I decided the Rock Slide Engineering rock rails with drop down steps are a must, making the SAS an option. A disconnect sway bar is also a must, but still wondering what the aftermarket will produce for non Badlands Broncos, like the 4WP's disco sway bar (which I understand they will be offering for the Bronco).

Just thinking out loud. And, since I put together that comparison I thought I'd post it.

I was pretty set on the Badlands non-SAS. I know I would be very happy with it. But, Basesquatch with aftermarket disco sway bar and saving a few grand is tempting, especially since I'm already going to add $2000 worth of rock sliders with steps.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Knowing that I would want to put my own off-road bits & pieces on it... I ordered the base with the sasquatch package and the auxiliary switches only. The squatch components would be hard to duplicate for the price of the package.

My experience has also been that purpose built bolt on after market parts work out much better than the the typical manufacturer's "super special off-road" parts (which seem to be designed for looks more than anything else).

I want as few "extras" as possible... I can do without all that lane assist, big screen, heated seat crap.
Sponsored